• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

best substrate for burrowing

aypckc

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi there! i have a 4 month old beardie and she’s really wanting to start burrowing. i made up a substrate of play sand, top soil, and coconut fibre and she loves it. one problem is she licks it to navigate her tank and i’m wondering if it’ll cause impaction. it can hold its shape when molded and can be formed. just looking for help if this isn’t right or if anyone has any suggestions to other safe substrates for burrowing. i’m looking into excavator clay but it doesn’t seem to be for burrowing but for making burrows for your lizard. thanks!

DragonM0M

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've seen most places recommend not introducing loose substrate until your dragon is over 6 months old, ideally closer to 9 months old. You're off to a good start with mixing the play sand and soil (just make sure the soil is organic with no pesticides or chemicals), but as far as I knew coconut fiber is a no go as it is known for causing impactions. Make sure you're not feeding your dragon in the tank if you have loose substrate as they will accidentally pick some up when eating. I would monitor how much she is licking the substrate, if it's consistent throughout the day she may not be a good fit for loose substrate. Ingesting a little bit every once in a while should be fine.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi there! i have a 4 month old beardie and she’s really wanting to start burrowing. i made up a substrate of play sand, top soil, and coconut fibre and she loves it. one problem is she licks it to navigate her tank and i’m wondering if it’ll cause impaction. it can hold its shape when molded and can be formed. just looking for help if this isn’t right or if anyone has any suggestions to other safe substrates for burrowing. i’m looking into excavator clay but it doesn’t seem to be for burrowing but for making burrows for your lizard. thanks!
Babies lick everything that is why we always recommended not to use sand at all --- shes too young for now I would take it out - the play sand will impact her --- you can use some cut up paper towels in to strips for her put in the hide those would work best for her now till shes older more toward adult stage that way the licking is going to be cut down -- they tend not to lick as much when older ---

aypckc

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've seen most places recommend not introducing loose substrate until your dragon is over 6 months old, ideally closer to 9 months old. You're off to a good start with mixing the play sand and soil (just make sure the soil is organic with no pesticides or chemicals), but as far as I knew coconut fiber is a no go as it is known for causing impactions. Make sure you're not feeding your dragon in the tank if you have loose substrate as they will accidentally pick some up when eating. I would monitor how much she is licking the substrate, if it's consistent throughout the day she may not be a good fit for loose substrate. Ingesting a little bit every once in a while should be fine.
thank you! yes the soil is organic top planting soil. i’ll mix up a new batch of just play sand and soil and might give her a burrowing space if she keeps licking it but keep the rest excavator clay.