• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building enclosure

Pedroluna0

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, all!

I was wanting to build my beardie, Spike, a bigger enclosure out of an old entertainment armoire I bought from someone on Facebook. The more I looked into custom enclosures, the more I kept finding out about materials harmful to beardies, mainly the kind of material the enclosure is made of. From what I've Googled, I think this armoire is made of fiberboard. My questions are, is it safe for Spike and will it be safe with the basking light?

Attachments

• 16075801282516586079452398684345.jpg
    16075801282516586079452398684345.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 16075801539726688400026174269347.jpg
    16075801539726688400026174269347.jpg
    968.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 16075802119532910012334982425695.jpg
    16075802119532910012334982425695.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 16075802380446212815671231255704.jpg
    16075802380446212815671231255704.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Fiberboard can contain formaldehyde, but is only toxic if you breathe in large amounts while cutting it. It should be fine as long as you cover the whole thing in aquarium safe sealant and clean out all the dust from inside it. It's not a lot stronger than cardboard, so you'll definitely want to put a few coats of sealant and maybe some support beams or something. The basking light is fine, just make sure it doesn't come into direct contact with the fiberboard.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi, all!

I was wanting to build my beardie, Spike, a bigger enclosure out of an old entertainment armoire I bought from someone on Facebook. The more I looked into custom enclosures, the more I kept finding out about materials harmful to beardies, mainly the kind of material the enclosure is made of. From what I've Googled, I think this armoire is made of fiberboard. My questions are, is it safe for Spike and will it be safe with the basking light?
Melamin board is the best or glass those hold heat the best and not harmful. Just buy a cage from Carolina custom cages it’s $550 on Amazon for the 4feetby2feetby2Feet which is 120 gallon.

Pedroluna0

Hatchling Dragon
Fiberboard can contain formaldehyde, but is only toxic if you breathe in large amounts while cutting it. It should be fine as long as you cover the whole thing in aquarium safe sealant and clean out all the dust from inside it. It's not a lot stronger than cardboard, so you'll definitely want to put a few coats of sealant and maybe some support beams or something. The basking light is fine, just make sure it doesn't come into direct contact with the fiberboard.
Thanks for your reply! My other question is will 2x4 whitewood studs be ok to use? I want to use the 2x4 for extra support in certain areas. I plan on sealing everything inside with at least 4 or 5 coats of polyurethane water based.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Thanks for your reply! My other question is will 2x4 whitewood studs be ok to use? I want to use the 2x4 for extra support in certain areas. I plan on sealing everything inside with at least 4 or 5 coats of polyurethane water based.
Some whitewood can give off fumes when heated, and some wood types offered as generic whitewood are dangerous. Poplar, hardwood, and aspen are great if you can find them, just make sure it wasn't treated with anything to be safe. Whitewood will be okay if it doesn't go on the inside of the enclosure, though.

Pedroluna0

Hatchling Dragon
Some whitewood can give off fumes when heated, and some wood types offered as generic whitewood are dangerous. Poplar, hardwood, and aspen are great if you can find them, just make sure it wasn't treated with anything to be safe. Whitewood will be okay if it doesn't go on the inside of the enclosure, though.
Ok, I was planning in using it inside the enclosure. What about oak board?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Look on Craigslist or offer up or buy a 40gallom for $170 at petco or pwtsmart!!
What's wrong with building a cage? It's more affordable, you can design it to fit the style and shape of your room, and you can make some really cool custom backgrounds. You can also include custom features, such as a substrate tray, a drainage layer for bioactive, or sliding doors. Also, why pay $170 for a tank that's going to be too cramped when you can just go straight to your dream enclosure?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
What's wrong with building a cage? It's more affordable, you can design it to fit the style and shape of your room, and you can make some really cool custom backgrounds. You can also include custom features, such as a substrate tray, a drainage layer for bioactive, or sliding doors. Also, why pay $170 for a tank that's going to be too cramped when you can just go straight to your dream enclosure?
If u use the right material etc it can be successful & the right ventilation for proper air flow I’m not by any means capable of that and most are not unless u are a reptile enclosure builder. Ask around call Carolina custom cages for help ans Google Google Google a lot of stuff is toxic for Beardies & not water friendly

Pedroluna0

Hatchling Dragon
If u use the right material etc it can be successful & the right ventilation for proper air flow I’m not by any means capable of that and most are not unless u are a reptile enclosure builder. Ask around call Carolina custom cages for help ans Google Google Google a lot of stuff is toxic for Beardies & not water friendly
I'm not a reptile enclosure builder, but I'm still giving it a go. And I've been Googling the hell out of everything, even when I first got Spike about a month ago, so I got a pretty solid understanding of what to use and avoid. I posted my question here because I couldn't find a straight answer like @HoomanSlave gave me.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well, that's YOUR problem.
If you don't know how or can't build a cage, nothing against you.
But, to the people like me, who can, or come from a LONG line of mechanics and such, it is very possible.
I see too many people that say others can't do something because they can't.
Let me tell you...
That. Is. Stupid. Period.
BDD

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It's been a while, but here's an update on the finished enclosure.
Looks good but bummer the basking is low to the ground and just a rock Beardies like to be high up typically. When n he gets bigger like about 8mnths u will need a 120 gallon tank and a real basking platform so he’s comfy. Also get him a fleece blanket so he can lounge on it maybe place in his hide and get him a hammock amd place it behind or in front of the basking spot so he has a lesser warmer area to lounge when the basking is too hot. Here’s a pic of mine also some teeny pillows they love to prop up. They love to watch tv; movement is their entertainment soft mellow shows like friends, I love Raymond etc. No violence. Mine watch tv form the front and on the back they look at the greenery in the yard. I make sure blinds are positioned to not let the sin blaze into the enclosure of course.

Attachments

• 4EE83FB5-2A5F-4666-86E1-94183A8DF94C.jpeg
    4EE83FB5-2A5F-4666-86E1-94183A8DF94C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 43

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi, all!

U are correct many materials are harmful to Beardies and making an enclosure has a lot of rules and regulations from proper air vents to many delays, etc benign harmful. Purchase a che is better in which the doors open in the front. U can get a 120 gallon for about $500 on Amazon or a 40 gallon of Beardie is under 8mnths old from Petsmart for $169 with a Petsmart member card that u join which is free. Better to be safe than sorry.

Pedroluna0

Hatchling Dragon
Looks good but bummer the basking is low to the ground and just a rock Beardies like to be high up typically. When n he gets bigger like about 8mnths u will need a 120 gallon tank and a real basking platform so he’s comfy. Also get him a fleece blanket so he can lounge on it maybe place in his hide and get him a hammock amd place it behind or in front of the basking spot so he has a lesser warmer area to lounge when the basking is too hot. Here’s a pic of mine also some teeny pillows they love to prop up.
He's 2 years old. The first thing he did was climb on the small building on the left hand side. Basking light is 12" from the rock, 16" from the floor, 150w and before I placed him in there, temp on the rock read 105F. A 120 gallon tank measures at about 48" x 24" x 24". My custom enclosure measures 55" x 32" x 16" And the hammock just came in today. Here's an updated picture I just took.

Attachments

• 20210324_100501.jpg
    20210324_100501.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210324_100511.jpg
    20210324_100511.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 34