• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie

Giselle.gigi.4

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I got a beardie first time I did all my research and everything but I was wondering if it's okay to give a beardie mealworms if not I don't know what to do with them and I was just wondering if it's safe to give it to them I know I could give it to them once they're older but I asked the place where I got the mealworms and they said it's fine.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I got a beardie first time I did all my research and everything but I was wondering if it's okay to give a beardie mealworms if not I don't know what to do with them and I was just wondering if it's safe to give it to them I know I could give it to them once they're older but I asked the place where I got the mealworms and they said it's fine.
How old is the dragon? If its a baby you can cut them up and feed till they are gone and then do not feed anymore till hes older -- like close to a year-- the people that sold the dragon to you have given bad advice which is not surprising -- if they sold you a coil UVB or got one in a "kit" please get rid of it --- coils are inadequate and cause many health issues -- you need a long tube fixture w / reflector and a Reptisun bulb -- what size is the tank your using? the two MOST IMPORTANT things in that tank are basking temps 105-110 for a baby taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- I can help you w/ the diet and feeding but you must get your lighting in order --- if you have improper UVB and incorrect basking temps he will stop eating -- so please go over the tank lighting

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
It's okay to give an adult beardie mealworms as a treat. Mealworms don't have a lot of nutritional value, and they're high in fat, so they aren't ideal insects to feed regularly.

Lorikm76

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is the dragon? If its a baby you can cut them up and feed till they are gone and then do not feed anymore till hes older -- like close to a year-- the people that sold the dragon to you have given bad advice which is not surprising -- if they sold you a coil UVB or got one in a "kit" please get rid of it --- coils are inadequate and cause many health issues -- you need a long tube fixture w / reflector and a Reptisun bulb -- what size is the tank your using? the two MOST IMPORTANT things in that tank are basking temps 105-110 for a baby taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- I can help you w/ the diet and feeding but you must get your lighting in order --- if you have improper UVB and incorrect basking temps he will stop eating -- so please go over the tank lighting
Does the fixture have to have a reflector? I’m new at this too. I have a Reptisun 10.0 T8 24 inch bulb or is it 22”. Can’t remember.... anyway I was told I could use a fixture from Walmart that fits the T8 bulb. The fixture was only 10.97 so I jumped on it. It seems to be working just fine but I don’t think it has a reflector. I’ll send a link to it.

Lorikm76

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does the fixture have to have a reflector? I’m new at this too. I have a Reptisun 10.0 T8 24 inch bulb or is it 22”. Can’t remember.... anyway I was told I could use a fixture from Walmart that fits the T8 bulb. The fixture was only 10.97 so I jumped on it. It seems to be working just fine but I don’t think it has a reflector. I’ll send a link to it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You need a fixture w/ a reflector so the UVB rays are directed downward to him -- a UVB bulb in a tank on the back wall is doing absolutely NO good for him - the rays are going everywhere in the tank - UVB rays are crucial to the health of the dragon w/ out the proper placement and distance the dragon will not be able to absorb / or synthesize the calcium he needs to prevent ALL kinds of illnesses one being the biggest neurological issues and MBD --- as babies it is the MOST crucial time as they are growing and developing----- I cannot stress this enough!! They still need it as well when they get older but the early stages are going to set the dragon for life -- please change your set up -- if you need more help please ask but this needs to be fixed ASAP