• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Considering getting a beardie NEW TO THIS.

lumenessence

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I am new here and I came to educate myself as much as possible before jumping into the commitment of being a beardie mommy. I am terrified and also excited. I don't have one yet but I did have 2 tiny ones when i was younger that I wasn't allowed to keep :( . I was not educated (back then no internet access) on them so I came here and youtube to watch many videos and it is very overwhelming. I prefer a beardie because it seems like the only reptile worth getting for me. I have a small dog who is a sweetheart but I do feel like I need another therapy pet. I was braver when I was younger in holding pets that would bite me but now not so much. It took me years to make this decision because I don't take this lightly. I have always loved beardies and would end up so terrified about a lot that I don't know. Will he bite off my finger or draw blood? costs? what is the best food to feed them? I see so many different opinions so it gets confusing. I am scared of salmonela and any other diseases it can give me. I went to purchase a 75 gallon tank because I don't want to have to buy multiple tanks for it. I hope I can make it happy and keep it as healthy as possible. I have owned many reptiles including iguanas so I have some experience but I prefer to start from zero because I can't make any mistakes and must do good by this creature if I am to get it. Once I educate myself well enough and have his or her tank set up then I will consider going to pick one up from a good breeder hopefully. I want to make it a natural living environment to give it the healthiest life possible. I have the lights and giant 75gallon tank but will be getting a baby. Is there a lot of health issues that they have? I have so many questions. I know I can keep asking google or youtube but I would like any help possible pls.

Beardie03

Bearded Dragon Egg
First off, they cannot bite your finger off. Beardies are usually very docile and will rarely bite, but it could hurt a little bit and possibly draw blood. The up front cost can vary but for me was about $400. Yearly maintenance costs can be about $200 depending on several factors. I personally feed my beardie insects such as crickets, super worms, and dubias. I also offer fresh greens such as collard greens, mustard greens, kale, etc. I add calcium and multivitamins to his food as well. The ratio of insects to greens and the amount of times you feed insects per week depends on the age of your dragon. If you are concerned about salmonella and such, make sure to was your hands after handling him and avoid kissing him. Whatever tank you have, make sure to keep it clean. If you care for your baby properly, there isn't a lot to be concerned about. The most common issue in beardies is probably Metabolic Bone Disease. The best way to prevent this is to provide the correct nuetrients and UVB to your dragon. I hope this helped a little bit. I know that there is so much information about bearded dragon care and it can be overwhelming. For more information, I would recommend checking out a credible breeders website and looking at their care page if they have one. Best of luck!

lumenessence

Bearded Dragon Egg
First off, they cannot bite your finger off. Beardies are usually very docile and will rarely bite, but it could hurt a little bit and possibly draw blood. The up front cost can vary but for me was about $400. Yearly maintenance costs can be about $200 depending on several factors. I personally feed my beardie insects such as crickets, super worms, and dubias. I also offer fresh greens such as collard greens, mustard greens, kale, etc. I add calcium and multivitamins to his food as well. The ratio of insects to greens and the amount of times you feed insects per week depends on the age of your dragon. If you are concerned about salmonella and such, make sure to was your hands after handling him and avoid kissing him. Whatever tank you have, make sure to keep it clean. If you care for your baby properly, there isn't a lot to be concerned about. The most common issue in beardies is probably Metabolic Bone Disease. The best way to prevent this is to provide the correct nuetrients and UVB to your dragon. I hope this helped a little bit. I know that there is so much information about bearded dragon care and it can be overwhelming. For more information, I would recommend checking out a credible breeders website and looking at their care page if they have one. Best of luck!
Thank you very much I appreciate your help. I'm currently watching videos on what not to do and that metabolic disease came up there too and how to avoid it. The tank i just got is used but I don't want to use chemicals I'm not sure how to disinfect it? Will vinegar do the job?

Beardie03

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you very much I appreciate your help. I'm currently watching videos on what not to do and that metabolic disease came up there too and how to avoid it. The tank i just got is used but I don't want to use chemicals I'm not sure how to disinfect it? Will vinegar do the job?
For weekly cleaning I like to use 1:1 parts vinegar and water, but since you are dealing with a used cage, I would recommend a stronger chemical such as bleach or chlorhexidine. Neither chemicals will harm your beardie if they are diluted and rinsed in the correct way, but of course do whatever you are comfortable with.

lumenessence

Bearded Dragon Egg
For weekly cleaning I like to use 1:1 parts vinegar and water, but since you are dealing with a used cage, I would recommend a stronger chemical such as bleach or chlorhexidine. Neither chemicals will harm your beardie if they are diluted and rinsed in the correct way, but of course do whatever you are comfortable wit
They might not hurt my beardie but unfortunately will hurt me. I'm super sensitive to chemicals. Thank you I will stick to the non toxic.

