• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crickets too big for beardie?

Olivia Alvarado

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a seven inch bearded dragon and was wondering what size was too big for it and how to tell the size/age of crickets in general

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
I have a seven inch bearded dragon and was wondering what size was too big for it and how to tell the size/age of crickets in general
Look on a site like RainbowMealworms, and you'll see them listed out with age/size, like 3week, 1/4" (that's off the top of my head, so 1/4" may not be the 3week size, but just to give you the idea). Find a size that is no bigger than the space between the beardie's eyes. Also bear in mind there are many feeder options, so you can have some variety, whether in addition to crickets or instead of. You don't want mealworms (too much chitin - hard on digestion/potential impact risk), but roaches, silkworms, phoenix worms (BSFL) are all good, and some others like wax worms make nice occasional treats.