• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breaded Dragon is Green!

Reality

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay, so my dragon "Puff" has been obsess with his new water warmer plate. Every time I walk in he is in the tub sleeping. He has gotten this gross green stuff over his body. What should I do to get rid of it, and limit him from being in the tub for long period of time? Also How long do you keep your dragon out and about? I would like to play with him more but school is in the way and I don't want him being sick without heat expose. Also he is starting to hiss at me because I don't see him much anymore. Any tips or support will greatly be appreciate!
12767955_146697995718202_388620580_o.jpg
12772922_146697952384873_897011194_o.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Not sure what a water warming bowl is but it doesn't sound or look good. 1st off beardies don't really feel heat on their belly so they could over heat and get burned and not realize it. The green stuff on him is algae. It's caused from being hot and humid and being under the UVB light. Another problem with humidity is it can cause upper respiratory infections.

I don't know if this will just come off. It might have to wait until a shed happens. You could bathe him and try scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and see if that helps get if off. I'm also concerned about the spot right on the tip of it's nose, not sure if that is algae too, I would have a vet look at it.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I totally agree with patsyb they don't need a water dish in there, as they will get moisture from the bugs and greens that you feed him.. So take that dish out, give the tank a good clean. Then like patsy said get a soft toothbrush and a warm sink gently see if the algae will come off and the rest will come off in future baths and during sheds.

He's not happy and hissing at you likely because his scales are uncomfortable.
Can you show us pictures of your set up? that way we can help you out.
What are your temps and humidity levels? What are you feeding? You can certainly take him out of his tank to hang out with you or what I do I have a totally safe room (safe from Izzy getting stuck somewhere, safe fro eating something, safe from escape. I have a rock set-up below a basking lamp so she runs around and when she needs to warm up she gets on the rocks then off again.) She also comes out of her tank during the evening and sleeps on my chest while we watch TV she stays warm from my body heat and I wear a fleece vest she likes as she's under that. They can safely be out of their tank for several hours when they turn dark they are getting cool or they are in a sun beam soaking up heat..then they should go back in their tank.

I do think a vet visit is in order to make sure that he doesn't have a upper respiratory issue from the increased humidity and get the nose checked.. they also may be able to help address the algae issue (but it should come off with some gentle brushing and his next shed)