• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blueworms

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Hi,
I just got some small-medium size blue hornworms. How much should I feed a 6 month old beardie?
Thanks,
Cynthia

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
They grow FAST I'd feed him 2-3 a day, they're mainly water content, I fed my beardie nothing but hornworms for a week(stools were fine) cause they grew so fast a while ago, monitor his poos and see how he can handle them

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I always give him 2 or 3 when I feed my guy hornworms. Just remember they are only a treat and shouldn't be fed as a staple :) You can also cut the bigger ones in half and feed them since sometimes hornworms can be larger than your fingers haha

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
They grow FAST I'd feed him 2-3 a day, they're mainly water content, I fed my beardie nothing but hornworms for a week(stools were fine) cause they grew so fast a while ago, monitor his poos and see how he can handle them
My beardie just loves them like no tomorrow! Can’t hornworms be a staple? Please say yes ;-)

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
I always give him 2 or 3 when I feed my guy hornworms. Just remember they are only a treat and shouldn't be fed as a staple :) You can also cut the bigger ones in half and feed them since sometimes hornworms can be larger than your fingers haha
Oh my gosh she eats them like crazy! Would it be bad to feed her more? I first gave her 3, they disappeared in half a second

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Oh my gosh she eats them like crazy! Would it be bad to feed her more? I first gave her 3, they disappeared in half a second
They are really fattening I think. I'm not an expert so I can't say why for sure I just know as a fact we don't feed hornworms often. You could probably toss a small one in the salad for hydration -- probably not everyday though.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie just loves them like no tomorrow! Can’t hornworms be a staple? Please say yes ;-)
Website I looked at said 80% moisture and the rest protein n fat, if u have nothing but those to feed him right now I think it'd be okay, but with the fat levels being pretty low he'd end up losing weight and probably get sick from losing that much water daily, I wouldn't go more than a week with just the hornworms, roaches and BSFL are the "best" for overallness that I've found, crickets are good but they are a really dirty feeder so I can't particularly recommend them...

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Website I looked at said 80% moisture and the rest protein n fat, if u have nothing but those to feed him right now I think it'd be okay, but with the fat levels being pretty low he'd end up losing weight and probably get sick from losing that much water daily, I wouldn't go more than a week with just the hornworms, roaches and BSFL are the "best" for overallness that I've found, crickets are good but they are a really dirty feeder so I can't particularly recommend them...
Ok thanks for the advice. I just got some BSFL and mealworms. Will add those in. The blueworms definitely helped her poop for sure.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ok thanks for the advice. I just got some BSFL and mealworms. Will add those in. The blueworms definitely helped her poop for sure.
If ur noticing bug exoskeleton from the meal worms in his stool u may need to back off those, some people say younger beardies can't handle mealworms in their digestive track, so just be cautious and watch for bug bits, I fed my beardie mealworms when she was around the 4-7 months so I think u should be okay, and no need to dust th BSFL they come hopped up on calcium btw. If you have anymore questions please do ask :)

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
If ur noticing bug exoskeleton from the meal worms in his stool u may need to back off those, some people say younger beardies can't handle mealworms in their digestive track, so just be cautious and watch for bug bits, I fed my beardie mealworms when she was around the 4-7 months so I think u should be okay, and no need to dust th BSFL they come hopped up on calcium btw. If you have anymore questions please do ask :)
Thanks! Haven’t noticed anything like it in her poop. She doesn’t like to drink water except through eating her greens. But the blueworms really got her to poop better. Where do you order the worms? So far I’ve been ordering them from Amazon. Looks like Fluker’s farm is also a popular choice.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi,
I just got some small-medium size blue hornworms. How much should I feed a 6 month old beardie?
Thanks,
Cynthia
Hi CYGBEARDIE,
Congrats on your beardie. We Rescue & Rehome. Your beardie should be feed "3" times per day the proteins alognside a plate of Veggies/Greens to munch on throughout the day; diced up to size. If you dont do the fresh plate of veggies/greens now he will NEVER eat them as he gets older. Best to do a fresh plate in teh AM & anotehr midday. Cuz after he turns a year old you are fededing proteins once per day; like 10-15 large crickets per day or 6-7 superworms or a mix of dubias & Crickets. The best proteins for a Beardie under "1" year of age are: Crickets & Dubia Roaches & he shoud be fed 3times per day till hes 8mnths or so old then go down to "2" Protein feedings per day. They need lots of proteins so like 20-25 crickets &/Or dubias per feeding. Mealworms are horrible for them & it impacts them & the BLUE WORMS are called "HornWorms" those should only be fed after a Beardie turns over "1" year old; their digestive tract cant handle them prior to a year old & they are very high in Fat so should be fed as treats 2/week or a few per month. You can add superworms after "1" year old as well in addition to the crickets/dubias but they are high in fat too; but good protein feeders. For the Greens/Veggies: The best everyday ones are: Mustard/collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash, butternut squash, snap peas, & green beans. As treats a few times a week some blueberries, papayas and mangoes. Also, as far as pooping; if you have a sand substrate; REMOVE it, they ingest it and it impacts them. Aslo, if the temps are off, she will barely eat/poop and mealworms will impact them too, The best substrate are: White terry cloth towels & remember the Temp should be 100-105 when she turns 10-11mnths old the temp should be 95-100 (Adult Temp). They need "2" hours to digest their food so the last feeding keep lights on for "2" hours & feed them in the morning after they have been basking for a few hours. For now; Stop the mealworms give him a few baths per week always in lukewarm, dechlorinated water for 15 min minimum & rub his tummy gently downwards to get all the mealworms out and back on track for a healthy tummy/regular pooping schedule. If you don't have a filter sustem, buy REPTISAFE, it removes the cholrine; chlorine dries out their skin & is bad for them. GLuck

