• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie not basking..?

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ive actualy set up a camera filming Chace today while im at work, to see how often he goes to his basking spot after altering one of the lights to shine down on a different spot as you suggested.
Hopefully there will be good results lol.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah my boy is the only one i have, I use to have an eastern a few years back. I have never gotten into the breeding side of things maybe next year i will with my geckos (well not on purpose anyway lol). I will actually be giving up on bearded dragons when my boy goes and move back into keeping Odatrias. Although since I am building a new enclosure stack and I will have a spare 30x24x18 space at the bottom of the gex complex i have been thinking about maybe keeping and breeding P.henrylawsoni since they have been put on the Vic license if not i will go back to the ctenophorus species as well.

Let us know how you go with the camera and if chace is using his new set up.

Do you keep anything else or is chace your first reptile?

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What are Odatrias? I dont think ive ever heard of them before..

I was actualy thinking of getting a gecko, but i dont know 1 thing about them yet! lol

I will do, i'll shorten it down a bit and post it if something interesting happens, lol.

8 hours of footage, something is bound to happen, haha..

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Andrewlloyd said:
What are Odatrias? I dont think ive ever heard of them before..

It's a term (sub-genus) given to the small or dwarf monitors of OZ (ackies,pygmy mulga, storr's, etc.)
I used to have pygmy mulga monitors and I have been thinking of going back to the varanid species particularly the storr's monitor to try and breed them.

Gex are pretty easy to keep mate, no hassles at all lol.

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ohh i see, lol
Sorry, never kept another lizard apart from a Beardie, but am deffiently keen too, lol.

Gex, as you call them.. Whats the most interesting one to keep?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Andrewlloyd said:
Gex, as you call them.. Whats the most interesting one to keep?

Difficult question mate, well i only have knob-tails anyway ;D. Their pretty cool but as with all gex you need a strong cup of coffee to really enjoy them. Mine have real personalities one of them would walk up to the glass and stare back at you if he catches yopu looking at him, definitely not shy. They also do this comical "push ups" when their trying to scare you with their tails up in the air, big bluff from something only 9 cms long lol. They have a strong feeding response and stalk the crickets till they are basically right behind them without the crickets knowing them BAM, lighting fast strike, blink and you'll miss it.

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Do you have much information on the knob-tails? Perhaps a care sheet or something?
They sound like alot of fun, and entertaining to watch at times.. Thats if im able to stay up that late, as i dont like coffee haha..

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So bit of an update for you all..
I reviewed my filming of Chace from yesterday.
Cut a long story short, he didnt bast at all! In fact he didnt even go close to the hot side, he came down and eat his roaches and some veggies, got back up on his branch and then later went over to the cool side platform and stayed there most the day..

I dont know what to do :S

ive moved the branch now so that he can climb up and down it and be able to get to the basking site, but now has no access to his cool side platform.

Least he is still eating, but i just dont want him to get ill from not being able to digest his food properly as his not basking at all.

Temps are still fine too.

Anyone have an idea what it could be?

Can a beardie be affraid of heights mayb?

Thanks guy..

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Alright mate, I have reviewed the pics of your set up from the first post. I should have really caught onto this sooner (sorry). You mentioned that he sits usually where he is on the pics and not at the basking platform. Now if you look up right above where he is sitting he is directly underneath the CHE and the thermo that controls that I assume is the one in the middle? If you have that thermo set at 35C and the placement of it near the bottom of the cage (+ the position of your flouro directly above the log and parrallel to the CHE), i suspect that the CHE would be on for most of the time? If that is the case then the reason why he is not underneath the basking light is because he is getting enough radiant heat from the CHE being on. I would actually lower the CHE thermostat setting to be at 20C because of the placement of the CHE itself in the middle of the enclosure. This will give you a better thermal gradient and would actually make him bask.

Give this a try and let us know if the situation improves.

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I re-did Chaces enclosure today.. Half finished, going to get tiles hopefully tomorrow.
But with it setup like this i noticed that he was basking a bit more today.

Not all day, but i suspect because it was pretty hot outside that that may have been why.

Ill give you all an update tomorrow :)

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Bloody hot today francis!!

I think Chace is doin a bit better.. Basking a bit more, but as its hot, ive done what you have suggested and turned the lights off for a part of the day..

Hopefully when the weather cools off in the next couple of days ill be able yo tell properly..

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So, bit of an update for you all..

Chace is begining to bask alot more since i changed his enclosure around..
Im going to take out my thermostat which is controlling my basking lights, as i think it may be irritating him when they turn off.
I can do this easily myself, and will be doing it tomorrow as i have the day off from work :)

He's also eating more n more too which is great!
60 roaches yesterday in 2 feedings! and alot more of his greens which is great too!

Kepp you updated, and will post pics of his new home later on..

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Chace is comming in at just under 16 inches and weighing at 205 after a big poop.
Happy to see he is putting on weight, and again has eatn 50-60 roaches :)

Andrewlloyd

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay, so i took out the thermostat today that was controlling the basking lights.
I seem to be getting OK temps with it out so thats good, but i do have about 3 other lower/higher wattages bulb, out and ready if things dont go well.

So here is a picture of the new renovations.. I'll be most likely putting down tile this weekend..
Not to happy about the small holes either on the walls, but i'll fit it up with some putty :p

004-1.jpg

He ran up to the glass when i was taking the photo..
003-1.jpg

Once again, ill keep you all up to date with the progress, and of course post pics when ive finsihed his new renovations :)