• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation????

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have been reading the forum and see a lot of beardie's are either in brumation or about to go into brum; My little beauty i think is also being added to the list lol-She is approx; 7-months old on the 16th of this month, and i believe she is too young but who knows. She is sleeping all day under her little bridge on the hot side[110] and occasionally goes to the cool side[80-85].She does not eat well but eats salad and a few crix; She is not sick-that i know for sure.Still the same as always. Is this possable with this global warming we are having??? I have been told-they either go into brum; in the fall or winter. Someone give me their opinion please as it's getting confusing with an old dog that may be dying and my nerves are just about gone. I must add she is in a shed as well-but this started before shed. Thanks river-aka-bella-thasnks to all that respond.all opinions welcome-GERM HELP!!!!-it is 9-55 in canada and i just gave 'LiL' 'Beauty' a few crix; and she ate them which is a change for her-useually[sp] she will not eat in the am. Just to add this is not a regular happening-usually she sleeps and eats a few a supper. Maybe she is at the age where she only eats once a day but i feel bad if that was the case as i like to make sure she's not hungrey.She does eat some of her salad or a lot depends on the day.Thanks

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes in the wild they brumate in the fall when it's cooler & food is scarce. In captivity, WE control their seasons, food is not scarce, or shouldn't be. Keeping the enclosure temps & lighting (Day\Night) schedules as consistent as possible may help to stave off Brumation, as they may not sense a season change. This may work sometimes but not all the time, as it is hardwired into their system. Changes in temps &\or day length can make them sense a season change & more likely to trigger brumation. This is why a electronic timer to keep day\night lighting consistent is invaluable & keeping the ambient room temps consistent, which in turn will keep the enclosure environment fluctuations minimal. If she is eating & pooping, personally I would not be overly concerned, even though there seems to have been many this year starting Brumation younger, I think 7 months would make me severely question that this may be Brumation setting in.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Germ; I really do think that she may be trying to brumate. It is very wierd, but as i stated before temps are all right on she is on a timer and i know she's not sick-SOO that only leaves brumation.And i also know she is very young=unless i was lied to when i got her but i don't think so.She goes to bed at 7-30-and-suppose to up at the same time. But she sleeps most of the day once she eats back to sleep.Unless i got a lazy dragon-but she is in shed as well. And shedding usually doe's not bother her.She is approx; 16-17-inches right now at 7-months old. I would post a pic but have to get memory card and a battery and old dog dying and little one sick so i have my hands full right now.Yes, she's eating and pooping-that is what's confusing me and i phoned my vet and she basically said the same as we have but it's possable??? She has been examined and healthy as a horse. SOO?????I took her about 3-weeks ago. No pariste's[sp] and very healthy blood work done and all negetive. Bella

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
UPDATE; On LIL BEAUTY; She has been on her cool side for at least 4-5-days now and her eyes are fixed but she will watch me when i go in her tank. She will hand feed some of her salad ie; a few little pieces-no poop, not much eating and staying on her cool side. Any help would be appreciated.bella-aka-river.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Another update; Well not brumation i think i got a lazy dragon. I moved her lights to her cool side and she was basking and all over the tank yesterday. So i think i have it solved-turns out she likes her log better then her little bridge for basking.Soo i just moved her lights over to where she was. And all seems well one way to slay a dragon. If it don't work on 1-side it will on the other-Bella