• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

blocked sides?

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am wondering if it's "necessary" to have the sides blocked so they can only see out the front. or is this something that is a preference?
we seem to be doing well without having the sides blacked out or covered. She often watches us out the sides.
I imagine it's alot to do with the personality and attitude of each dragon individually, but i just wondered what the general thoughts are.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
mine can see out of his side of tank we have a background pic on the back we have a 55 gallon fish tank on one side of the tank with fish in he likes to sit on basking rock and watch the fish swim

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the only reason i have ever blocked side views is if they can see another dragon. ive never had a problem with them seeing their own reflection. my guys are nosey and like to watch whats going on in their surroundings. dragons will glass dance as juvies wether you cover the sides or not. they just want out. in the wild they can go where they want when they want.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks! just wanted to clarify. thought maybe there was some info that i was missing! LOL ~ mine is very snoopy and likes to watch Everything that's going on.

CitrusStoli

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I just got a hypo citrus male, and he's probably about 6-7 inches, and he's in a 20gal glass tank for the time being,but he could see his reflection and it's making him a little on edge. He was trying to run up the walls. I have paper blocking the sides currently, and he's calmed down some. Any suggestions, or would some aquarium paper backing be the only route.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Due to the amount of dragons I own I have 3 sides blocked and the front open. This way they cant see the other dragons. I also tend to do this with baby dragons to reduce relocation stress.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Due to the amount of dragons I own I have 3 sides blocked and the front open. This way they cant see the other dragons. I also tend to do this with baby dragons to reduce relocation stress.[/quoteWhen you cover the sides do you put the paper on the inside of the tank? I am guessing if you are trying to prevent a reflection this would be the logical way otherwise you would be turning the glass into a mirror. But if it's on the inside can't the beardies tear it up and eat it? I am just curious as we are getting a glass tank in a few weeks and removing Scarlet from her Cham enclosure. She has always been in the mesh and I am afraid the glass might freak her out. Any suggestions? And will you be at the expo in Baltimore for sure? You never got back to me on that. If so do you sell tanks?

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When we got one of our rescues he came in a glass tank. I got cork tiles and glues them to 3 sides on the inside of the enclosure. Before I did that the little guy was very jumpy. He really didnt settle down until we got him his viv with the front access as he hates being reached from above. even when we have him out we have to get down to his level on the floor to get him back inside again. He is much better now tho :)

CitrusStoli

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I hadn't even thought of that, although he doesn't seem to upset about being reached in on, I'm sure it's a bit stressful for him. I will have to keep that in mind. I have the boa masters cage for beardies, and it's an open top, unfortunately I have my tegu in it, and he needs the humidity, and I know the beardies really don't.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
This is 3 of our vivs that we use at the moment, but we are getting ready to build our own soon.
Dusty leg update 015.JPG

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
This is 3 of our vivs that we use at the moment, but we are getting ready to build our own soon.
View attachment 772
NICE!!!! I do have some questions. As far as your substrate, what is it. I have heard not to use anything that could be ingested? The stuff you have in there almost looks like gravel or kitty litter??? And the other question is plants. I have heard not to put any in there at all as the beardies do not know the dif between real and fake and decore and food and will try to eat them. What are your thoughts?

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
NICE!!!! I do have some questions. As far as your substrate, what is it. I have heard not to use anything that could be ingested? The stuff you have in there almost looks like gravel or kitty litter??? And the other question is plants. I have heard not to put any in there at all as the beardies do not know the dif between real and fake and decore and food and will try to eat them. What are your thoughts?
It is porridge Oats that I use, this was recommended to me by the guy I get my food from & also the BD breeder he uses. They really dont eat it at all, but if it does get eaten they are able to digest it. Mine havent tried to eat any of the plants, they use them to climb on, and the boy in the middle one liked to hide under the plants on his platform when he is sleeping. Hope this helps you :)