• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Betadine on open wound

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello everyone so my dragon just had a little bit tail rot and the rot has fallen off but left a little scab. Don’t know what happened but today I noticed some dried blood around it and saw that the scab was half falling off and there was fresh blood underneath. She’s on antibiotics and her whole tank is clean, I do want to give her a betadine bath to stop any further infections or anything I’m just worried that it may not be healthy for her if it’s freshly bleeding. Any suggestions on what to do?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Call your vet and ask them maybe?

Don't do anything until someone responds who is experienced with something like this, as this has never happened to me.

Toad Ranch

Bearded Dragon Egg
Don't use full strength betadyne. water it down preferably with distilled water to a tea color. Doesn't sound like it necessarily needs attention, maybe clean just the tail and keep the tank clean.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can use some raw unpasteurized honey like manuka- it's a good antibacterial and will kill any infection just make sure there are no crickets left in the tank they will go straight for the tail

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ok perfect I will get the honey and no worries about the crickets Cleo is old and spoiled and likes to be tong fed