• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black dots on neck

stijngh

Hatchling Dragon
Hey all,

My beardie seems to have some small black dots on his neck. Is this something to worry about or not?
He is not showing any complaints or whatsoever but I'm just curious. Lighting etc. is all OK.

Attachments

• 2015-05-31 18.38.49.jpg
    2015-05-31 18.38.49.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 576

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A couple of thoughts – have you given him a soak lately? Are they moving? Are they multiplying? Are they getting larger?

stijngh

Hatchling Dragon
I do give him a wash every 1/2 times a week (without soap).

But I figured out it are not just black dots, but actually small living creatures... My best guess are... Mites...

This is not good, since the tank and substrate are not even 2 months in use... So I'm going to give his tank a(nother) good clean (used to do this every 2 weeks already, with bacteria remover etc.) and remove the loose substrate with only the carpet. Right now I'm using the carpet on top of the loose substrate (whilst I was planning on removing the carpet since it is already falling apart and not even 1 month in use due to constantly cleaning his poo... I absolutely hate this carpet...).
Afterwards I'm going to clean all his "furniture" again and give my beardie a few other good cleanups...

This sucks since I don't even have him for 2 months...

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
tough row ! so sorry - i promise - it's not always like this! I've not had a single problem with either of mine since i got them. Zoo med makes a product called MITE OFF. Here is some info from another site : (can't vouch for this, cuz i've never had to try it - anyone else can help ??)

MITE OFF from Zoo Med. Its in herp stores and on line. about 11 bucks a bottle. First : Remove dragon from environment and spray him with Mite Off.. To do his face spray your finger or cloth with spray and rub on face.. Do not get in eyes! place dragon in sterile tub or new enclosure- Now Second: Remove ALL substrate and enclosure items. Immediately throw away bedding and easily replaced items. Bleach soak any ceramic, rocks etc..rinse very well after a few hours of soaking and place in oven for up to two hours at 200 degrees--make SURE TO MONITOR ITEMS!!!! (You can do this with wood too but better to replace instead). THird: decontaminate cage with bleach or vinegar solution. Include areas where you let dragon hang out! If bleach or vinegar cant be used , use the MITE OFF in the enclosure as directed. (Mite off did not burn my claw-torn skin when I applied to reptiles) . Lastly: Replace new/cleaned/sterilized things back in enclosure with dragon. Make sure water provided is just big enough to drink out of for a few days. By day 3 there should be no reappearance unless you didnt decontaminate properly. Can retreat/repeat at third day if nessisary.

stijngh

Hatchling Dragon
Well that gives me something to do this weekend. I'll do everything you told me for my beardie's sake. Thank you!

How harmful are mites actually?

stijngh

Hatchling Dragon
http://www.wbeph.com/reptiles/eliminating-snakes-mites-lizard-mites/

This tells me to replace all of his wooden furniture. Which leaves me to the following question: can I just replace my current branch with a new one from my backyard or does it HAVE to be a "special" one from the (very dusty, unclean, nasty) not-so-local reptile store which cost a lot more than they are worth? (And I'm 99% sure that the mites came from the store.)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you use backyard branches-bleach and bake. I probably wouldnt bleach (not so very fond of chemicals) but bake it fer shur! I thjnk 250 for a couple hrs is what is recommended.

Mites bite, cause irritation and possibly infection. They can get unercthe scaless and becraally uncomfortable

stijngh

Hatchling Dragon
OK. Well I was afraid of "baking" the wood (is it not too dangerous?) but it looks like it needs to be done anyways so I might just stick with his current furniture (after baking it).

I did already remove 10+ mites from his skin but I do see some more. However they apparently evolve to a couple thousands very easily so... The future seems to be not on our side :(

I'm afraid taking him to the vet for better expertise and treatment might get too expensive :( :confused:

stijngh

Hatchling Dragon
Latest update:
  1. I washed all of his furniture in a boiling hot tub and "cooked" it afterwards. I completely washed his environment and sprayed it with anti-bacteria (like I used to) (Wipe Out 1 http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...7czoxOiIwIjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF95IjtzOjE6IjAiO30=).
  2. I washed my bearded dragon.
  3. I removed "all" the visible black mites/dots from my dragon.
  4. I "sprayed" and handled my dragon with the same anti-bacteria (Wipe Out 1).
However... It looks like it was all "for nothing" because they keep coming back every few days. So I keep bathing him every few days and remove all the "new" mites (10 - 20 including in his eyelids and ears) but I can't keep doing this forever... I have a full-time job and I'm tired when I get home... The other problem is that it is impossible to get the mites from under his scales...

I'm helpless and I'm afraid the vet can't do much more. :( :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Okay, take a step back and breathe for a minute. Think about all the good things that you love about your bearded dragon and tell yourself this is just one incidence and you can get through it. I know you are exhausted but when we decided to bring these beautiful creatures into our home, we knew we had to take care of them through the ups and downs. I have a full time job too and I have 2 bearded dragons a chameleon, 5 frogs and 2 cats. Some mornings I don't get to eat breakfast before work and sometimes I don't get to make dinner until real late. There's always a the chance of a curve ball being thrown our way but we can get through it.

I found this article online that might be helpful. They suggest Betadine baths, it will help kill the mites and treat the bites.
http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html They like warm wet places so when you do give baths make sure you dry the belly and the fat folds under the legs and under the chin real good. The problem with any parasite is you have to kill the visible ones, then the eggs they laid hatch and then you have to kill those. It's a process that unfortunately can take weeks.

You can do this.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Take all of the furniture out – at least until you get this under control. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this and – I totally second what Patsy B said

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ya, it happens to us all at one time or another. You should try getting rid of them when you have dozens of reptiles and cages! Now that's a pain in the ...

Anyway, here is what works the best in most people's opinion.

http://pro-products.com/provent-a-mite/

Mites have a pretty short life, and reproduce quickly. They come back every couple of days as that is about how long it takes the eggs to hatch. If you get rid of them for about two weeks then you are golden. Oddly, female mites are genetically programmed to move up to lay, so pay careful attention to spraying everything at the top of the enclosure too. Take out any water dish if you have one, but otherwise just spray it on.