• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building enclosure

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He's 2 years old. The first thing he did was climb on the small building on the left hand side. Basking light is 12" from the rock, 16" from the floor, 150w and before I placed him in there, temp on the rock read 105F. A 120 gallon tank measures at about 48" x 24" x 24". My custom enclosure measures 55" x 32" x 16" And the hammock just came in today. Here's an updated picture I just took.
Looks good however an adult Beardie the temp should only be 95-100; more like 97 or so. So def maybe get a 100watt zoomed clear heat lamp or a lower basking platform. The branched teee is that his basking platform? Hes too old/big to have a tree like that; that’s nore for babies & those under a year old; he needs a flat platform, or pyramid type so he’s comfy and the hammock behind it is good. Google basking platforms or hit Petsmart. U can always return anything back. Other than that looks great.

Pedroluna0

Hatchling Dragon
The tree is more for decoration purposes. We're gonna get fake plants to wrap it around. And the basking light has an adjustable knob so I can lower the temp on it. Also, the building i made him is pyramid shaped. It also has sanded grout so it feels like rock. He seems to like it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The tree is more for decoration purposes. We're gonna get fake plants to wrap it around. And the basking light has an adjustable knob so I can lower the temp on it. Also, the building i made him is pyramid shaped. It also has sanded grout so it feels like rock. He seems to like it.
The tank looks great but I recommend you get it off the floor- dragons like to see what's going on around them plus the floor is drafty and cold - you can look for a dresser w/ drawers or a stand at your local second hand stores- I found a dresser w/ drawers that I keep the dragons supplies in for $40

Pedroluna0

Hatchling Dragon
The tank looks great but I recommend you get it off the floor- dragons like to see what's going on around them plus the floor is drafty and cold - you can look for a dresser w/ drawers or a stand at your local second hand stores- I found a dresser w/ drawers that I keep the dragons supplies in for $40
I was thinking the same. Next project is to build a stand out of 2x4s. Got some left over screws I could use.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
U are correct many materials are harmful to Beardies and making an enclosure has a lot of rules and regulations from proper air vents to many delays, etc benign harmful. Purchase a che is better in which the doors open in the front. U can get a 120 gallon for about $500 on Amazon or a 40 gallon of Beardie is under 8mnths old from Petsmart for $169 with a Petsmart member card that u join which is free. Better to be safe than sorry.
What is it with you continuously telling people to spend $500+ on an enclosure despite being repeatedly told that OP is here to build his own?? Read the title and stop giving out unwanted/incorrect advice everywhere.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Looks good but bummer the basking is low to the ground and just a rock Beardies like to be high up typically. When n he gets bigger like about 8mnths u will need a 120 gallon tank and a real basking platform so he’s comfy. Also get him a fleece blanket so he can lounge on it maybe place in his hide and get him a hammock amd place it behind or in front of the basking spot so he has a lesser warmer area to lounge when the basking is too hot. Here’s a pic of mine also some teeny pillows they love to prop up. They love to watch tv; movement is their entertainment soft mellow shows like friends, I love Raymond etc. No violence. Mine watch tv form the front and on the back they look at the greenery in the yard. I make sure blinds are positioned to not let the sin blaze into the enclosure of course.
Good God, you're probably the most negative person I've ever seen.
I'm rarely on here, so I haven't seen any of your recent posts, but I'm wondering why you're not banned at this point.

Giving out info is a good thing, and you seem to have quite a bit.
But delivery is key, and if you can't deliver info in a good way, you failed.
I mean, according to you it's too low to the ground, okay, maybe.
But, just sitting there saying that they can do better and do more is stupid and chaotic.

Also, let me get this straight, and I may have read it wrong, but hear me out.
Did you say that beardies should watch shows with no violence?
If not, I apologize, but if so, this takes crazy BD lady to a whole new level.

@Pedroluna0, I think it looks great, IMHO the height of the basking rock looks okay to me.
Maybe a tad bit low, but nothing that will end the world.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Agreed.
I think it would be better up on something, as @Sadie said.
Probably one of the few things I'd change.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Good God, you're probably the most negative person I've ever seen.
I'm rarely on here, so I haven't seen any of your recent posts, but I'm wondering why you're not banned at this point.

Giving out info is a good thing, and you seem to have quite a bit.
But delivery is key, and if you can't deliver info in a good way, you failed.
I mean, according to you it's too low to the ground, okay, maybe.
But, just sitting there saying that they can do better and do more is stupid and chaotic.

Also, let me get this straight, and I may have read it wrong, but hear me out.
Did you say that beardies should watch shows with no violence?
If not, I apologize, but if so, this takes crazy BD lady to a whole new level.