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks! Haven’t noticed anything like it in her poop. She doesn’t like to drink water except through eating her greens. But the blueworms really got her to poop better. Where do you order the worms? So far I’ve been ordering them from Amazon. Looks like Fluker’s farm is also a popular choice.
I get my hornworms from -greatlakeshornworm.com- they usually send more worms than advertised (cause some always die) so I always get a bonus 1-5 worms ,it's the best deal I've found , usually hornworms are around 1-2$ each,

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi CYGBEARDIE,
Congrats on your beardie. We Rescue & Rehome. Your beardie should be feed "3" times per day the proteins alognside a plate of Veggies/Greens to munch on throughout the day; diced up to size. If you dont do the fresh plate of veggies/greens now he will NEVER eat them as he gets older. Best to do a fresh plate in teh AM & anotehr midday. Cuz after he turns a year old you are fededing proteins once per day; like 10-15 large crickets per day or 6-7 superworms or a mix of dubias & Crickets. The best proteins for a Beardie under "1" year of age are: Crickets & Dubia Roaches & he shoud be fed 3times per day till hes 8mnths or so old then go down to "2" Protein feedings per day. They need lots of proteins so like 20-25 crickets &/Or dubias per feeding. Mealworms are horrible for them & it impacts them & the BLUE WORMS are called "HornWorms" those should only be fed after a Beardie turns over "1" year old; their digestive tract cant handle them prior to a year old & they are very high in Fat so should be fed as treats 2/week or a few per month. You can add superworms after "1" year old as well in addition to the crickets/dubias but they are high in fat too; but good protein feeders. For the Greens/Veggies: The best everyday ones are: Mustard/collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash, butternut squash, snap peas, & green beans. As treats a few times a week some blueberries, papayas and mangoes. Also, as far as pooping; if you have a sand substrate; REMOVE it, they ingest it and it impacts them. Aslo, if the temps are off, she will barely eat/poop and mealworms will impact them too, The best substrate are: White terry cloth towels & remember the Temp should be 100-105 when she turns 10-11mnths old the temp should be 95-100 (Adult Temp). They need "2" hours to digest their food so the last feeding keep lights on for "2" hours & feed them in the morning after they have been basking for a few hours. For now; Stop the mealworms give him a few baths per week always in lukewarm, dechlorinated water for 15 min minimum & rub his tummy gently downwards to get all the mealworms out and back on track for a healthy tummy/regular pooping schedule. If you don't have a filter sustem, buy REPTISAFE, it removes the cholrine; chlorine dries out their skin & is bad for them. GLuck
Everything I've read says hornworms have less than 10% fat , (of course what they're being fed has a major factor in that) but far as the 3 websites I looked at all of them said 80% moisture and the rest protein n fat.

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Hi CYGBEARDIE,
Thanks for the in-depth recommendation. We’re in good shape in terms of substrate and tank set up so that’s good. Kale and mustard greens are her routine veggies. Last time she was a bit impacted after changing into a new tank, I gave her warm bath daily and it worked well. She doesn’t like to drink water even during bath, so I have to use a tube to drop water on her head for her to drink.

Kayumbo115

Bearded Dragon Egg
I get my hornworms from -greatlakeshornworm.com- they usually send more worms than advertised (cause some always die) so I always get a bonus 1-5 worms ,it's the best deal I've found , usually hornworms are around 1-2$ each,
I just placed my 1st order from Dubiaroaches.com. prices and quality were great. Got 100 5/8 dubias and (more than) 24 hornworms for like $35. They were at my front door in 2 days.

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
I just placed my 1st order from Dubiaroaches.com. prices and quality were great. Got 100 5/8 dubias and (more than) 24 hornworms for like $35. They were at my front door in 2 days.
Wow that’s really the best price I’ve ever seen! Thanks for recommending. Definitely will give it a try! How did you order 100 Dubia? I can only choose 50 max from the drop down menu. Also how many do you feed your beardie Dubia roaches per day? Mine is about 6 months old, 16” long.

Kayumbo115

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow that’s really the best price I’ve ever seen! Thanks for recommending. Definitely will give it a try! How did you order 100 Dubia? I can only choose 50 max from the drop down menu. Also how many do you feed your beardie Dubia roaches per day? Mine is about 6 months old, 16” long.
I had 2 containers of 50 delivered. "Bill" gets about 15 dubia and a plate of veggies per day. If he eats his veggies I reward with a few hornworms. I'm not sure how old Bill is, but we got him in December as a baby, not a hatchling. He's about 10"-11" and 55g.