• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation?

xdebbiex

Bearded Dragon Egg
I also have a 6 month old beardie that's not had much of an appetite lately and he has also been sleeping more often. I'm sure it's a form of brumation. I have all of the correct lighting and Temps in his set up. It's winter in Iowa, I'd brumate too if I could!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I also have a 6 month old beardie that's not had much of an appetite lately and he has also been sleeping more often. I'm sure it's a form of brumation. I have all of the correct lighting and Temps in his set up. It's winter in Iowa, I'd brumate too if I could!
6 month old dragons should be active basking eating and pooping --- if the dragon is doing alot of sleeping something is off in the tank --- it is very uncommon for a 6 month old dragon to brumate unless they are a huge dragon --- improper lighting will replicate brumation in dragons --- please post a pic of the tank or go over the lighting UVB brand and bulb coil or tube where in the tank is it and basking temps how are you taking them ? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- if the lighting is all correct then something else is going on --- UVB and basking temps control the behavior and overall health of the dragon

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
You need to keep the basking and UVB lights on everyday still, I wud keep them on for 10hours since it’s winter time; it should be 10-12 hours in the winter but if he’s brimstone do 10hours; also still offer food/water and make sure his belly is empty when he’s brumating; u can give him a lukewarm bath in dechlorinated water to get him to eliminate and rub his belly gently downwards to help get him to poop then just let him be. Also what do u mean by UVA at 105 and UVB at 80??? Makes No Sense. U need a CLEAR basking bulb for Heat; never ever use colored or coiled bulbs, it burns their eyes. The best one is ZooMed it gives off the best heat. And u need a UVB light that emits UVB that he needs for absorbing Vitamin D, breaking down the calcium powder and having strong bones/energy to eat & walk. This UVB bulb needs replacing religiously every “6”Mnths!! The best and recommended one is: Reptisun 10.0 T5; it’s a long tubular bulb and the length u order should cover 70prcnt of the cage. Maybe u need to replace the UVB or you don’t have the proper one; that will make a Beardie have wreak bones, not eat and eventually leads to death. Hope this helps & handle the UVB asap u will see a huge difference.
The basking area where the UVA is has a temp of around 105 degrees. It is a reptile UVA bulb I can't remember what brand. The cool area of the tank is at around 80. I have the exact UVB bulb you mentioned that covers 75% of the ceiling of the tank. I replaced the bulb and immediately he seemed to be better but in the past few days he seems like he is slowly resorting back to staying in his cave for long periods and not very interested in eating.

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Good. Glad to hear it. I think that's what's going on with mine too. I'm in NY and it's winter. The lighting is the same set up it has been since I got him and he has been more than fine. Changed the UVB to see if it made a difference. I thought it did but now I'm thinking otherwise. I think I just keep disrupting his Brumation by trying to put him in his basking spot and sticking food in his face.

xdebbiex

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good. Glad to hear it. I think that's what's going on with mine too. I'm in NY and it's winter. The lighting is the same set up it has been since I got him and he has been more than fine. Changed the UVB to see if it made a difference. I thought it did but now I'm thinking otherwise. I think I just keep disrupting his Brumation by trying to put him in his basking spot and sticking food in his

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good. Glad to hear it. I think that's what's going on with mine too. I'm in NY and it's winter. The lighting is the same set up it has been since I got him and he has been more than fine. Changed the UVB to see if it made a difference. I thought it did but now I'm thinking otherwise. I think I just keep disrupting his Brumation by trying to put him in his basking spot and sticking food in his face.
6 month old dragons do not brumate-- brumation for a dragon typically starts at 1 year unless you have a huge dragon weighing 300 grams +-+ incorrect lighting temps uvb will replicate brumation

xdebbiex

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ya I have the correct lighting and Temps that everyone recommends and he had no problem with staying awake all day and having an outrageous appetite until a a few weeks ago. His appetite really decreased and he goes to sleep in his hut before the lights turn off and naps some throughout the day. He is a big boy for 6 months old so I don't worry too much about his decreased appetite for now. He is not starving himself, he knows what to do. I keep veggies in his bowl along with those super worms and he does eat some of both. As far as crickets go, I've always hand-fed them to him and he will now occasionally eat a few here and there but not a ton like he would before the winter set in. I still get him out throughout the day to cuddle and explore and offer him crickets. If he hasn't pooped for a few days a warm bath usually does the trick! He acts fine otherwise. I do get worried about him though and start reading all these post and questioning whether my lights or Temps or something is wrong but I've came to the conclusion it's his way of brumation. He'll probably be one of those beardies that goes into a deep sleep for months when he gets older. I hope not cause I'll miss hanging out with my little dude for all that time!

