• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Companion?

Iwantabeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, I bought a young bearded dragon from Petco a month ago. They said he was 7-9 months but I knew better because he weighed 38g so he is probably 2-3 months. Anyway, Petco just restocked and they now have beardies that look to be around 6 weeks old (or younger) they are extremely tiny. I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me to get my dragon a companion so he isn't bored. I have a 40BR tank. Would they get into fights? Is it generally a bad idea? Thanks.

Crabs Mcjones

Juvenile Dragon
Bearded Dragons are better housed individually. When they're young (such as in the petstore) they can store them together because they're not sexually mature or territorial yet. However occassionally you'll see beardies with missing toes or tail ends because of them fighting.
So short answer, best to house them alone.

Deb13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Bearded Dragons are better housed individually. When they're young (such as in the petstore) they can store them together because they're not sexually mature or territorial yet. However occassionally you'll see beardies with missing toes or tail ends because of them fighting.
So short answer, best to house them alone.
Well so far I have 2 together and their doing ok.

Crabs Mcjones

Juvenile Dragon
2 or 3 months old....been together 4days
Yeah, they're still little. When they get bigger, and reach sexual maturity and start getting territorial, you may start to experience problems. As I stated above, that is how pet stores are able to get by with having multiples in an enclosure. They're only there for a short while and they're still babies.

Thomas J sobczynski

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, I bought a young bearded dragon from Petco a month ago. They said he was 7-9 months but I knew better because he weighed 38g so he is probably 2-3 months. Anyway, Petco just restocked and they now have beardies that look to be around 6 weeks old (or younger) they are extremely tiny. I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me to get my dragon a companion so he isn't bored. I have a 40BR tank. Would they get into fights? Is it generally a bad idea? Thanks.
I would never get a reptile from Petco or any other chain store. They don't take care of them very well and most of the employees don't know much about them. I would use a breeder or a Mom and pop reptile store.

Iwantabeardie

Hatchling Dragon
I would too just due to covid I didn't want to go anywhere that wasn't local and a didn't want to get it shipped to me because it is very expensive.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Super Duper Bad!! Never house 2dragons in the same tank ever. One will dominate/overpower ans eventually attack and of its a boy and girl u fish babies and that’s a nitemare and a whole set of training. One will not eat and get sick/stressed. Beardies never get bored unless u have too small of a cage and wrong Lites and temps!!! Reptisin long tubular bulb 10.0 T5 should be on the back and cover 2/3 of the tank. Basking light ZooMed basking bulb. Never ever use the coil, the red or the black bulb!!! It burns there eyed and destroys their vision. Google google google. Humidity 30-40 Nevwr Ever higher if so open windows. Temps for a baby or juvenile 105-110 and for adults 95-100 can be higher too for an adult if he likes it but 100 is perfect for an adult. NO lights of any sort at nite except a ceramic heater light which emits heat but no light u can use that if the temp in tank falls below 70. At night they like it pure dark so close all blinds ans get a log hideaway so he can sleep under it they sleep strait NOT curled up. Also baths in filtered/chlorine free water that’s drinking water too has to be chlorine free. Baths in warm water for 15min it more. Fill the water up to the top of his hinge legs and way below his neck. Never wver get water in his ears or u risk a Upper respiratory infection and he will need a vet rite away. Dust the crickets in calcium with D3 and use herptivite vitamins twice a week sprinkle some on his veggies. He will have lots of energy if u have the right lighting and a big cage. He should be in a 40 gallon tank nothign smaller. Also let him bask outside too and exercise a bit u can take him in the yard and sit out there with him. But be right there a hawk or crow will snatch him and he can run off. Also u can let him roam around the house for 30min or so; they need to exercise too. Hope this helps; but definitely NO 2 Beardies in the Same tank and introducing 2 togheter I’m separate tanks is a nitemare & a lot of wrk to train and they will have black beards and be stressed and sick!! Make the changes I told you and your Beardie will be soo much more happier!!!