• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bioactive terrarium

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
So I've seen several videos on setting up a bioactive enclosure. They look nice and I wouldn't mind trying to make a "natural" looking environment. What I'm wondering is if it is worth the effort, time, and cost to setup.

DragonM0M

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think that any effort made to create a more natural or more realistic environment for any animal is definitely worth the effort and money. But I may be ignorant with this statement because I don't have a bioactive tank yet since my dragon is still a juvenile, so I don't know all of the work that goes into it. I plan on creating a bioactive tank once my dragon is older and more established with feeding, routines, and of course once he's more comfortable with us. I would love to see your tank if you decide to do this! Please post updates if you do. :)

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
I think that any effort made to create a more natural or more realistic environment for any animal is definitely worth the effort and money. But I may be ignorant with this statement because I don't have a bioactive tank yet since my dragon is still a juvenile, so I don't know all of the work that goes into it. I plan on creating a bioactive tank once my dragon is older and more established with feeding, routines, and of course once he's more comfortable with us. I would love to see your tank if you decide to do this! Please post updates if you do. :)
Yeah I'm still on the fence with this because of housing live plants, clean up, and having to deal with raised humidity levels. The videos I've seen they look amazing and I was envisioning building the enclosure to look like something you would see at a zoo. I've got time to mull it over but I might not go that direction simply because of clean up. Either way you go clean up is still something you have to do so it almost seems pointless to me to put in the effort.

Beardie Lover

Juvenile Dragon
I was going to build a bioactive setup. It is very hard to keep the plants alive especially when my dragon would eat and trample it all. I also worried about the humidity. To high of a humidity can give a beardie a respiratory infection. So instead I made a small barrier and did a half solid half loose substrate tank. As the divider I just used some CLEAN rocks. It works great. My beardie can dig if she wants. If you did want live plants I would recommend putting them in a pot so that your beardie can’t get to them as easy and it is a lot easier to manage the humidity levels. I will add some pics of my tank. Feel free to ask more questions if u need too.

also please ignore my lighting. I am still working on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 40

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
I was going to build a bioactive setup. It is very hard to keep the plants alive especially when my dragon would eat and trample it all. I also worried about the humidity. To high of a humidity can give a beardie a respiratory infection. So instead I made a small barrier and did a half solid half loose substrate tank. As the divider I just used some CLEAN rocks. It works great. My beardie can dig if she wants. If you did want live plants I would recommend putting them in a pot so that your beardie can’t get to them as easy and it is a lot easier to manage the humidity levels. I will add some pics of my tank. Feel free to ask more questions if u need too.

Looks good and if I do a bioactive this is kind of the direction I would want to go in. Have the hot side as dry as possible and the cold side with plants, preferably desert plants that wouldn't require constant watering. Im wanting to have about a 4 foot by 2 foot enclosure so I would have some wiggle room.

DragonM0M

Bearded Dragon Egg

What size is your tank? It looks small for an adult dragon.

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
What is a bioactive enclosure? Sorry..I'm fairly new at this! :) and can you post pics if you have some?? Thx!
It's basically a small ecosystem. If you've ever had a fish tank then it is similar to the bacteria cycle you would have to help clean up waste. You would have substrate, plants, isopods, worms, etc., as your clean up crew to help break down any of the waste and also provides an occasional snack for whatever you are housing. This is a similar result that you would typically see in a reptile exhibit or zoo. I don't have any experience with this type of setup but have seen a lot of videos and images and they look amazing.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You dont need plants, just bugs moving the substrate around, bearded dragons don’t respect plants, u still need to clean up poo, its definitely worth it in my opinion, my dragons been in hers for a year now, still nice and clean, I’ll change out her substrate maybe next year, i dont want to loose the bugs that have been borne into it… me and wicked have the most thorough bioactives on this site, other people have them (and no disrespect towards them, but they’re kinda bare bones) im missing plants so i cant talk too much lol, if u have any questions please do ask :)

Attachments

• 7608AB21-C44D-4FB4-8160-C8413A723A34.jpeg
    7608AB21-C44D-4FB4-8160-C8413A723A34.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 330184DD-4CDD-49B8-9831-2483A8C4E530.jpeg
    330184DD-4CDD-49B8-9831-2483A8C4E530.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 33

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
oooh thats a beautiful setup!! I'm ordering Mikey a 120g Thursday (payday lol) he's gunna say bye to the 40 since he's growing like a weed! Any ideas are appreciated! I love this setup tho..sand on 1 side/chips on other. Only thing is Mikey tries to eat everything!! He would definitely try to eat woodchuck and/or rocks..:( LOL

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
oooh thats a beautiful setup!! I'm ordering Mikey a 120g Thursday (payday lol) he's gunna say bye to the 40 since he's growing like a weed! Any ideas are appreciated! I love this setup tho..sand on 1 side/chips on other. Only thing is Mikey tries to eat everything!! He would definitely try to eat woodchuck and/or rocks..:( LOL
*woodchips

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You dont need plants, just bugs moving the substrate around, bearded dragons don’t respect plants, u still need to clean up poo, its definitely worth it in my opinion, my dragons been in hers for a year now, still nice and clean, I’ll change out her substrate maybe next year, i dont want to loose the bugs that have been borne into it… me and wicked have the most thorough bioactives on this site, other people have them (and no disrespect towards them, but they’re kinda bare bones) im missing plants so i cant talk too much lol, if u have any questions please do ask :)
Without plants your soil will become toxic after so long and all your Clean up crew will eventually die. Plants are what removes the nitrates out of the soil . Thhe ants even break down clean up crews waste even further

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Without plants your soil will become toxic after so long and all your Clean up crew will eventually die. Plants are what removes the nitrates out of the soil . Thhe ants even break down clean up crews waste even further I've had these same plants in there for over a year the main problem is not using plants sturdy enough for the bearded wrath as well as having a good enough substrate to maintain a very good moist layer . Plants do best on a set water schedule as why I use a mist king

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_194429575.jpg
    IMG_20211030_194429575.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20211030_194440907_MP.jpg
    IMG_20211030_194440907_MP.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 23

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It is true without plants your bio active will fail springtails nurture the roots of the plants and form a symbiotic relationship as well as other beneficial bacteria plants convert nitrate into ammonia and it keeps going into a long cycle without plans the story will become full of bad nitrates and eventually all your clean up crew will die

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Without plants your soil will become toxic after so long and all your Clean up crew will eventually die. Plants are what removes the nitrates out of the soil . Thhe ants even break down clean up crews waste even further
I would have plants , but My dragon doesn’t even live in her enclosure :( its a glorified set piece tbh, only sleeps eats and sometimes poops in it, she gets full roam of our screened in porch during the day, and my soil is very arid so it cant get toxic it only gets moisture every other month, its only 4 inches at its highest point , and its been like this for a year now and all the bugs are still alive, thank you for the advice though.

Attachments

• DB547178-01AC-4D88-B850-59A0B7612EEA.jpeg
    DB547178-01AC-4D88-B850-59A0B7612EEA.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 5597B98D-06B5-4830-A3AA-8CB1C93035B2.jpeg
    5597B98D-06B5-4830-A3AA-8CB1C93035B2.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 0C4A3629-8A55-4657-A0C7-D922A8D7D2F8.jpeg
    0C4A3629-8A55-4657-A0C7-D922A8D7D2F8.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 64BA318A-5FA7-4877-BEF4-A69E3F58FDD8.jpeg
    64BA318A-5FA7-4877-BEF4-A69E3F58FDD8.jpeg