@Pedroluna0, I think it looks great, IMHO the height of the basking rock looks okay to me.
Maybe a tad bit low, but nothing that will end the world.
We rescue & rehome and we have seen it all. Many people don’t even know the basics. I apologize if u think I’m negative that’s a first. This is for the Beardies sake amd well being to understand the proper husbandry that’s all. Did u notice he has the temp at 105 for an adult-it shoidl only be 95-100. Did u notice the digital screen of the the outer inside the tank needs to be placed outside of the tank only the probe inside on the basking platform. Pleaee keep your anger to yourself. Come see what we find then maybe u will shed a tear and change your ways/attitude.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Looks good however an adult Beardie the temp should only be 95-100; more like 97 or so. So def maybe get a 100watt zoomed clear heat lamp or a lower basking platform. The branched teee is that his basking platform? Hes too old/big to have a tree like that; that’s nore for babies & those under a year old; he needs a flat platform, or pyramid type so he’s comfy and the hammock behind it is good. Google basking platforms or hit Petsmart. U can always return anything back. Other than that looks great.
Also one more temp the probe is to remain in the tank like You have it but the digital screen u have to place & stick on the glass outside the enclosure & u also need a hygomwter for humidity it needs to be 30-40 never higher than 40.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We rescue & rehome and we have seen it all. Many people don’t even know the basics. I apologize if u think I’m negative that’s a first. This is for the Beardies sake amd well being to understand the proper husbandry that’s all.
It can be for the BD's sake as much as you want.
The fact remains that no one will listen to you if you just tell them they are doing everything wrong all the time.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
YES they hate loud noise, yelling & violence. You are here to creat chaos & do the opposite of whats beat for the Beardie thats Sad!! Get a life please.
I wonder if my BD next to me would mind if I just shot myself in the head right now.
10/10 recommend, especially when listening to crazy people.

You're telling me to get a life?
Really!?
Now I'm ticked.
Look at you, telling everyone they're wrong, saying they should spend great amounts of money, giving out insane, inconvenient, and un-needed advice... what a life you have.
Oh, and you're excuse is that you re-home?
Good for you, doesn't make you better than anyone else.
That doesn't mean you know everything.
That doesn't make you the one to decide.
What a life.

No, I'm done with this garbage.
I haven't met many people like you.
Now I remember why I left most forums.
Because toxic people like you reside in them that have no regard for other people.

Let me also say, have you ever seen Jeremiah Johnson?
Last I checked, it isn't something like a Marvel movie.
But, even if it was, I don't care!
I don't give a crap!
Maybe loud noises, sure, but I rarely have the volume over 30.
But, even then!
I live on a farm!
Where I drive a dozer!
And a skidsteer!
And a tractor!
And my house is not sound-proof!
And guess what!?
I can guarantee you that my BD can hear it.
Is she dead? No.
Is she hurt? No.

I'm sick and tired of people saying that they're better than everyone else and saying all they do is wrong!
It's insane and is chaotic.
You're telling me I'm causing chaos?!
Well, sure enough, now I am!
Guess why.
Do you freaking need to?!

I'm done.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
We rescue & rehome and we have seen it all.
But apparently you haven't seen a beardie eat something bigger than the distance between his eyes or use an MVB and be fine. Since I've seen them and more, I guess I've seen more than you, eh?
Many people don’t even know the basics.
And many people "know" an incorrect version of the "basics" like you.
I apologize if u think I’m negative that’s a first.
Second at least. Third if you count OP... on a thread of like 5 participants...
This is for the Beardies sake amd well being to understand the proper husbandry that’s all.
I'm starting to think this is more for your ego of a "rescuer who's seen it all."
Did u notice he has the temp at 105 for an adult-it shoidl only be 95-100.
Doesn't matter; the beardy can avoid the 105 spot. I have a 107 spot that my beardie usually avoids to get into the comfort zone around it but once in a while, he's right on that hot spot. In the Australian wilderness, there are places that are over 107 degrees baked under the hot sun and beardies choose where they like to be just fine because there is a gradient, are you aware?
Did u notice the digital screen of the the outer inside the tank needs to be placed outside of the tank only the probe inside on the basking platform.
This sentence does not make sense in English. The digital display can be inside the tank when it's just checking the temps. I assume it's not permanently there. Even if it is, it's just ugly; it does not impair function.
Pleaee keep your anger to yourself.
Please keep your bad information and expensive incorrect advice to yourself, especially when nobody asked for it.
Come see what we find then maybe u will shed a tear and change your ways/attitude.
Come see how people can raise healthy beardies doing things you think are "deadly to the Max" and maybe you will change your attitude.
YES they hate loud noise, yelling & violence.
How do you know they hate violence? Have you seen a beardie eat a quail chick or mouse pup? Maybe turn down the volume. It's the same as if you blast out Seinfeld on max with the TV 2 inches from the enclosure. It has nothing to do with the content of the show.
You are here to creat chaos & do the opposite of whats beat for the Beardie thats Sad!! Get a life please.
You are here to give incorrect information and advice to feed your ego as some "rescuer who's seen it all" when there is so much more for you to see and learn. It's sad that you have so many rules and restrictions but people can raise healthy beardies breaking most or all of them, and even when they tell you their experiences, you are incapable of learning. That type of ignorance on what can be done is as bad as being uneducated on how to keep beardies healthy at all. Your attempts to spread incorrect information are sad and you should get an open mind instead of telling others who can find innovative solutions (and actually build an enclosure instead of spending $550 on one) to get a life.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
But apparently you haven't seen a beardie eat something bigger than the distance between his eyes or use an MVB and be fine. Since I've seen them and more, I guess I've seen more than you, eh?

