• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Closed eyes! Help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I cant afford a UVB :(
But ill definitely get a different MVB. And his tank is one of those wooded tortoise cages. Be he seems to really like it. Its about 40G. A little bigger I think.
Ok so the mvb will be ok for now by its self but you are gonna haft to invest in one soon-- uvb and basking temps are crucial.to the dragons health - so get a power sun 100 watt or a mega ray 100 watt- distance should be 12" above basking decor w/ out screen if it's on the screen 8-10 inches w/ your basking decor directly under it--- make sure your getting a temp w/ your probe / cross reference w/ your IR gun-- temps 105-110

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so the mvb will be ok for now by its self but you are gonna haft to invest in one soon-- uvb and basking temps are crucial.to the dragons health - so get a power sun 100 watt or a mega ray 100 watt- distance should be 12" above basking decor w/ out screen if it's on the screen 8-10 inches w/ your basking decor directly under it--- make sure your getting a temp w/ your probe / cross reference w/ your IR gun
Ok. Ill try that. Thank you

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It is very important to make sure UVB/UVA is correct but just to add, he will probably not take much interest in the salads just yet, but keep offering them daily regardless. Even if you just offer a small amount and refresh them a little later in the day when what’s there dries out. Offering Black Soldier Fly Larvae (BSFL) on top of the salads could encourage him to eat it and adds variety from the crickets. When they are shedding they can also become a little anti social, less active and slightly off their food. But as Sadie said, most important thing to rule out is that UVA/UVB and the placement is correct. Could you post an image of your set up?

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
He has them open right when inget to the cage and right when I pick him up. But then closes them again. His eyes don't look sunken in to me, but here's a picture. He's just begun shed and I also handle him every day, since the day I got him. So maybe he's just stressed/tired?
So your lighting may or may not be adequate in terms of UVB. I looked it up and the bulb does claim to be good enough for bearded dragons. Just because nobody's heard of it doesn't mean that it's bad, but it doesn't mean that it's good either. You're kinda experimenting here. I also use one of the cheap weirder brands ($17 Vivosun 125W) because some of the reviews say that they've used a radiation meter and verified that it does output a level of UVB that is comparable to that of a $50 MegaRay so I decided to try it. So far, nothing seems wrong.

That said, if your temps are correct, and they are, then it would typically take way more than 4 days for a bearded dragon to start languishing away from UVB deficiency. (There are videos of rescue dragons that haven't gotten UVB for months without obvious disease.) Therefore, from what I surmise, the symptoms you are seeing are unlikely to be UVB-related.

I see the picture you posted and he doesn't look very alert; if you just grabbed him, he shouldn't be like that but if you've been holding him for a while, he may relax and close his eyes. You still haven't described his general disposition. That he's feeding is very good but is he strong and moving normally when you interact with him or does he basically seem totally out of it an weak/flaccid?

If the latter, some causes may be respiratory infection (did you bath him and could he have inhaled some water?), parasite infestation (could have come with it but relocation stress weakened him), or impaction (did you feed him something big or hard like a beetle?).

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
So your lighting may or may not be adequate in terms of UVB. I looked it up and the bulb does claim to be good enough for bearded dragons. Just because nobody's heard of it doesn't mean that it's bad, but it doesn't mean that it's good either. You're kinda experimenting here. I also use one of the cheap weirder brands ($17 Vivosun 125W) because some of the reviews say that they've used a radiation meter and verified that it does output a level of UVB that is comparable to that of a $50 MegaRay so I decided to try it. So far, nothing seems wrong.

That said, if your temps are correct, and they are, then it would typically take way more than 4 days for a bearded dragon to start languishing away from UVB deficiency. (There are videos of rescue dragons that haven't gotten UVB for months without obvious disease.) Therefore, from what I surmise, the symptoms you are seeing are unlikely to be UVB-related.

I see the picture you posted and he doesn't look very alert; if you just grabbed him, he shouldn't be like that but if you've been holding him for a while, he may relax and close his eyes. You still haven't described his general disposition. That he's feeding is very good but is he strong and moving normally when you interact with him or does he basically seem totally out of it an weak/flaccid?
He does react at first when I pick him up. And he will run around and stuff and climb on the mound of my blanket on my bed to get higher. He eats normally, just been particularly picky about his veggies lately (im assuming because he's shedding). He also does open his eyes more when he's out of the light and seems more comfortable about it. If I touch his back when he's under the light he squints at me and stretches away from me. Like he wants the heat but the light just hurts his eyes too much to fully open them. He was fine the first three days, never did sit directly under the light tho. And its not too hot.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
He does react at first when I pick him up. And he will run around and stuff and climb on the mound of my blanket on my bed to get higher. He eats normally, just been particularly picky about his veggies lately (im assuming because he's shedding). He also does open his eyes more when he's out of the light and seems more comfortable about it. If I touch his back when he's under the light he squints at me and stretches away from me. Like he wants the heat but the light just hurts his eyes too much to fully open them. He was fine the first three days, never did sit directly under the light tho. And its not too hot.
So it's basically just his eyes not being open often enough? LOL I dunno, could just be relocation stress. Or maybe the light you bought has the same issues as Solar Glo which is known to be too harsh on the eyes... I can't say.