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Ya I have the correct lighting and Temps that everyone recommends and he had no problem with staying awake all day and having an outrageous appetite until a a few weeks ago. His appetite really decreased and he goes to sleep in his hut before the lights turn off and naps some throughout the day. He is a big boy for 6 months old so I don't worry too much about his decreased appetite for now. He is not starving himself, he knows what to do. I keep veggies in his bowl along with those super worms and he does eat some of both. As far as crickets go, I've always hand-fed them to him and he will now occasionally eat a few here and there but not a ton like he would before the winter set in. I still get him out throughout the day to cuddle and explore and offer him crickets. If he hasn't pooped for a few days a warm bath usually does the trick! He acts fine otherwise. I do get worried about him though and start reading all these post and questioning whether my lights or Temps or something is wrong but I've came to the conclusion it's his way of brumation. He'll probably be one of those beardies that goes into a deep sleep for months when he gets older. I hope not cause I'll miss hanging out with my little dude for all that time!
Good. Glad to hear someone else is having the same thing going on. All my lights are good. All my temps are good too. He has been in the same set up for 6 months (he's actually most likely somewhere between 7-9months. Idk exactly) and he has had absolutely 0 problems up until the recent change in behavior, which seemed to coincide with winter setting in. I feel like if it were a light or temp thing he would still be out trying to get some UV and heat, but he insists on hiding in the shadows of his cave

xdebbiex

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good. Glad to hear someone else is having the same thing going on. All my lights are good. All my temps are good too. He has been in the same set up for 6 months (he's actually most likely somewhere between 7-9months. Idk exactly) and he has had absolutely 0 problems up until the recent change in behavior, which seemed to coincide with winter setting in. I feel like if it were a light or temp thing he would still be out trying to get some UV and heat, but he insists on hiding in the shadows of his cave
I agree! If there were a problem with the cage set up they would have been acting this way before now. It just coincides with the cooler weather brumation thing to me. I did a Google search for it and there are a ton of people questioning the same thing all over different sites about their young beardies acting similar during this time of year. They say some beardies brumate and some don't and the harm would be the weight loss and lack of nutrition. My little buddy is a big boy so I don't belive it's gonna hurt him too kick back and chill for awhile. Not like he's out cold for weeks not eating a thing. He'll be fine and so will yours. They'll perk up again soon.

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
I agree! If there were a problem with the cage set up they would have been acting this way before now. It just coincides with the cooler weather brumation thing to me. I did a Google search for it and there are a ton of people questioning the same thing all over different sites about their young beardies acting similar during this time of year. They say some beardies brumate and some don't and the harm would be the weight loss and lack of nutrition. My little buddy is a big boy so I don't belive it's gonna hurt him too kick back and chill for awhile. Not like he's out cold for weeks not eating a thing. He'll be fine and so will yours. They'll perk up again soon.
Awesome. Thanks for the tips. So it's no big deal if I handle him during this time? I don't want to mess with his cycle if he needs to just be where he is in his cave relaxing.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awesome. Thanks for the tips. So it's no big deal if I handle him during this time? I don't want to mess with his cycle if he needs to just be where he is in his cave relaxing.
If they are in true brumation it is not good to handle them --- true brumation would be you cant wake them up -- if hes semi brumating they would come out once in a while to bask and possibly eat -- and they would be awake -- mine will go into their hides and sleep for a few days then come out to bask etc sometimes they eat sometimes they dont eat -- that is semi brumation-- here is a article on brumation

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
If they are in true brumation it is not good to handle them --- true brumation would be you cant wake them up -- if hes semi brumating they would come out once in a while to bask and possibly eat -- and they would be awake -- mine will go into their hides and sleep for a few days then come out to bask etc sometimes they eat sometimes they dont eat -- that is semi brumation-- here is a article on brumation
Ok, I think he is semi Brumation. I'll read up, but I can definitely wake him up and he does seem to come out from time to time. Sometimes he is just in there and awake anyway.

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
I would recommend a vet appointment and a fecal exam. If under a year old beardies will not go into brumation. It is possible that your UVB light have to be replaced because even though it will still produce light it is not providing the UVB they need to to survive and have to be replaced in 6 months. I would recommend a T5 Arcadia which is good for a year before they have to be replaced.

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
I would definitely get him a new bulb asap, ive had bulbs go out just after 3 months , baby to juvenile bearded dragons should be very active and bouncing around, what kind of diet are you feeding the beardy? If he’s eating pellets thats also cause for concern, bugs gutloaded with vegetables from the kitchen are your best diet right now, along with salad of leafy greens (no iceberg lettuce)
If mixed in with other leafy greens like Collard Greens, Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens you can add a little lettuce because that will help with hydration

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Not really. He's not eating when we feed him but he might be grabbing the crickets later when I don't see because the seem to be disappearing. It makes me think he's eating a little bit. I'll replace the UVB and see what happens.
Be careful with leaving the feeders in the enclosure because they will nibble at your beardie

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, he does have a stone on his basking area. When he was using his basking area he loved to curl up and sleep under and along side the stone and his log. I had a felt mat in there but he never used it. I'll try a folded hand towel and see what he does. Isn't the burrowing behavior part of Burmation?
burrowing isn't just a burmation behavior beardies in the wild dig all the time