• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best Insect?

Dory

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m considering getting a bearded dragon. I was thinking about what type of insect I should feed regularly and which I should feed just as a treat. I know I should keep it varied. What are some of the best insects to feed and what are some insects that should just be fed as treats. (I don’t want to deal with crickets) (I heard dubia roaches and hornworms are good. Is that true?) (Mealworms? Superworms?)

Dory

Bearded Dragon Egg
All the above - the best in my opinion are the dubias- it is good to offer a variety tho - mealworms are not real good for babies all worms should be fed sparingly- bsfl are a good staple feeder - if you would like I can give you some websites to get all those- let me know
Thank you that would be very helpful to have those websites. Thanks a lot! Also, how big should dubias be per age group. Like for babies, juvinials, and adults.

Dory

Bearded Dragon Egg
You do not want to feed a insect no bigger than the space between his eyes - so how old is the dragon and post a pic of him and I can maybe help w/ that - if in doubt feed something smaller -- but I can look at him / her and maybe help out --- here are the websites for insects and worms
www.dubiaroaches.com - great place to get worms as well - like horn worms they grow fast so order small amount and they are a hydrating worm -- butter worms nice and soft --- dubias are shipped in a plastic container that you can keep them in and feed them carrots -- do not feed your dragon carrots too
www.symtonbsf.com -- order large they are another great staple you do not need to dust as they are rich in calcium --- great for adding to salads as a lure to the bowl - feed as many as you want - you want him/her eating their vegies first thing in the morning
www.mulberryfarms.com-- they have nice silk worms and they too are a great staple feeder at this time they had them on sale but have run out of stock
www.reptilianarts.com-- nice silk worms from these people too and they are currently out of stock
www.abdragons.com- they ship their dubias in bags was not impressed w/ that -
here is a website for nutrition --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

If you decide to feed dubias as a staple you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium or tote and feed dubia food / and carrots for hydration - they keep a long time and better nutritional value than crickets -- the BSFL are good too but are small and you need to feed alot of them that is why its good to use both - variety is key -- use the worms like super worms you can order small ones from here if you cant find them where you live www.https://reptilesupply.com/ -- use them and butterworms as well but only use like 1-3 on the salads --- ask questions if you have any
Thank you. Like I said, I’m considering getting one. I don’t have one yet but this definitely helped. Thanks so much!