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
So it's basically just his eyes not being open often enough? LOL I dunno, could just be relocation stress. Or maybe the light you bought has the same issues as Solar Glo which is known to be too harsh on the eyes... I can't say.
I bought a T8 and a regular basking bulb because I know that'll be fine for him. So he should be ok now. Ive let his eyes rest for about 30 minutes and just kept a CHE on his basking spot (which he's stayed under). Not sure if that'll mess up his sleeping schedule or not. I turned my bedroom light on so it would stay as light as possible. And im putting the other lighting up now. Will the T8 be ok at 11.5 inches above him on top of the screen, or should I hook it underneath somehow?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I bought a T8 and a regular basking bulb because I know that'll be fine for him. So he should be ok now. Ive let his eyes rest for about 30 minutes and just kept a CHE on his basking spot (which he's stayed under). Not sure if that'll mess up his sleeping schedule or not. I turned my bedroom light on so it would stay as light as possible. And im putting the other lighting up now. Will the T8 be ok at 11.5 inches above him on top of the screen, or should I hook it underneath somehow?
T 8's need to be inside the tank w/ NO screen and NO clear plastic cover over the bulb 6-8 inches distance directly above the basking decor -- the CHE will not disturb his sleep unless it gets too warm - you do not want over nite temps above 75 or below 65-- they need cool and dark so their system can metabolize -- you still need to use the basking bulb for correct temps --

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
T 8's need to be inside the tank w/ NO screen and NO clear plastic cover over the bulb 6-8 inches distance directly above the basking decor -- the CHE will not disturb his sleep unless it gets too warm - you do not want over nite temps above 75 or below 65-- they need cool and dark so their system can metabolize -- you still need to use the basking bulb for correct temps --
Yeah, I just turned the CHE on while I went to get the new stuff so his eyes could rest for a bit. Ill take the plastic cover off the t8 rn

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, I just turned the CHE on while I went to get the new stuff so his eyes could rest for a bit. Ill take the plastic cover off the t8 rn
So our BD has closed one eye before and at first I had no idea why - we’ve had tank setup and same lights for awhile so no issue there - and I attributed it to shedding even though her face isn’t actively shedding right now. She’s been shedding different parts of her body though and around her mouth it looks lighter so I’m just watching and waiting. One eye is open and the other is closed A good bit of the time. There’s no infection discoloration etc though. Also wanted to jump in and say we’ve used the MVB bulb you referenced (

Just jumping in with a few comments - ours has had one eye closed off and on for a couple of weeks and I think it’s due to shedding. No apparent swelling/discharge/etc is visible and it seems to come and go so are watching it for now. She has shed random parts recently as well and around her mouth looks lighter so that seems to fit unless something changes. Also we’ve used that Aiicioo 100W bulb at least twice and haven’t had any issues that we know of. Lastly in lieu of attaching bulbs inside tank you could cut holes in screen (if that’s what kind of top you have). It’s not ideal but IMO it was a compromise we felt was okay and so far again no issues. Just make sure the bulb lines up so it’s actually shining through the hole, and obviously make sure your BD can’t escape through them LOL.

