• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

black scales and scab(?) on another dragon

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
so posted a week ago about my brothers girlfriends dragon having a dark patch of weird scales on his head. Well, now Lané, my dragon has a patch just like that on his front leg and some on his tail. Except with Lané I was able to pick some of the scales off on his leg but its not like a shed where there are clean scales underneath. It almost looks like a sore. And the patches on his tail look like they are scabbing a bit. They wont peel off and they just don't look like a bad shed.

I wonder, since we are in central Texas, we have fire ants. And I just wonder if they got bit by them. I didn't think ants could really hurt them through the scales but fire ants down here are intense. And I've found a couple curled up and attached to the dragons. Didn't seem to bother them and the ants are dead when found. But if its not ants I worry something spread from her dragon to mine. And if it is ants, ill need to keep my dragons inside the rest of the summer.

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
pictures of his tail and arm after the scales came off

Attachments

• WP_20150806_001.jpg
    WP_20150806_001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
  • WP_20150806_004.jpg
    WP_20150806_004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • WP_20150806_006.jpg
    WP_20150806_006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 222

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Do the two dragons interact with each other?

Not sure what it is but YF isn't always yellow, it can be dark and scaby. YF is contagious so that's why I asked if they've been around each other.

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
they don't interact directly, but they both use the same outdoor enclosure at different times. Its a 10 foot by 6 foot planted enclosure with a pool, shaded area and basking sites. I've found lané in some of the same places out there as the other dragon. But we also had an ant hill out there that we just recently took out.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How's it looking today? Does it look like it's spread any?

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
does not look likes its spread. Its looking the same. But he is not even moving the whole day. He wakes up, but stays in the corner all day until I move him to his basking spot. And eats then. Otherwise he doesn't even move or eat. He is awake but does not do anything.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You could try cleaning the area with some diluted betadine. If it is ant bites it will help clean the area.

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
I've given him baths but ill try the betadine. I used it when my skink got mites. Hopefully that is all it is. The other dragon cleared up, so hopefully its nothing like YF.