• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragons and water intake

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Hmmm I can't get the link to work, or their home site. I wonder if it's down for a bit?
Try going through the browser version instead of Tapatalk. Also try copying and pasting the link to a browser. Hope it works for ya

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
Hard to argue with scientific studies on these animals but once again i find a conflicting recommendation. On a podcast called Reptile LivingRoom an interview with longtime breeder Mark Romansky reveals that he has bathed his dragons every day for over 25 yrs. in order to avoid shedding issues and has never had a problem. Obv, i am not a breeder, I'm just trying to make one dragon happy and if they don't absorb water through their scales at all (and benefit only by drinking the bath water) then i'm leaning toward less baths. She was shedding her neck and back today and i decided not to bathe her

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hard to argue with scientific studies on these animals but once again i find a conflicting recommendation. On a podcast called Reptile LivingRoom an interview with longtime breeder Mark Romansky reveals that he has bathed his dragons every day for over 25 yrs. in order to avoid shedding issues and has never had a problem. Obv, i am not a breeder, I'm just trying to make one dragon happy and if they don't absorb water through their scales at all (and benefit only by drinking the bath water) then i'm leaning toward less baths. She was shedding her neck and back today and i decided not to bathe her

When I had one dragon, I gave her a bath every other day because it was believed they absorb water through their vent. When that was proved wrong, I did once a week. None of my dragons drink water in the tub even when I drop it on their nose so now I do only if they are shedding or haven’t pooped in awhile.

Sbu70

Bearded Dragon Egg
I do have a little bowl of water in the cool end. I read that translucents benefit from slightly more humidity. Happy to be corrected if that’s wrong.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do have a little bowl of water in the cool end. I read that translucents benefit from slightly more humidity. Happy to be corrected if that’s wrong.
I don't have any experience with translucents but I do believe you are correct given their lack of scales to protect themselves..also different when it comes to temps and basking lighting

Sbu70

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't have any experience with translucents but I do believe you are correct given their lack of scales to protect themselves..also different when it comes to temps and basking lighting

Ours does have scales. He’s a “normal” as far as scales go but has the trans trait which means he has jet black eyes and lacks white pigment in his colouring.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Ours does have scales. He’s a “normal” as far as scales go but has the trans trait which means he has jet black eyes and lacks white pigment in his colouring.
Can you show us a picture of him? We love pictures here [emoji2]

Sbu70

Bearded Dragon Egg

Attachments

• 1B9F519B-C86B-4531-AA58-E7A0339280E8.jpeg
    1B9F519B-C86B-4531-AA58-E7A0339280E8.jpeg
    424.6 KB · Views: 360
  • 2A1060E3-B745-466F-B45B-94346DBBAC65.jpeg
    2A1060E3-B745-466F-B45B-94346DBBAC65.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 333

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Here you go :)
He looks so handsome [emoji23]
Idk if they do need any different kind of treatment than regular beardies. Only one I would guess needs extra precaution would be silkbacks, as they have no scales

Sbu70

Bearded Dragon Egg
He looks so handsome [emoji23]
Idk if they do need any different kind of treatment than regular beardies. Only one I would guess needs extra precaution would be silkbacks, as they have no scales

Yes, I wasn’t sure whether the lack of pigment means his skin is materially different. He seems to be doing well with his little bowl of water.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah I don't think the scales on him are different than any other physically, other than being transparent. I think if I'm correct, he has close to or no ability to produce melamine which is the color of the nails, scales and such. But he has the ability to produce keratin, which is the compound of scales, nails or claws, and etc..
But if he's doing good, than I think it's safe to say he's good [emoji106][emoji5]

Sbu70

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah I don't think the scales on him are different than any other physically, other than being transparent. I think if I'm correct, he has close to or no ability to produce melamine which is the color of the nails, scales and such. But he has the ability to produce keratin, which is the compound of scales, nails or claws, and etc..
But if he's doing good, than I think it's safe to say he's good [emoji106][emoji5]

Thank you.

Latest posts