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just relax and take your time, gradually start getting what you need set up. Before purchasing any items/necessities, do as much research on what’s best so you don’t waste lots of money replacing things in the process. And ensure your enclosure is set up and you’re achieving the correct temperatures before bringing your new pet home. However, you will learn the most once you finally have it at home and can really experience caring first hand.

Understand there will be many things that you question from day one; behaviours, routines, changes, potential illnesses, care of specific bugs, feeding schedules etc. If your purchasing a baby you won’t know whether it is a boy or a girl so make sure you’re happy with either. And always have a little savings to one side for things you may need. You may need to change a bulb and not having enough money for a new one even for a few days could effect your beardie.

There’s so much to learn but once you’ve got a routine and you learn all the basics you should be confident enough to handle any other changes or issues along the way. And when you get it right and they’re happy, it’s really such a lovely feeling and they are a joy.

We got our beardie at age 4 months (back in Nov) and I am finally confident with its care. Each day I come on this forum and read through other peoples issues so that if similar things arise I know a little bit about most stuff already. I still watch plenty of YouTube videos each week but now it’s not so overwhelming as I have more confidence and understanding. Everybody is overwhelmed to begin with! Even people who’ve owned lots of reptiles before will come across new concerns they know nothing about.

We’re here for you along the way!

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
An adult beardie is definitely easier and less expensive to maintain than a baby. If you want to go with a baby, you'll need to be extra vigilant with watching for health issues and making sure they have a good diet.
Good feeder insects to use in the staple diet are dubia roaches, discoids, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, and crickets. Superworms, hornworms, butterworms, waxworms, mealworms, etc. can all be offered as treats.

Beardies are one of the most rewarding reptiles to keep. They're fun, hardy, and a decent size and they come in lots of different color morphs. They won't give you a huge electricity bill, maul you, get super aggressive during mating season, or require very complicated heating. They're definitely one of the easier lizards to keep, but in my opinion, don't fit into the category of "beginner" reptiles.

There's a lot of debate on substrate. Tile, paper towel, and non-adhesive shelf liner are all safe for babies, and beardies over six months can have some vareities of soil as long as it doesn't clump or hold too much humidity. You'll find different information on the best substrate depending on where you look, so it's best to do lots of research and make an educated decision instead of going with information from just one source. Some are bad no matter what - calcium sand, crushed walnut, pure sand, cat litter, pellets, wood shavings, etc.

Here are some good videos to check out:

