• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black Poop

Maize

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone!

My Male Beardie Aragon has been a big pain in my butt since I got him, but that's why we love them right!?

He has been off food for a little more than a week now, use to eat like a champ, while munching on his greens\butternut squash he would polish off some 15 Superworms! He was eating so well he hit the 550g mark and he isn’t even a year old yet! I was afraid that he may have parasites so I decided to give him a cycle of Panacur and then ProBiotics about a month ago. The ProBiotics should have helped his hunger get back into gear like it did with my female but so far no good. So then I decided to get some liquid B12 and Liquid Calcium, still nothing. I remembered that he loved the Hornworms, so I decided to get them for him hoping that it would entice his hunger. Well it worked for one worm and that's it.

This morning when I woke up I noticed there was a little poop that he left for me. Well when I started to clean; I noticed that it was practically black in color. I have never come across this, and hoping that it's not blood in his stool.

He isn’t drinking on his own like most beardies, but I try to get as much liques into him as possible daily. Sometimes I’m even able to get 3-4cc of water mixed with B12, Calcium and ProBiotics.

I'm going away for 10 days on vacation and hoping that he does well while I'm gone. I am worried and wondering what everyone thinks.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Have you had a fecal done? One of mine is on albon now with the probiatic to ease the stomach and he is not eating yet either. I was told that some med take there hunger away. Also I was told to give long soaks every day so he does not dehydrate. Boogie is 559 grams and I weight him every other day to keep track of any weight loss. Mine has too much coccidia. (sp?) I have no way of knowing how experienced you are but I would have a vet check up.

On the poo, was it dried and that color, or wet and if possible can you post a picture if he does it again?

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Boogiesmom said:
Have you had a fecal done? One of mine is on albon now with the probiatic to ease the stomach and he is not eating yet either.

I sent you a private message. :)

Maize

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Boogiesmom....

Is Albon better then what I have (PanaCure)? Where do you get the Albon? I got my Panacure and ProBiotics from www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com (great site)! I didnt get a fecal test done, I just automatically started to give him a cycle of Panacure because of his sysmptoms. My female (seperate tank) had coccidia awhile back and was cleared up by the Panacure.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My herb vet gave me the meds. I was told that pancur is for pin worms. Madisyn mentioned that there was an alternative to albon and I called my vet and left a message. So like you I would like any input on this. For me having the fecal done before meds makes me feel a little more secure and then I like back up from the forum. I am also on another forum and thankfully they told be to add the probiotics as well. Boogies only real symptom is he would not really eat much except one or two silks a day so that is why I took him to the vet. He was a real piggy but he is around a year old and was not sure if it was some sort of adjustment into adulthood.

Maize

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Boogiesmom said:
My herb vet gave me the meds. I was told that pancur is for pin worms. Madisyn mentioned that there was an alternative to albon and I called my vet and left a message. So like you I would like any input on this. For me having the fecal done before meds makes me feel a little more secure and then I like back up from the forum. I am also on another forum and thankfully they told be to add the probiotics as well. Boogies only real symptom is he would not really eat much except one or two silks a day so that is why I took him to the vet. He was a real piggy but he is around a year old and was not sure if it was some sort of adjustment into adulthood.

What is the Albon actually for?

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My vet prescribed Albon for really high coccidia. Whether it is used for anything else I do not know.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He has been off food for a little more than a week now, use to eat like a champ, while munching on his greens\butternut squash he would polish off some 15 Superworms! He was eating so well he hit the 550g mark and he isn’t even a year old yet! I was afraid that he may have parasites so I decided to give him a cycle of Panacur and then ProBiotics about a month ago. The ProBiotics should have helped his hunger get back into gear like it did with my female but so far no good. So then I decided to get some liquid B12 and Liquid Calcium, still nothing. I remembered that he loved the Hornworms, so I decided to get them for him hoping that it would entice his hunger. Well it worked for one worm and that's it.

I would most likely run the fecal, however, I don't think your problem is parasites.

I would consider stopping the treatment of problems that aren't verified (panacur, probiotics, B12, Cal glub). All these things will greatly affect the solidity, color and formation of stool, as well as the entire system. For each added thing you give him, you chance a reprocussion. Not that those things aren't needed at times, but other times, they aren't needed and cause more than they help.
Panacur generally has no side effects, however, too much when it's not needed can cause the opposite of what you seek. Probiotics are both good and bad. Gut flora is a balance. Both good and bad. Too much bad and the balance is off, too much good and the balance is off. B12 is good for many things, but can also have it's drawbacks. It will change the color of stool. Calcium glub (liquid calcium) will harden urates, dehydrate if used improperly and if it's not used to restore a "vet monitored level" can cause an overdose factor.

I believe if you run the fecal, and get that answer, the rest will work it's self out.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm in agreement with LadyKnight. Get the fecal test ran and see what those results are before trying to self-diagnose.