• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I custom something for an adult?

BeardedDragonPauper

Hatchling Dragon
So I was looking on craigslist for a beardie to adopt and I found several but noticed one in particular. I am trying to get it but its not in stone yet. So its a full grown beardie in a 20 gallon tank!! The person said that he was so chill they just didnt want to move him yet... To a bigger tank.. So if I get him I want him to be in something bigger of course so can I custom the 20 gallon with like and "addition" on it made of wood and screen and tile or something??
Ideas?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
I would think it would be easier to just build a new one, rather than trying to expand a 20 gallon. We built our melamine enclosure (48 x 20 x 24) for around $150. (Not counting the light bulbs, which we already had.) Poor little guy. My girl had outgrown her 20 gallon by the time she was 3-4 months old.

BeardedDragonPauper

Hatchling Dragon
I was shocked to find out he was still in a 20 gallon tank!! That person hasn't replied anymore tho so I am wondering why....?!?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
MBD is the result of severe and prolonged calcium deficiency, which I'm certain is the main issue in this case. An impaction can also paralyze the back legs, so that's also something to consider in a beardie with troubles. I am certainly not an expert, and I'm way out of my league for this case, but until the pros are online, and until someone can get to a good vet, I do what I can to help. But I'm not an experienced owner. All of my knowledge is based on years and years of research before I got my beardie, not based on personal experience and issues with one.

BeardedDragonPauper

Hatchling Dragon
The person said they are started using calcium recently to try to help and they think its working- I know calcium pwd is a must have in every day diet tho so definitely a serious deficiency there.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Sometimes parts of it are definitely reversible. If the beardie is young enough, even deformed bones can straighten a bit as they grow. But I've also seen many beardies who end up living life with partial paralysis, twisted feet and spines, etc. Every case is different. But they often can still live a full, happy life if it hasn't gone too far and the deficiency is corrected with proper lighting, heat, supplements, and diet. This beardie is still eating, so that's great!

Dragonomine

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would think it would be easier to just build a new one, rather than trying to expand a 20 gallon. We built our melamine enclosure (48 x 20 x 24) for around $150. (Not counting the light bulbs, which we already had.) Poor little guy. My girl had outgrown her 20 gallon by the time she was 3-4 months old.
Janelle, would you happen to have a pic of your enclosure? Maybe how-to tips? I also want to custom build one

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
37184092-CDC8-4371-B374-77E909CD9E90.jpeg 64CC9264-4095-439B-8F11-B0A47AF908CE.jpeg B50CC2F2-4D32-4AFD-94AE-B26A39CA1434.jpeg Sorry, I haven’t been on the forum in quite a while! We built our enclosure from melamine, using stone tile floor and bricks for the stairs. We watched a bunch of YouTube videos for ideas on how other people did theirs and just kind of combined our favorite things and made up others that worked for us. The railing on the platform ended up a bad idea for our adult male, as he just launches himself over it. I need to remove it.