• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Constipation? Prolapse? Please help! (Warning: gross pics)

Mark W

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The day before yesterday Ms. Eliza was digging around and was very happy and feisty. I thought she was just in a good mood. All of the sudden she starts having an enormous poop -- all splattery and had some white junk in it too. I was happy for her, since she doesn't like to eat a lot and hardly ever poops. She's just content, I guess, with little. She's old, so I guess it makes sense.

Anyways, a little later I notice she has some poop hanging out. She's trying to poop but can't. I assume that she'll eventually get it out but let it go. I pray about it and wait -- next morning its still there. Then this black, dark poop-like stuff is still there, last night. Then this morning. Its still happening now, a good 48 hours later. I've just now been putting her into the bath out of concern for her, giving her a warm soak to help her. I added some powdered mild laxative which I suppose would act as a sort of enema. I also added some sugar to the water, which is supposed to soften the "stool". I took some pictures and I should warn you, they are quite disgusting. My camera isn't very good so its a little hard to see, so I'll describe it first.

The stuff is now brownish-green, and its not completely solid. It is soft and looks almost like a small tree with branches sticking out in rows. Through the middle there is some sort of string substance. This can't be an organ, I am certain, because the only thing Beardies are known to poop out is that pinkish thing. Ms. Eliza went through a prolapse a few years back but it was treated easily at the vet. Now, here's the pictures, you all tell me what I should do:

j5zdq1.jpg

*Note all of the sand that's been washed out.

1zpmzwy.jpg

* Look at it, it looks like some kind of plant or something! What is this? Also note the string substance at the end. Apologies for blur.

2jfgaw8.jpg

* Here is a little clearer. The substance/poop is just smaller so details are harder to see.

ofxeeh.jpg

* Apologies again -- hope no one was eating! :( I had to turn her over and she didn't like taking this one. But you can see whatever it is a little clearer!

2agw1tu.jpg

* Here's pretty much the same thing from a different angle.

Alright guys, please, tell me what to do. What is this thing? Dried poop, right? Please let it be just some kind of poop. Please offer prayers and helpful info.

Thank you in advance for swift responses.
God Bless.

Mark W

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Addendum: She's trying to, I think, poop this thing out right now, but to no success. Recommendations: more bath? A special remedy?

If this is some kind of disease I can get her to a vet tomorrow, but circumstances at home make that only theoretical. Is it possible that this is something that can be handled here?

Mark W

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm sorry to be impatient, know everyone has things to do, but really need help. She may not make it unless I have an idea how to help her.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
What do you feed her? What has she had most recently to eat? Have you tried putting on gloves and maybe help her ease it out? I know sounds gross but maybe she's tired from pushing it out.

Mark W

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
What do you feed her? What has she had most recently to eat? Have you tried putting on gloves and maybe help her ease it out? I know sounds gross but maybe she's tired from pushing it out.
She doesn't like to eat much. I usually feed her fruits and vegetables. Sometimes I give her leftovers but put them in little pieces for her. She never eats much at all so after awhile I throw it away. She enjoys a variety and will eat most anything. Most recently I let her try some summer sausage in really small beardie pieces. She didn't like it much though and ate whatever else I gave her (some bananas I think). I tried halfheartedly to help her this morning but I had to leave and it looked hard to pull out. I was worried it might hurt her. As long as you think it'll be OK to help her ease it out, considering it can't be an organ or anything, I'll go ahead and try it. I'll let you all know what happens.

By the way, thanks for bearing the pics. Thanks also for your fast reply. :)

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Well I'm not vet, I am just asking if you have if there is resistance then I would not. But my honest opinion I would take her to the vet.

Mark W

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks everyone, for the help. I gave her some more warm soaking. Then I helped her get it out, and was able to get most of what was in there out. I did most of the work, she's so tired after trying to do it herself for the last three days or so.

I got a pair of scissors and tested to see if she would flinch or be hurt if I started to cut the poop. She didn't move at all or seem to care. If she ever is in pain she usually hisses or opens her mouth. She didn't do anything. I cut off about half of it and pulled some more out carefully. I wore latex gloves for her safety. There was a little more of that string stuff left and natural bowel movement retracted it back in. She seems tired but a little better now. I gave her some bananas laced with a bit of a powdered laxative to help her pass the rest of it.