In99flames

Hatchling Dragon
Ill be honest with you. You will read a ton of conflicting opinions. A lot of different options....recommended actions....don't read obsessively into this. You'll confuse yourself. I personally have gone AGAINST most recommendations(not consciously). Your mileage will vary but what I have done has made Shiva live VERY long. She is over 18 now. I got her from the pet shop August 11th, 2002. On April 7th, if she makes it, it will be a world record. I never keep water in her cage. I do not mist her cage. I have calci-sand substrate. I wipe the inside of her cage(mild soap and water) once a YEAR. She has thrived. We have to look at the fact that these are wild animals. In reality they would have NEVER lived in the perfect environment. They wouldn't have their surroundings disinfected , or even clean. They will lick up filthy water, accidentally eat things they shouldnt have(like sand), They wouldnt have plentiful meals all the time, and they wouldnt have optimal temperatures all the time. "Overcare" can be as damaging as "undercare". I feed her once a week. Give her fruit or veggies sometimes, usually fruit. Her main diet is primarily crickets. I dust them with calcium every other time. Blueberries are given to her every other week. I cut them in half and hand feed with tongs. I always have a good UV tube(i change every 6 months). Her light and uv bulb are on regular timers. Her heating pad is on 24/7 in the basking area. She isnt stressed and has her appetite nicely. She is very very old so she sleeps often. She wakes right up for food though. Kind of funny to see her go from "ugh leave me alone...." To "FEED ME" in 2 seconds. Again im not saying ignore all advice. Absolutely not! I am just saying dont read so much you "overcare" your dragon.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ill be honest with you. You will read a ton of conflicting opinions. A lot of different options....recommended actions....don't read obsessively into this. You'll confuse yourself. I personally have gone AGAINST most recommendations(not consciously). Your mileage will vary but what I have done has made Shiva live VERY long. She is over 18 now. I got her from the pet shop August 11th, 2002. On April 7th, if she makes it, it will be a world record. I never keep water in her cage. I do not mist her cage. I have calci-sand substrate. I wipe the inside of her cage(mild soap and water) once a YEAR. She has thrived. We have to look at the fact that these are wild animals. In reality they would have NEVER lived in the perfect environment. They wouldn't have their surroundings disinfected , or even clean. They will lick up filthy water, accidentally eat things they shouldnt have(like sand), They wouldnt have plentiful meals all the time, and they wouldnt have optimal temperatures all the time. "Overcare" can be as damaging as "undercare". I feed her once a week. Give her fruit or veggies sometimes, usually fruit. Her main diet is primarily crickets. I dust them with calcium every other time. Blueberries are given to her every other week. I cut them in half and hand feed with tongs. I always have a good UV tube(i change every 6 months). Her light and uv bulb are on regular timers. Her heating pad is on 24/7 in the basking area. She isnt stressed and has her appetite nicely. She is very very old so she sleeps often. She wakes right up for food though. Kind of funny to see her go from "ugh leave me alone...." To "FEED ME" in 2 seconds. Again im not saying ignore all advice. Absolutely not! I am just saying dont read so much you "overcare" your dragon.
Are you sure she's "thriving"?

lumenessence

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just relax and take your time, gradually start getting what you need set up. Before purchasing any items/necessities, do as much research on what’s best so you don’t waste lots of money replacing things in the process. And ensure your enclosure is set up and you’re achieving the correct temperatures before bringing your new pet home. However, you will learn the most once you finally have it at home and can really experience caring first hand.

Understand there will be many things that you question from day one; behaviours, routines, changes, potential illnesses, care of specific bugs, feeding schedules etc. If your purchasing a baby you won’t know whether it is a boy or a girl so make sure you’re happy with either. And always have a little savings to one side for things you may need. You may need to change a bulb and not having enough money for a new one even for a few days could effect your beardie.

There’s so much to learn but once you’ve got a routine and you learn all the basics you should be confident enough to handle any other changes or issues along the way. And when you get it right and they’re happy, it’s really such a lovely feeling and they are a joy.

We got our beardie at age 4 months (back in Nov) and I am finally confident with its care. Each day I come on this forum and read through other peoples issues so that if similar things arise I know a little bit about most stuff already. I still watch plenty of YouTube videos each week but now it’s not so overwhelming as I have more confidence and understanding. Everybody is overwhelmed to begin with! Even people who’ve owned lots of reptiles before will come across new concerns they know nothing about.

We’re here for you along the way!
Thank you. I promise I am doing research from morning till night. I am learning a lot so far.

lumenessence

Bearded Dragon Egg
An adult beardie is definitely easier and less expensive to maintain than a baby. If you want to go with a baby, you'll need to be extra vigilant with watching for health issues and making sure they have a good diet.
Good feeder insects to use in the staple diet are dubia roaches, discoids, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, and crickets. Superworms, hornworms, butterworms, waxworms, mealworms, etc. can all be offered as treats.

Beardies are one of the most rewarding reptiles to keep. They're fun, hardy, and a decent size and they come in lots of different color morphs. They won't give you a huge electricity bill, maul you, get super aggressive during mating season, or require very complicated heating. They're definitely one of the easier lizards to keep, but in my opinion, don't fit into the category of "beginner" reptiles.

There's a lot of debate on substrate. Tile, paper towel, and non-adhesive shelf liner are all safe for babies, and beardies over six months can have some vareities of soil as long as it doesn't clump or hold too much humidity. You'll find different information on the best substrate depending on where you look, so it's best to do lots of research and make an educated decision instead of going with information from just one source. Some are bad no matter what - calcium sand, crushed walnut, pure sand, cat litter, pellets, wood shavings, etc.

Here are some good videos to check out:

Thank you for all the links. As for the substrate I will be doing a natural bioactive enclosure. I prefer a baby so we can build a good bond.

lumenessence

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank You I appreciate your help as well.