• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building Mt. Mungi ;)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@beardie123...Awesome indeed and just remember the old saying.."Rome wasn't built in a day";) There are no awards for finishing your build fast so it takes as long as it takes to complete and I am sure that whenever you do get your build done that it will be simply fantastic and that your dragon will love it!

Your school work is most definitely priority as it should be always and indeed is where your main focus should be.There are definitely rewards to not only finishing your schooling but also doing the best you possibly can and keeping those grades up!
Enjoy your evening and I.look.forward to seeing your.build updates whenever they may come;)

"That's just my opinion..I could be wrong...I was ONCE." Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller ;)

Beardie123

Juvenile Dragon
i hate expandable foam -.- i put it on my styra foam and i guess i put too much but it split the whole back of my project in half lol i have to start all over :/

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@beardie123...lol..yep the expandable foam is a bit tricky to work with for sure...best to apply it and let is sit in the sun a few days or.under a heat lamp because it will continue to expand until it is completely cured.
Sorry to hear that your structure was messed up but the positive thing is that when you do it this time you will do it even better cause you have a better understanding of the materials and what to expect;)
Keep me posted and good luck!

"That's just my opinion..I could be wrong...I was ONCE." Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller ;)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@Chris..lol..that it will indeed;) I let it cure for.awhile under the sun if possible way past the time it says necessary on the can..then I carve the excess away and let it cure some.more...lol..have had more than a few projects burst open in the past. Most times even if it does crack open you can let it continue its expansion and then patch or fill it the crevices with more grout...I rarely just scrap a project...prefer to let it morph so to speak into something even better;)

BoomBoom

Hatchling Dragon
I would love to :) Im *cough hubby* gonna be building my hogg island girl's viv from scratch when shes an adult. Right now shes only about 3 foot so a long way off yet :) Building something for boomer would be fun too :)

hsaslow

Bearded Dragon Egg
Buddha;
I was planning on doing something similar in the enclosure I plan to build except that I intended to make it a permanent part of the enclosure. The sides and back of the enclosure would have a foam substrate with foam rock applied and then coated with grout. Additional "rock features" would be constructed around the perimeter to add changes in elevation and character to the enclosure. Is this something you would recommend? My biggest concern is how to clean it properly. Any thoughts are appreciated. H.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have seen it done both ways as permanent installations and as removable pieces. The thing you will need to remember is that making it permanent will not only make it harder to clean thoroughly but also more difficult to make repairs as needed and will require you to have a seperate enclosure on hand to use when resealing is necessary which needs to be done on these structures periodically. The choice is really up to you though. :)

Be sure to check out the site that I listed at Lizard-Landscapes.com

There are great video how-tos on that site about doing these and All credit goes to them for the process I demonstrated in this thread:)

Whichever way you decide to build yours be sure to take lots of pics of your build so that others can watch your creation take form. You never know, you might inspire someone else to create their own which is always a very good thing indeed!
Enjoy!!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can you add calci-sand to your sealant to provide more grip on the surface? (sprinkle while it's wet)
Ordinary fine natural sand would be the much better option if that is your intention. Calci-Sand has no business in any BD's enclosure ;) .

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Like so much sold in Pet Stores, crushed walnut shell, excavator clay for a couple other examples & other loose Substrates that are labeled BD safe, when they are Not. Calci-Sand clumps when moistened as it would be in the digestion process, then as the moisture dissipates, it hardens like cement. Calci-sand is a very HIGH impaction risk if & when ingested.

Here is an X-Ray of a Calci-Sand impacted BD, more like a Rock with a head & legs than a healthy animal.
impaction01.jpg

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
OK, so can you give me a list of safe substrates I can use? I wouldn't want that $^*% in my stomach either so I won't put Calci-Sand in at all. Thanks for the heads up but still need a list of safe substrates.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If a particle substrate is really your desire, the only particle substrate that I would recommend to use is strained Children's Washed Play Sand (I have been using it in all my enclosures housing BDs 10+", for well over a Decade.) that can be found at most garden or hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes for like $4-$6 per 50 lb bag.

There are many, many non-particle alternatives, such as slate, textured ceramic tile, non-adhesive shelf liner, textured lino, textured Vinyl deck flooring, paper towel, newspaper, butchers paper, and the list goes on.

Good Luck