• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Considering adopting...

lynchseana

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! My name is Seana. I’ve been considering adopting a bearded dragon. I currently have a 1 year old veiled chameleon named Iroh so I am not unfamiliar with reptiles. I was hoping to get some basic husbandry information before purchasing anything. Pictures of my sweet chameleon belowwwww.

Attachments

• 32AAFDE0-E9B7-49E5-8BF8-0C77C20120DA.jpeg
    32AAFDE0-E9B7-49E5-8BF8-0C77C20120DA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • D8E7C7A7-7ACD-4A23-8338-C6EBD4EDD046.jpeg
    D8E7C7A7-7ACD-4A23-8338-C6EBD4EDD046.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! My name is Seana. I’ve been considering adopting a bearded dragon. I currently have a 1 year old veiled chameleon named Iroh so I am not unfamiliar with reptiles. I was hoping to get some basic husbandry information before purchasing anything. Pictures of my sweet chameleon belowwwww.
Please read this and if you have more questions please ask

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hello seana, its funny you post this as im thinking about getting a cham myself :) , husbandry for brarded dragons can be very confusing cause there’s lots of misinformation out there, tank wise 40gallons is the minimum (but only get a 40gal if you’re gonna offer outside time,otherwise 60 really is the smallest you should go) make shure the tank is front opening (itll help with temperment of the lizard and with tank management) make shure there isnt a fine mesh screen top(itll block up to 30% of ur uvb) i dont claim to know anything about their uvb and lighting so I’ll leave that to someone else (everyone has their own lights they fancy i just buy what everyone on here recommends(but! Do stay away from “coil uvb” these are BAD make shure there’s places ur beardie can hide from the light atleast 2 hides, ur basking temps should be 95-105 for babies 85-100 for adults , ur cool side of the tank should range about 70-80 , diet is only secondarily important to lighting (if his lights arnt right then they cant digest their food properly) crickets will probably be best if ur getting a baby bd , roachs are one of the best things u can feed a BD along with B.S.F.L , super worms should only be given every now and again and meal worms should only be given to juveniles and up (babies have a hard time digesting chitinous bugs) make shure these are dusted with calcium(with d3) and offer other vitamins 3 times a week , you Dont want to dust everything , salads are going to need be made aswell, leafy greens are their favorites , stay away from broccolis, spinach, they are whats called calcium binders (and they basically make it so ur bd cant process the calcium in their food) iceberg lettuce is only good for its water content it has no nutrition, romaine lettuce is okay,.... try to stick with kales and mustard greens if u can, try bee pollen, low suger Apple juice on the salad if ur BD wont eat it, these are all kinda basic things that i know, if u have any questions please do ask there are no dumb or silly questions :) , may i see irohs cage? And may i ask what state u live in cause he’s vented all day long right? (My curiosity of ur cham has peaked lol)

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello seana, its funny you post this as im thinking about getting a cham myself :) , husbandry for brarded dragons can be very confusing cause there’s lots of misinformation out there, tank wise 40gallons is the minimum (but only get a 40gal if you’re gonna offer outside time,otherwise 60 really is the smallest you should go) make shure the tank is front opening (itll help with temperment of the lizard and with tank management) make shure there isnt a fine mesh screen top(itll block up to 30% of ur uvb) i dont claim to know anything about their uvb and lighting so I’ll leave that to someone else (everyone has their own lights they fancy i just buy what everyone on here recommends(but! Do stay away from “coil uvb” these are BAD make shure there’s places ur beardie can hide from the light atleast 2 hides, ur basking temps should be 95-105 for babies 85-100 for adults , ur cool side of the tank should range about 70-80 , diet is only secondarily important to lighting (if his lights arnt right then they cant digest their food properly) crickets will probably be best if ur getting a baby bd , roachs are one of the best things u can feed a BD along with B.S.F.L , super worms should only be given every now and again and meal worms should only be given to juveniles and up (babies have a hard time digesting chitinous bugs) make shure these are dusted with calcium(with d3) and offer other vitamins 3 times a week , you Dont want to dust everything , salads are going to need be made aswell, leafy greens are their favorites , stay away from broccolis, spinach, they are whats called calcium binders (and they basically make it so ur bd cant process the calcium in their food) iceberg lettuce is only good for its water content it has no nutrition, romaine lettuce is okay,.... try to stick with kales and mustard greens if u can, try bee pollen, low suger Apple juice on the salad if ur BD wont eat it, these are all kinda basic things that i know, if u have any questions please do ask there are no dumb or silly questions :) , may i see irohs cage? And may i ask what state u live in cause he’s vented all day long right? (My curiosity of ur cham has peaked lol)
No just no. Do not use a 40 gallon tank this is way outdated and very bad for a full grown bearded dragons. Use at least a 75 gallon but better a 120 gallon. If you go on good websites and good YouTube’s then you will find this info