• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie is gulping/swallowing a lot

leslie2001

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello guys and girls,

I'm new to this forum and have a serious question already..

My beardie Louis, has some kind of problems... Since.. Maybe a month.
He's 14 years old now, in all those years he was with me, he was just fine, never were sick.

Since a month I guess, he's now eating less. He even denied eating insects.
Sometimes when I help him with eating like holding it in front of him he'll eat and also first look interested.. But only with greens.. Not insects.

He also is a bit weak on his feet, when he tries to climb up a pillow for example, he falls on his back so easy. He doesn't even try to get up, he's waiting for me to get him up and looks at me like a lil sweet sheep.

Now he is even gulping a lot, like when I put him on my chest for example or when he walks around. When he lays down peacefully he doesn't do it. (or only like one or two times)..

We have fed him special food for reptiles with vitamins and give him extra uv. He looks more healthy for sure, he's not so thin anymore. But still those "problems" remain. His poop looks alright and he still poops every day.

I often give him baths and let him drink when he's thirsty, I always check if he is. He drinks enough.
We have checked if he got swollen limps etc. Or soft bones.. It's none of it.

We don't have much money at the moment to effort a vet. I first wanted to hear your experiences and ideas.. Before I need to sell anything of my stuff so we can effort a vet...

PLS don't say anything mean only useful.. I've noticed many ppl were totally disrespectful to me when I talked about this... Well, only on the German forums.. Hope it's not like this here I'm so thankful for your comments.
Also, I wanna say, I'm not a newbie, I have had reptiles since I was a child..

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello guys and girls,

He's 14 years old now, in all those years he was with me, he was just fine, never were sick.

Sometimes when I help him with eating like holding it in front of him he'll eat and also first look interested.. But only with greens.. Not insects.

He also is a bit weak on his feet, when he tries to climb up a pillow for example, he falls on his back so easy. He doesn't even try to get up, he's waiting for me to get him up and looks at me like a lil sweet sheep.

Now he is even gulping a lot, like when I put him on my chest for example or when he walks around. When he lays down peacefully he doesn't do it. (or only like one or two times)..

We have fed him special food for reptiles with vitamins and give him extra uv. He looks more healthy for sure, he's not so thin anymore. But still those "problems" remain. His poop looks alright and he still poops every day.

I often give him baths and let him drink when he's thirsty, I always check if he is. He drinks enough.

We don't have much money at the moment to effort a vet. I first wanted to hear your experiences and ideas.. Before I need to sell anything of my stuff so we can effort a vet...

PLS don't say anything mean only useful.. I've noticed many ppl were totally disrespectful to me when I talked about this... Well, only on the German forums.. Hope it's not like this here I'm so thankful for your comments.
Oh my goodness! 14 years young! Wow and impressive! I'm a new mom and learning new things every day so can't give advice on what might be wrong, but hoping some of the experts here might have some suggestions. Sorry your guy is feeling poorly. Hope someone here can help and hope he's feeling better soon.

leslie2001

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh my goodness! 14 years young! Wow and impressive! I'm a new mom and learning new things every day so can't give advice on what might be wrong, but hoping some of the experts here might have some suggestions. Sorry your guy is feeling poorly. Hope someone here can help and hope he's feeling better soon.
Hey. Thank you so much ❤️ such a sweet message makes my day better for sure ☺️
Louis is a little fighter hehe, he's very special. He's surely different than other beardies.. I can't even explain how.. But damn he's my little baby. Hope it will be better soon.. Maybe it's only his age?.. Not sure but hope so.

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
Wow, I hope my girl will live to be that old!! Very impressive my guy... the only time I had problems with gulping was when Lucky had some shed stuck in her nose. She wasn’t necessarily gulping but she was breathing really hard because she couldn’t breathe out of her nose. Another time was a few days ago when my 2 1/2 year old boy Jojo was dying. I’m pretty sure he was going into organ failure and he could hardly breathe. (I’m not sure the cause of Jojo’s death. I think he had a pre-existing condition that went undetected until it hit him like a truck). It doesn’t sound like your lovely dragon is in Jojo’s condition, but just to be safe I would prepare for a vet visit just in case an emergency springs upon you (I will pray to God that it doesn’t )

leslie2001

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow, I hope my girl will live to be that old!! Very impressive my guy... the only time I had problems with gulping was when Lucky had some shed stuck in her nose. She wasn’t necessarily gulping but she was breathing really hard because she couldn’t breathe out of her nose. Another time was a few days ago when my 2 1/2 year old boy Jojo was dying. I’m pretty sure he was going into organ failure and he could hardly breathe. (I’m not sure the cause of Jojo’s death. I think he had a pre-existing condition that went undetected until it hit him like a truck). It doesn’t sound like your lovely dragon is in Jojo’s condition, but just to be safe I would prepare for a vet visit just in case an emergency springs upon you (I will pray to God that it doesn’t )
Hey. Thank you so much for your answer...man this sounds awful, I'm sorry for you loss, Jojo sounds so cute.. Lil beardie ❤️rip

Hopefully Louis won't leave me.. I would die with him tbh.... Wouldn't be able to take that right now. I guess if it would be an illness like.. An infection or something then his wife and his son would have it too.. They live together... And before anyone says anything.. They live peaceful... Some might can't imagine but they are so fine with each other, it's impressive.. I'm actually scared to tell anyone that I let them be together.. I got insulted by so many ppl bcs of that. ;(