Please pray for her still, thank you if you already have. Right now my main concern is that she eats those bananas. As for the vet...I'll try to get to go depending on how she is tomorrow. Maybe the vet can prescribe something for her if she isn't feeling better. Again, as I've said, circumstances make it a little hard to go into town to get extra help. Fortunately I have great faith she'll be better tomorrow. If she eats those bananas I'll give her extra -- and I'll give her more food more often, even if she isn't hungry as she usually is. If possible, I'll give her baths occasionally in the bathtub (though the family doesn't like the sand and poop that is usually left behind, though I clean it all up they just don't like the sight of it) if possible.

And it seems prudent to be frequenting this fora a little more often. I should be a little more educated on beardies so I can take care of Ms. Eliza a little better! ;)

Mark W

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Someone please answer this question though: what on God's green earth was that green stuff on the poop? It mostly washed off after she soaked, but goodness, it was frightful. Maybe its all the greens I give her? It looked like mold for goodness' sake! I hope this never comes back. :eek:

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well im happy to hear that its out for now just keep a close eye on her. Dont be affraid to ask anything we will help as much as possible

Mark W

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well im happy to hear that its out for now just keep a close eye on her. Dont be affraid to ask anything we will help as much as possible
Thanks! My dad says we can take her to the vet tomorrow if she's not feeling good. Here's a picture of her now, all tired but happy and comfy!
FILE0530.JPG

Fresh water, bananas and a comfy bed! :rolleyes:

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
I don't think you should give her laxatives, unless you have consulted with a vet. I would maybe give her bowels a rest for the nite. Not to mention you already had put them in her bath. The green was probably from the greens you feed her because the vegetables ferment in there stomach they will come out sludgy looking at times its possible she may have ingested a piece of hair or thread from her towels . And she is still passing it through her stomach which could be why her poop was somewhat stuck in her vent.

Mark W

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't think you should give her laxatives, unless you have consulted with a vet. I would maybe give her bowels a rest for the nite. Not to mention you already had put them in her bath. The green was probably from the greens you feed her because the vegetables ferment in there stomach they will come out sludgy looking at times its possible she may have ingested a piece of hair or thread from her towels . And she is still passing it through her stomach which could be why her poop was somewhat stuck in her vent.
Alright. I won't be too concerned if she doesn't eat the bananas, since they have the laxative. Tomorrow I'm going to give her a little bit but not much. Just enough to help her but not hurt her if it won't work. We know a lot of home remedies here at our house and are always careful. I know that if I gave her too much, it could be painful for her to have to pass so much all at once. Wouldn't be good -- needs to be gradual recovery IMO.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It looked like plastic, and you really wouldn't give so much bananas. Bananas stop people up so it probably does the same to beardies, I dont know for sure but it's an educated guess. After the vet tomorrow morning get her some dubia roaches or superworms and dust them with multi-vitamin. Pedialyte and some grapes are bith good for hydrating her

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sorry to hear about her troubles. It sounds like you have a dehydrated dragon, at the least. You should get your vet to do a fecal exam too when you go, so if you are able to get any fecal matter between now and then, keep it in a tupperware in the fridge until you go. (gross I know, but necessary as its possible she has parasites) As Elemental said, no more bananas. They are very high in phosphorous, on top of other issues, so not a great food for them exclusively. Stick with greens, and give her a variety, like kale, collards, endive, arugula, dandelion greens, mustard, etc. You can also try to dip whatever is her favourite snack in a bit of mineral oil or olive oil, and feed that to her. Does she drink when she is in the bath? If not, try to get a spray bottle and mist her face while she is in the tub. That should stimulate her to start drinking.

Sounds like it might be time to ditch the sand too.

William_Kaku

Bearded Dragon Egg
My leather back has red sore on his chin like a blister puffy dry then the other part is red any body know what it is

Mark W

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Anyhow, 11 days later and she's doing just fine. She's already gone poop once and she's been getting almost completely cherry tomatoes with celery leaves on top (for greens). I'm trying to give her more of a variety, though. Tomorrow's meal I will give her something new.

I think she still has many years ahead of her! She is, I should note, an old beardie -- going on eight or nine years. It is my hope she lives a very long time -- old grandma beardie!

Thanks again everyone for your help. I'll try to check in a little more often.