• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cohab bearded dragon and sulcata tortoise?

Sebastian Gralian

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have read many controversial things about cohab and I'm kinda in a mix here. I'm a new bearded dragon owner(his name is Biscuit) and my mom wants a sulcata tortoise. I was wondering if they could share the same tank. If so, is there anything I would need to change in the tank to make it compatible for both of? I also know that the tortoise is going to grow up and out of the tank. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sebastian Gralian

Bearded Dragon Egg
The answer to that is NO -- you have a desert animal and a aquatic animal--- the humidity would give the dragon a RI and too many diseases that are water born --- they are to entirely different habitats
kaylyn
A sulcata tortoise(African spurred tortoise) is a land reptile, so water born diseases are not the problem. They are both desert animals so it is quite possible. I want to be budget friendly so buying another tank isn't really what I would go for. The only thing I would be worried about is the behavior of the two reptiles together. Would it be bad or good? Thanks for any advice!

JCLee

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sulcatas get quite large and live for quite a long time. If you are already worried about space and expense, this might not be the right animal for you.

And I agree with above advice; cohabbing them in a tank is not a good idea.

ricks45

Bearded Dragon Egg
The answer to that is NO -- you have a desert animal and a aquatic animal--- the humidity would give the dragon a RI and too many diseases that are water born --- they are to entirely different habitats
kaylyn
Sulcata tortoises are NOT aquatic. They come from the southern edge of the sahara sesert.

ricks45

Bearded Dragon Egg
A sulcata tortoise(African spurred tortoise) is a land reptile, so water born diseases are not the problem. They are both desert animals so it is quite possible. I want to be budget friendly so buying another tank isn't really what I would go for. The only thing I would be worried about is the behavior of the two reptiles together. Would it be bad or good? Thanks for any advice!
While they are both desert animals the bearded dragon needs 30 to 40% humidity and the Sulcata needs 89 to 90% humidity till they are at least a year old for proper shell development. So NO they cannot be raised in the same tank.