• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerned new dragon mom

Bacher4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Brand new dragon mom, a friend of ours gave us her 4 month tangerine leatherback to my husband! She gave us mealworms and some crickets! We went to the pet store and bought calcium powder. I grow a lot of veggies in my garden so he gets fresh romaine lettuce, spinach, green beans and peas. Should we be feeding him only crickets and mealworms? We also live 45 miles from a pet store is there somewhere online that we can order live food for him? We want nothing but the best for our animal babies! And last but not least I’m kinda concerned about tangos tail...... we’ve had him for about 3 weeks now, last week he shed but his tail is still white. I gave him a bath on Monday and then another one this evening. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
You need to stop feeding romaine, it's basically water. Spinach is also bad because it binds calcium. Switch to mustard/collard greens or similar. Mealworms have a lot of chitlin, so they can be dangerous to feed because they may cause impaction. You can order food online from good brands, like Fluker's or Josh's Frogs. Make sure you are gut loading the bugs.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, I agree with the above. I would suggest breeding your own dubia roach colony as you don't have to constantly be buying crickets, it's a lot cheaper and they're very good for bearded dragons. Mealworms you should only have as a treat as they can cause impaction. Just make sure that he's getting enough food because they need fed at least twice a day! Could you post a picture of his tail?

Bacher4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I agree with the above. I would suggest breeding your own dubia roach colony as you don't have to constantly be buying crickets, it's a lot cheaper and they're very good for bearded dragons. Mealworms you should only have as a treat as they can cause impaction. Just make sure that he's getting enough food because they need fed at least twice a day! Could you post a picture of his tail?
05BDBEA7-FEEB-4952-AA60-A33DE9084AF6.jpeg

Bacher4

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need to stop feeding romaine, it's basically water. Spinach is also bad because it binds calcium. Switch to mustard/collard greens or similar. Mealworms have a lot of chitlin, so they can be dangerous to feed because they may cause impaction. You can order food online from good brands, like Fluker's or Josh's Frogs. Make sure you are gut loading the bugs.
Thank you for the information it’s greatly appreciated. I will go to the store today and buy some different greens for him! And look into the above brands! Thank you again

Bacher4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow he is a very pretty dragon! There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his tail, it just seems like stuck shed to me. Just make sure that you get it off so that it does not cause tail rot.
I agree he’s beautiful and thank you! I give him a bath every other day his tail doesn’t seem to change! Is there anything I can do to help him shed his tail? Thank you again