• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black Stretch Marks On Belly

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
What are the black lines/stretch mark like things on my beardie's belly out of curiosity? they seem to go really dark to really light, and are darker in the morning when the temps are cooler.

She is digging a lot and is aged between 12-14 months, could she be egg cycling?
-Regards,
Em

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The lines sometimes inaccurately called 'Stress Marks' (Although it can be one of the reasons for them to darken, it is not the main or only one) are common on many BDs. While I am not entirely sure of the reasoning behind them, they are quite common, more accentuated on some than others, yet, not at all on others. Can be affected, as you mentioned by temperature, mood, stress, lighting, etc to appear & disappear, lighten & darken & all BDs don't have them. I believe they are different markings, similar to different BDs having more distinct markings on their back, that are more prominent at different times, also affected by similar things.

Mine will periodically go on digging, wall/glass dancing sprees for no particular reason, I think it gives them some good/needed exercise ;). Some BDs just like to periodically dig around, 2 of mine do, more so than the others.

That being said, she is at the age where it is quite possible that she may want to lay. Has she gained weight recently, more quickly than usual? Infertile eggs can be difficult, if not impossible to see or feel in a lot of females.

What season is it where you live?