mtalbot9

Bearded Dragon Egg
I cant afford a UVB :(
But ill definitely get a different MVB. And his tank is one of those wooded tortoise cages. Be he seems to really like it. Its about 40G. A little bigger I think.
In my experience UVB bulbs are just as/even cheaper than MVB. Buying the fixture does cost a bit, but if you can save for a month or two it's doable. MVBs are a pain - they have to be placed exactly correctly to work, let alone work well. And as Sadie said you still likely need additional UVB anyway. A proper UVB will actually save you in the long run - time and vet bills.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My beardie is about 3 months old, I've had him for 4 days now. His temperatures and lights are correct. But he won't open his eyes since this morning when I turned his lights on. Only for a split second to grab a cricket when I feed it to him. He won't eat veggies (I tried that before the crickets) and he's been sleeping during that day a little bit. He's also just at the beginning of shed. Is this just something they do at the beginning of shed? Please help. Im really worried about him. Btw he doesn't have anything in his eyes and they're clear.
Hi;? Do u have sand substrate? If so remove it ASAP; it’s not recommended they get sand in their eyes and also ingest it; if that’s the case that u have sand; he need a vet ASAP for antibiotics. I use white terry cloth towels that way u clean the poop asap and it’s easy to keep cage clean. But it’s sounds Like u mite be using a colored or coiled bulb? If so remove them ASAP it burns their eyes. Never ever use them during the day or night. Use a zoomed Clear basking bulb for Heat & the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB; this uvb light needs replacing every 6Mnths & the length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank. U can order it from Amazon, wallmart or Carolina custom cages. in the winter u leave both the UVB/heat on for 10-12 hours & in the summer 12-14 hours. Temps for a baby should be 100-105-110. As he gets older like 9mnths plus they like 95-100 only never more than that. Get a digital thermometer amd digital hygrometer also.
At night when they sleep: NO colored bulbs or lights ever; they like pure dark & quiet. U can buy a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter which emits heat but no light and use it and nite; for babies/juveniles their temp should be around 75-80 when sleeping. In the summer no need for it. As adults the sleeping temp should not drop below 68. When shedding give him more baths it helps with itching & helps the shed come off faster; 15min in lukewarm water with reptisafe drops if u don’t have a filter system at your home. Baths u should do twice a week always but more when shedding. Also never feed a beardie until after he’s been basking for a few hours they need to be room temp/warm and last feeding u need lights on for 2hours that’s how long it takes to digest food. Leave a plate of mixed greens/veggies everyday for him they should always have that to munch on thruout the day u can replace midday of wilted; the best everyday ones are: mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash, butternut squash, green beans, endives & snap peas. 2-3 of each cut up small and mixed everyday. Otherwise when he gets older he won’t eat them. Feed Proteins 4-5 times a day like 20-30 crickets at a time; they can eat and need it; at his age he lots of crickets & Dubias for his bones/to grow. U feed till they stop eating at the same times everyday or at least try too amd when hes 5mnths or so u can feed 3times a day the proteins and when he turns 9mnths u feed 2times per day and as an adult u can do once per day but always the plate of veggies/greens and dust the feeders wi/calcium powder called REPCAL; once owe day 3-4 times a week and on a on calcium day u do herptivite once/week per day. Make a teeny knife slit on the powder container place then crickets or Dubias in a ziplock; sprinkle liek salt on fires till they are lightly dusted and let him eat; this also slows the crickets down. U can even feed him/train him to eat out of the ziplock. When he’s better feed him out of your hand everyday introduce new things the jsit I gave u plus fruits as treats 2timea woe week; blueberries, mangoes & papaya are the best donit with veggies/greens too. Regardless place a plate everyday. Hope this helps

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So our BD has closed one eye before and at first I had no idea why - we’ve had tank setup and same lights for awhile so no issue there - and I attributed it to shedding even though her face isn’t actively shedding right now. She’s been shedding different parts of her body though and around her mouth it looks lighter so I’m just watching and waiting. One eye is open and the other is closed A good bit of the time. There’s no infection discoloration etc though. Also wanted to jump in and say we’ve used the MVB bulb you referenced (

Just jumping in with a few comments - ours has had one eye closed off and on for a couple of weeks and I think it’s due to shedding. No apparent swelling/discharge/etc is visible and it seems to come and go so are watching it for now. She has shed random parts recently as well and around her mouth looks lighter so that seems to fit unless something changes. Also we’ve used that Aiicioo 100W bulb at least twice and haven’t had any issues that we know of. Lastly in lieu of attaching bulbs inside tank you could cut holes in screen (if that’s what kind of top you have). It’s not ideal but IMO it was a compromise we felt was okay and so far again no issues. Just make sure the bulb lines up so it’s actually shining through the hole, and obviously make sure your BD can’t escape through them LOL.
It’s also if you use colored or coiled bulbs; it burns their eyes; u should never ever use them only a clear basking bulb for Heat and a long tubular bulb for uvb the Reptisun 10.0 T5 to cover 70 percent of the tank plus u need a hideaway liek a hammock with a soft clothe over it so he can hide underneath when he wants

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It’s also if you use colored or coiled bulbs; it burns their eyes; u should never ever use them only a clear basking bulb for Heat and a long tubular bulb for uvb the Reptisun 10.0 T5 to cover 70 percent of the tank plus u need a hideaway liek a hammock with a soft clothe over it so he can hide underneath when he wants
Yes - we have no colored bulbs and use the repticarpet so no issues there. We have the long tube light in addition to the MVB - although in the past we’ve used regular bulbs for heat as well, and she has 2 hammocks and 2 caves. The eye issue is better so still don’t know what it was?