And many people "know" an incorrect version of the "basics" like you.

Second at least.

I'm starting to think this is more for your ego of a "rescuer who's seen it all."

Doesn't matter; the beardy can avoid the 105 spot. I have a 107 spot that my beardie usually avoids to get into the comfort zone around it but once in a while, he's right on that hot spot. In the Australian wilderness, there are places that are over 107 degrees baked under the hot sun and beardies choose where they like to be just fine because there is a gradient, are you aware?

This sentence does not make sense in English. The digital display can be inside the tank when it's just checking the temps. I assume it's not permanently there.

Please keep your bad information and expensive incorrect advice to yourself, especially when nobody asked for it.

Come see how people can raise healthy beardies doing things you think are "deadly to the Max" and maybe you will change your attitude.

How do you know they hate violence? Have you seen a beardie eat a quail chick or mouse pup? Maybe turn down the volume. It's the same as if you blast out Seinfeld on max with the TV 2 inches from the enclosure. It has nothing to do with the content of the show.

You are here to give incorrect information and advice to feed our ego as some "rescuer who's seen it all" when there is so much more for you to see and learn. It's sad that you have so many rules and restrictions but people can raise healthy beardies breaking most or all of them, and even when they tell you their experiences, you are incapable of learning. That type of ignorance on what can be done is as bad as being uneducated on how to keep beardies healthy at all. Your attempts to spread incorrect information are sad and you should get an open mind instead of telling others who can find innovative solutions to get a life.
Enuff!! This is from daily/years of experience, all the vets we work with & all the Beardies we houze!! Now STOP!! U need help. My info is incorrect? On what basis is it incorrect!! Go use your STIMULUS check or UNEMPLOYMENT checks to care for the Beardie!! A Beardie is an investment u can’t be cheap or cut corners!!!! U want to do to what u want to do & it’s not what’s right & very Sad!!

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Enuff!! This is form experience the vets we work with & all the Beardies we houze!! Now STOP!!u need help. My info is incorrect? On what basis? A Beardie is an investment u can’t be cheap or cut corners!!!! U want to do to what u want to do & it’s not what’s right & very Sad!!
Ron Swanson I Want to Punch You in the Face.gif

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
LOL I'll be the judge of that.
This is from daily/years of experience, all the vets we work with & all the Beardies we houze!!
Well, if you do the same thing for years without variation or innovation, that would explain why you are ignorant to all things outside of your very narrow field. You can keep a beardy healthy, but others can do it cheaper and easier, and maybe even healthier.
Now STOP!!
Let me think about that... No.
U need help.
Nah, I can handle this convo with you alone. You need help to actually debate.
My info is incorrect? On what basis is it incorrect!!
Many.

You said beardies can't eat things bigger than the space between their eyes. Go look at Youtube for a beardie eating a hornworm. I personally fed 3 inch silkworms every day. You're wrong.

You said the MVBs are deadly to the max but myself and other members raise beardies just fine with them. You're wrong again.

You said that mealworms can't be fed to beardies but many people do and thier beardies are just as healthy as yours.
You're wrong again.

You said beardies hate violent shows. That's just purely invented by you and too stupid to even rebut.

Just off the top of my head, there are those. There are likely many more.
Go use your STIMULUS check or UNEMPLOYMENT checks to care for the Beardie!!
I don't have either. Actually, I earn six figures working for a medical diagnostics company. I told you before I have a PhD in human genetics, right? I like budgeting and innovative solutions because it's a challenge to one's innovative capacity, not because I have to and I'll decide how I spend my money, not you.
A Beardie is an investment u can’t be cheap or cut corners!!!!
And investment is something that you expect to make you a return so unless you breed them to sell, no they are not. Oh, and that's another thing to add to the list of things on which you are wrong! I can be cheap and I can cut corners and I can get results equal or better to yours because I am smarter. That's how the world works.
U want to do to what u want to do & it’s not what’s right & very Sad!!
Your English is the only thing that's not right in this sentence and it's very sad that you are always proven wrong.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
@Julee1971 Also, I have always responded to you in point-to-point rebuttal format. This is the format that people use when they know how to debate and can take apart all of your claims one-by-one. I'd appreciate it if you would do the same when attempting to debate me instead of responding in a garbled mess devoid of any meaningful content such as, "I'm a rescuer and I've am sene it ALL! Be intimtidated bye mah expjerience! U stop Talking! STOP!! SHUT UP! I'm right cus I rescue beardies! U can't save money if I can't save money or U R SAD!"

PS. Yes, all of the mistakes in the sentence in quotations were made on purpose to emulate your writing style. I would just put SIC at the end to indicate that but I don't expect a person who writes like you to know what that means.