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
Hey. Thank you so much for your answer...man this sounds awful, I'm sorry for you loss, Jojo sounds so cute.. Lil beardie ❤rip

Hopefully Louis won't leave me.. I would die with him tbh.... Wouldn't be able to take that right now. I guess if it would be an illness like.. An infection or something then his wife and his son would have it too.. They live together... And before anyone says anything.. They live peaceful... Some might can't imagine but they are so fine with each other, it's impressive.. I'm actually scared to tell anyone that I let them be together.. I got insulted by so many ppl bcs of that. ;(

I’m sorry people are so cruel to you!! You sound like a very caring beardie parent. I hope he doesn’t leave you either!! Make sure you keep an eye on your other ones in case he does have something. There were absolutely no signs of illness for Jojo until he suddenly fell into a critical condition... is he gulping because he can’t breathe do you think? Or is he uncomfortable?

leslie2001

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m sorry people are so cruel to you!! You sound like a very caring beardie parent. I hope he doesn’t leave you either!! Make sure you keep an eye on your other ones in case he does have something. There were absolutely no signs of illness for Jojo until he suddenly fell into a critical condition... is he gulping because he can’t breathe do you think? Or is he uncomfortable?
Hmm.. I'm not sure... I don't think he has breathing problems.... I think the gulping could be... That he saves food in his beard.. My mom says it could be. And his weakness problems might be bcs of his age... :(

Just wanna make sure, maybe someone had the same with their old beardies.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey. Thank you so much for your answer...man this sounds awful, I'm sorry for you loss, Jojo sounds so cute.. Lil beardie ❤rip

I'm sorry to hear that peeps were so cruel. I believe that every beardy is different and unique and all act differently. If your babies stay together and there are no issues, then why not let them. I'm sure if they weren't you would have separated them immediately. Just the fact that Louis is 14 years young shows how much you do take care of them. I agree with Kylie, it sounds like you are a caring, loving parent and you know your babies best. As for Louis, he is an old fellow and us old peeps do get old people aches and pains so that might be some of his troubles. I hope he makes a swift recovery.

leslie2001

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm sorry to hear that peeps were so cruel. I believe that every beardy is different and unique and all act differently. If your babies stay together and there are no issues, then why not let them. I'm sure if they weren't you would have separated them immediately. Just the fact that Louis is 14 years young shows how much you do take care of them. I agree with Kylie, it sounds like you are a caring, loving parent and you know your babies best. As for Louis, he is an old fellow and us old peeps do get old people aches and pains so that might be some of his troubles. I hope he makes a swift recovery.
Thank you so much. I can't even show here, how thankful I am for all of your words guys.. It means a lot.

I've been trying to make those people understand..but they just started to threat me then.

I'm so worried about Louis. I fed him and I just have to cuddle him right now for 5 minutes or.. More I just need to. I will give him a nice bath today as well.
I'm going to sell any of my stuff to collect money for a vet. I wanna make sure he isn't in pain or anything.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello guys and girls,

You are feeding him reptile food??? WHAT??? He needs crickets and Dubia roaches for protein land staple veggies and greens and u probably did not dust the insects in calcium he needs calcium everyday!!!amd UVB amd heat the UVBhas to be the tubular long Reptisun bulb!! He is weak because he probably has MBD metabolic bone disease!!! Get him to a vet ASAP!!!! Amdbuy calcium powder but he needs calcium shots ASAp!! And u will b lucky if he doesn’t die! Find a reptile vet or relinquish him so they can save him!! If u cantevwnfeed him live crickets, Dubia roaches or super worms or Hornworms Plus veggies those are the only things he should be eating!! Dried food and fake bottle food is the worst!! Take him to a vet ASAP or relinquish him to a vet or animal rescue!!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm.. I'm not sure... I don't think he has breathing problems.... I think the gulping could be... That he saves food in his beard.. My mom says it could be. And his weakness problems might be bcs of his age... :(

Just wanna make sure, maybe someone had the same with their old beardies.
Hi; Yoir Beardie has an Upper respiratory infection!! Take him to the vet ASAP!! They will give him 3 doses of antibiotics!!! Your temps are off at nite the temps should be above 70; because he is sick get a ceramic heater it’s a bulb with NO light for nite time and place it above where he sleeps or next to him. Also daytime temps should be 95-100 for an adult and 100-105 for a Beardie younger than 1.5 years old!! Humidity should be 30-40 Never ever higher!! He got sick cuz temps and humidity are off and or if u got water in his ears when bathing big NONO!! He will die if he doesn’t get antibiotics!! Take him to a good reptile vet ASAP!! It happened to mine and she’s healthy as a horse and eating like a champ! Plus I rescue beardies ans rehome them!! Please take him in ASAP!!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi; Yoir Beardie has an Upper respiratory infection!! Take him to the vet ASAP!! They will give him 3 doses of antibiotics!!! Your temps are off at nite the temps should be above 70; because he is sick get a ceramic heater it’s a bulb with NO light for nite time and place it above where he sleeps or next to him. Also daytime temps should be 95-100 for an adult and 100-105 for a Beardie younger than 1.5 years old!! Humidity should be 30-40 Never ever higher!! He got sick cuz temps and humidity are off and or if u got water in his ears when bathing big NONO!! He will die if he doesn’t get antibiotics!! Take him to a good reptile vet ASAP!! It happened to mine and she’s healthy as a horse and eating like a champ! Plus I rescue beardies ans rehome them!! Please take him in ASAP!!