• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

black light reptile night bulb

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, something that I've learned with bearded dragon care is that there are varying opinions and there are exceptions to the majority.

I've heard that black lights can interfere with their sleep too. That dragons need complete darkness to rest properly. We used a black light when Bernie was young, but stopped after a couple of months old and used a ceramic heat emitter.

How old are your dragons?

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Morning Dragon,
I have been using 50 watt blacklights in the winter months for about 6 years now. Knock on wood I have had no issues and when the pooper sleeps its asleep..lol It doesnt care if the black light comes on or the dinning room light. Remember in this hooby there are alot of people with strong opinions on how things SHOULD be done. unfortunatly some of these people may have been given poor info. As long as the basic needs of the dragon are met, the rest is just fluff and eye candy for us.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally i dont use them but i know people that do. I do not think (IMO) that the blacklight bulbs would effect sleep much as the light is not much different from star light. The thing that most people are talking about when saying lighting can affect sleep patterns is bright red bulbs. I prefer a CHE but that is my choice and by no means is it the only option. Basically take your cues from your dragon. If it is keeping him awake than you may want to remove it. If not then i wouldnt worry much

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As with most things, part of keeping dragons, and learning is the ability to try some things for yourself. Afterall, you're the one that sees your dragon daily and should notice any odd behavior.

Personally, I've used black lights, che's, uth's attached to the back of tanks (not the bottom) and many different things for heat at night depending on where i lived. I found that a few dragons didn't care for the "buzz" all flo tubes seem to have, but other than that, never paid attention to the bulb its self. I like CHE's..........but they too have drawbacks.

I'm glad to see you noted the affect of the red light vs. the black light. Perceptive. Seems like you have a pretty good head about you.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
DragonMom said:
...I guess the PM from that person irritated me a little, it seemed a little condescending and "know-it-all" the way it was written. I politely responded that I had used for years with no problem. Thanks All!

Some people can be very opinionated when it comes to caring for anything. I know that my mom and I have gone rounds about choices my hubby and I have made regarding the care of our sons. And when it comes to bearded dragon care, people are just as opinionated.

I would try and let it roll off you. One thing that I am striving to achieve with this forum is open communication. Some items regarding bearded dragon care are totally not correct, but some things are a matter of personal choice. I hope you find that to be true as your time with us increases.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Great post Renee!

Tom,

I think you said it perfectly.

You can achieve anything as long as you cover the basics. It doesn't matter if its a white light, or red, or black. What the dragon is searching for is darkness and cool temps. As long as you provide areas of darkness (hides), in a cool area, it doesn't matter what light is on.

Really, you could keep all lights and temps constant (24/7) as long as all the micro-climates that a beardie uses, is usable inside the enclosure, at all times. It would take some thinking and a good understanding of how a beardie uses temps, humidity, and hides, behaviorally..... but still do-able :) Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud :)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We try to be pretty open. In the almost 30 years that I've done this.....it would be a bold faced lie to say i hadn't tried this or that. I remember when we made the upgrade to the repti sun 5.0 and thought it was the greatest thing in the world. That's just part of learning, and part of advancement. If there is one thing i have learned in all this time.............its that this hobby never stops moving forward in some aspects.

I feel it's an important aspect to KNOW your animal before you stray away from the basics, but once you feel comfortable with that, to explore a little to make his life more rounded and to open up new possibilities is an asset. I also think it's important to write things down. You'ld be amazed what you won't remember in 6 months because it seems so small and insignifigant right now.

Glad you like it here. Looking forward to sharing more.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thats a great idea. i am always typing up this and that. but man i really should keep like a journal in the beardie room of lil things that could end up being important later. lol i seriously would have not thought of that.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it's really a great asset Brian. It's helped me resolve one thing or another from time to time. It's helped me pinpoint the source of parasites before by knowing what bugs from what supplier I was using. It's also helped me in deciding if certian products were worth continuing or not.

not to mention i can tell you how much my babies weighed from the time they were hatched, till the day they left me, whose clutch it was, and which number. There's nothing like getting the picture of that 700 gram cross you hatched 3 years ago and looking back on those records.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
DragonMom said:
I do keep a little notebook that I jot things down in. I got my girls when they were 4 weeks old, (which, after having cared for such small dragons irritates me that there are breeders out there selling them this small and young) I knew they were going to need extra care, so right away I started jotting little notes about what I was doing that was working or not working, how much they were eating, measurements, baths, etc..) With my first dragon, I jotted down a few things here and there as well. I keep that notebook with my "go to book and research" for reference. If I start breeding, which I am researching and considering (thanks for the article on the main page Brian, some I knew, so I didn't-a lot of food for thought and consideration. Very well written and a wealth of knowledge!). I plan to keep detailed records as I think they will become invaluable. Thanks again for making me feel welcome.

P.S. Brian, I checked out your web site, beautiful adults you've got there. Where's the babies? Can't help but look a babies!

i need to get my wife to update the site i just havent really sat down and gotten her the pics and what not to do it with lol.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Best give him until the weekend... I know Brian's work schedule... hectic !
Janie.