• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blu's Introduction

mwalker225

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Everyone! New to the forum here just wanted to say hello and Blu and I are very happy to have joined with other Beardie enthusiasts! This will be my 6th year with Blu; this past week I switched her enclosure to Bio Active and she is IN LOVE WITH IT. Now she is brumating. I have heard mixed opinions on Brumation, some say they shouldn't be doing it in captivity others say its just a natural occurrence, so I just let her do her thing as she doesn't show signs of being unhealthy. Her new terrarium is a 4x2x2 PVC enclosure by Zen Habitats and I am currently using 2 100W Powersun Bulbs (UVB & UVA)(soon upgrading to 160W), 150W Basking Spot, 150W CHE (night time), and a 22" Glow and Grow LED light for my plants. Basking Spot stays around 110F and cool side gets to be just shy of 90F. I am just getting into the bioactive life and will from now on be giving all future pets the bioactive lifestyle. Would love any tips that others have had from using bioactive and love to answer any questions others might have about bioactive life (as best as I can).

Still waiting on some more branches and plants (Grapevine, Elephant Bush, and Spinless Prickly Pear Cactus) to come in due to HORRENDOUS postal service these days but will update picture when all is complete! IMG-1190.jpgIMG-1191.jpg

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi Everyone! New to the forum here just wanted to say hello and Blu and I are very happy to have joined with other Beardie enthusiasts! This will be my 6th year with Blu; this past week I switched her enclosure to Bio Active and she is IN LOVE WITH IT. Now she is brumating. I have heard mixed opinions on Brumation, some say they shouldn't be doing it in captivity others say its just a natural occurrence, so I just let her do her thing as she doesn't show signs of being unhealthy. Her new terrarium is a 4x2x2 PVC enclosure by Zen Habitats and I am currently using 2 100W Powersun Bulbs (UVB & UVA)(soon upgrading to 160W), 150W Basking Spot, 150W CHE (night time), and a 22" Glow and Grow LED light for my plants. Basking Spot stays around 110F and cool side gets to be just shy of 90F. I am just getting into the bioactive life and will from now on be giving all future pets the bioactive lifestyle. Would love any tips that others have had from using bioactive and love to answer any questions others might have about bioactive life (as best as I can).

Still waiting on some more branches and plants (Grapevine, Elephant Bush, and Spinless Prickly Pear Cactus) to come in due to HORRENDOUS postal service these days but will update picture when all is complete!View attachment 25292View attachment 25291
Welcome to the forum! And hello to you and Blu. Wow, nice set up. I'd luv to get Dex set up in a bio active tank for his permanent one, but am wondering if it will be a lot of work to maintain.?.?

I've heard of many captive beardies brumating, though I hear some don't. My guy is still a little too young to start and I'll probably have fits when he does thinking something's wrong. lol

iris123

Juvenile Dragon

Still waiting on some more branches and plants (Grapevine, Elephant Bush, and Spinless Prickly Pear Cactus) to come in due to HORRENDOUS postal service these days but will update picture when all is complete!View attachment 25292View attachment 25291
burmation occurs in the wild because in the winter the food dies off[except the eggs] and even though a captive bearded dragon has probably never set foot in austrilla they still have it built into their instinct when the food comes back and it warms up the bearded dragons come out of burmation when the wake up the males are full of sperm and the females ovulate so their first instinct when they wake up is to look for a mate

mwalker225

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum! And hello to you and Blu. Wow, nice set up. I'd luv to get Dex set up in a bio active tank for his permanent one, but am wondering if it will be a lot of work to maintain.?.?

I've heard of many captive beardies brumating, though I hear some don't. My guy is still a little too young to start and I'll probably have fits when he does thinking something's wrong. lol
From my research the viv does the majority of the maintaining. I have isopods (Spanish orange, powder orange and a mix of 4 kinds) in there and getting springtails tomorrow and they do the cleaning and maintain the soil for me. Sure I’ll be cleaning up a little and I have to mist it daily and keep and eye out on things but it should maintain and run itself with the plants and clean up crews.

mwalker225

Bearded Dragon Egg
burmation occurs in the wild because in the winter the food dies off[except the eggs] and even though a captive bearded dragon has probably never set foot in austrilla they still have it built into their instinct when the food comes back and it warms up the bearded dragons come out of burmation when the wake up the males are full of sperm and the females ovulate so their first instinct when they wake up is to look for a mate
Awesome! Thank you I’ve had people at my reptile store tell me that they shouldn’t be brumating in captivity cause it’s a temperature issue but my basking is 110 and rest of viv is 90 with a cool side of 85-90ish so I mean I figured it was just her instincts but wanted to see what everyone here thought. Thanks!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Id be careful misting daily , it seems like ur tank is very very hot so every other day watering should be fine, i know ur trying to keep ur bugs alive, ur beardy might get a respitory infection from to much misting, in my bio active i put a piece of wood over the dirt i mist so the wood traps the water from going up through my top layer of substrate , u might wanna move ur pretty plants to the back wall, i had to remove all mine cause my beardy thrashes them to smitherens and i cant find durable good looking plants : / ,

mwalker225

Bearded Dragon Egg
Id be careful misting daily , it seems like ur tank is very very hot so every other day watering should be fine, i know ur trying to keep ur bugs alive, ur beardy might get a respitory infection from to much misting, in my bio active i put a piece of wood over the dirt i mist so the wood traps the water from going up through my top layer of substrate , u might wanna move ur pretty plants to the back wall, i had to remove all mine cause my beardy thrashes them to smitherens and i cant find durable good looking plants : / ,
Awesome will definitely do that! I will switch to misting every other day or every two...and yes she has already had her fun running through the plants prior to going into brumation so hoping they will root and grabbed tightly while she is asleep and waiting on more cactus and succulents to come in and will probably have to replant everything anyway....i've been ordering mine through Bio Dude...also where i got my substrate from....from changing lights to the t5 10.0 strip bulb basking is at 105 (108 at a high point), 95 on ground, and 85-88 on cool (plant side) during the day