• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardies Diet isn’t like What I Researched

MotherOfRhubarb

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! I got my baby yesterday afternoon. I know it takes time for him to get used to the new environment and it might be affecting his diet. He will eat 5 ish crickets then stop eating. We have other foods like collard greens and veggies and he won’t eat that. I just want to be sure he’s okay and I’m not doing anything wrong. Any suggestions?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! I got my baby yesterday afternoon. I know it takes time for him to get used to the new environment and it might be affecting his diet. He will eat 5 ish crickets then stop eating. We have other foods like collard greens and veggies and he won’t eat that. I just want to be sure he’s okay and I’m not doing anything wrong. Any suggestions?
Make sure his lighting is correct- it is imparative- basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer No stickons! UVB should be a long tube fixture No coils! If you need help w/ the lighting please ask-- getting him to eat his salads usually takes luring- get some BSFL order large feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder- www.symtonbsf.com add them to the tops of his salads in front of him-- but you must have correct temps and UVB- these things are crucial to the over all behavior and health--

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
As Sadie said, it could be a lighting issue. He may also be going through relocation stress. It's normal for a beardie to have no/reduced appetite for the first few days in a new home. As long as there are no husbandry/environmental issues he'll have a hearty appetite soon.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
If lighting is not the issue:

He is fine. Will take him a few days to adjust but try to get him to eat more than that, he will need lots of insects. I'd feed as many as he will eat in a 15 minute time period.

Greens aren't as important right now but still research some good methods to get him to at least start eating little bits of it, will make your life 100% easier in the future!