• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Butternut squash

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So I have read that butternut squash is really good for beardies. I went an bought one. Ummmm ... how do you feed it to them? Do I cook it? I am guessing yes unless there is a secret way to cut them up that I don't know about. But unless I pull out the electric knife I don't think I can make a dent in that stuff, LOL. HELP!!!!!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I dont use the skin I just peel it with a sharp kitchen knife. I cut it into rings about inch to two inches wide it makes its easier to peel.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ya just watch the fingers itll bite ya. we try to feed it everyother day they love it. our adault dragons we cut it up in small cubes.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ya just watch the fingers itll bite ya. we try to feed it everyother day they love it. our adault dragons we cut it up in small cubes.
It adults & juvies we got and they seem to like it, the youngest one he not too sure, maybe he be better with the grated stuff than cubes, one of our girls will climb over the rest & sit on the other girls heads to get to it or sweet potato lol

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya same here i dont think i have one dragon that will turn it down. They go nuts over it.

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I slice a piece off, then I take a knife to it, chopping it up fine to coarse. Gobi is nearing a year old, so he isn't requiring the really finely chopped foods. I use skin and all.

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i bought it for the 1st time last week - was a bit like a pumpkin - didnt realise you had to skin it 1st so just cut it up into small peices and he loved it - problem is it made his poop orange and it erm ponged lol! didnt think to put it in the grater lol! spent ages with a very sharp knife :)

*snort*... So, how long was the affair with the knife, exactly?

Also, what is "ponged"... and I first read it as "bonged" and my eyes went all buggy. lol. (dang Brits and your wacky words!) :p

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Now, I DO use "jiffy" once in a while. I love reading/learning/trying to figure out the UK slang. It's fun. Took a while to get the words "kip" and "chuffed". I thought it meant drunk and rashed. lol

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I ended up cutting it with a knife this morning and just cutting the peel off. However she hasn't touched it. She wont eat orange bell pepers either. But I will keep tossing some in there and see if she takes to it. I might as well i have an entire squash. :)

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ummm is this what you guys call a butternut squash?

we have this a couple of times a week. We roast it with potato, carrots zuccinni, onion .
we chop it and make pumpkin soup ( 4 year old loves it), boil it and mash it like mashed potatoe. You guys do the same?

Attachments

• butternut-pumpkin.jpg
    butternut-pumpkin.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 13

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Nothing just had to get back at ya since your child was laughing at me.