• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building a new enclosure

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
I used what I had on hand... Awkward but it worked !

Oh...I don't doubt it. Just thought I'd throw that little tidbit out there for anybody thinking to try the same technique. Better to be safe, than sorry. ;)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Quote from: zebraflavencs on Today at 03:16:30 PM

Oh...I don't doubt it. Just thought I'd throw that little tidbit out there for anybody thinking to try the same technique. Better to be safe, than sorry.

LOL, dont worry Janie I get that too. If I cant find the right tool for the job, I improvise (And got the scars to prove it). Us girls tend to do things a bit differently.

But yeah better safe than sorry

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:
Quote from: zebraflavencs on Today at 03:16:30 PM

Oh...I don't doubt it. Just thought I'd throw that little tidbit out there for anybody thinking to try the same technique. Better to be safe, than sorry.

LOL, dont worry Janie I get that too. If I cant find the right tool for the job, I improvise (And got the scars to prove it). Us girls tend to do things a bit differently.

But yeah better safe than sorry

LOL...I do this too. If I can't find the screwdriver I just get a knife. My sister had my hammer so I got a rock from the yard, I looked like a cave woman, it took longer but got the job done.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
maybe a chimp. Advise for all....do not use a rock as a hammer, if you do, you will look funny

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
maybe a chimp. Advise for all....do not use a rock as a hammer, if you do, you will look funny

I don't need a rock hammer to look funny! LOL!

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hacksaw it is. Okay Janie, when you cut it out, how did you fill in the flaws? Since you cut the dowels, there still will be a piece of the dowel, and the hole ?

Craiger said:
staylor said:

I don't need a rock hammer to look funny! LOL!

LOL Craig!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I didn't cut out the dowels.. just cut them flush with the side wood...
A touch of stain, and once dried to color, polyurethane to seal.. and wallah...
Hope this helps.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Updating this thread.

Well, the time is almost here.
I'll be getting to work on this thing next week, finally..
Just a few questions before I get started !

Okay SO, the wood already there. I can just leave it bare, right? Don't have to use anything to put on it.....?
Now tiles. I had a great idea. The original idea was to glue them down and grout them right into the enclosure. But now, it has come where weight might be an issue. I'm already going to be attaching plywood to the back for support once that shelf is out, so it's going to be quite heavy... plus all the stuff I'm putting inside. So now what I'm doing is cutting plywood to floorspace size, and gluing and grouting the tile to that.. so that it's removable (because those tiles will make the unit so dang heavy).. Now, do I have to use anything after those tiles are grouted ?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think most grouts have sealer incorporated into them... don't they ? If not, then some sealer would be in order.. Though you can't totally seal those tiles or the grout..
Hope this helps.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm still unsure about the grout. But my sister said it's pretty much concrete and therefore nothing can go through it? I hope that's correct.

So far, we've took out the shelf. It was a PITA, but we got it. And it wasn't doweled! It was nailed in. Anyway, it left a nice light wood color from where it was. What sucks, is that I just can't PAINT it, because the wood grain has more than one color. So it would look silly with a solid color in just that spot.

I've decided I'm going to just paint the whole inside. What kind of paint do I use? Help please!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Water based Latex.
Allow to fully dry, and ventilate out.

Once you have the uniform color ( took me 3 coats, on raw wood) then apply the polyurethane to seal in the paint.

That was also 3 coats, allowed to dry and ventilate, and you will want to do all this outside, or at least in a different room from where dragon is currently housed.

That comment about the cement.. it is permeable, the pores are small, but still present. It would still have to be sealed somehow.. Even silicone isn't a complete seal..
Hope this helps.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Janie.

But I do still have to seal the tiles/grout? Will it be fine as is? I'm still a little confused...

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardie_love said:
Thanks Janie.

But I do still have to seal the tiles/grout? Will it be fine as is? I'm still a little confused...

Yeah, you still need to seal the tiles and the grout. The grout especially. Otherwise, you add risk of fluids and/or waste pentrating the grout and creating a very unpleasant environment for your beardie.

Just be careful...especially if you use a spray sealant. It can be very caustic. You may look into the type of sealant that lets you rub it on like a shoe polish. I'm pretty sure I ran across some when I was looking into it a few years ago.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay well I don't really know what polyurethane is.....but..... Can that be used to seal the grout and tiles? ???

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Polyeurethane is a wood sealer. Honestly, I'm not sure if it can be used to seal grout or not.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hmmmmmmm. Perhaps you could recommend a product, Craig? Then I'd have an idea of what I'm looking for....
I don't know much about sealants and stuff.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Let me see what I can find. Can you spray it outside? Or will this be inside. If outside, I have just the thing.