• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon with possible respiratory infection

TaterTotTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Two days ago, my beardie wasn't acting well. She puffed up and wouldn't move or breathe correctly. Her eyes kept closing and she kept gasping for air. After an hour, she was fine. Then this morning she did it again. I took her to the vet and they were stumped. They checked her heart rate, mouth and weight. Everything was perfectly fine. They said to keep watch of her for a few days and take a video if she does it again. If they find out what's wrong, they'll give her antibiotics. In the mean time, I'm trying to find out if it is a respiratory infection.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Let's start here: how old is your dragon, I promise I'm asking for a reason

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I'm almost positive there is a section within this forum about beardie health, go there and see if there is something that helps. Also, start this thread there.
I was wondering do you have low humidity in the enclosure? Humidity is the enemy of dragons, they come from dry, ardent air. Has she had water to drink and have you SEEN her drink? Her basking should be anywhere between 100F-105F, and her cool spot should be around 82F-85F. Plz keep us posted, good luck

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What was she doing right before she started doing this? Did she eat something? Drink something? Had you given her a bath?

TaterTotTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't keep a water dish in her terrarium but I do have her drink from a spray bottle and soak her once a week. Her basking spot arranges from 90F-100F and the cool side is 80F.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
It sounds to me that you're a good beardie parent. They are known to find a food that they really love and will stop eating any other foods you offer them until you give them what they want. They're pretty easy lizards to have, but sometimes you'll get the 1 that becomes a bit of a brat. If this behavior continues take him back to the vet. Also make sure his lights are not older then 1 yr, especially his UVB, this is crucial

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's why I asked about the bath. I have a girl that tends to aspirate when she has a bath. She gets limp and her beard goes black and she gets real weak and she does that gulping. If you notice this happen after a bath there are some immediate steps to take to help prevent a URI or pneumonia.

It's easy to do this when they are burrito wrapped in a towel with their head covered. You want them to keep their head down and not lift it back, covering the top of their head helps relax them a little bit. Put the dragon on your arm, head in your hand, tail by your upper arm. Hold at a downward angle and pat them on the back, this will make any excess fluid run out of their mouth. Keep doing this until you think all the fluid is out. It can take 10 min or an hour, just keep doing it. When you are done, put them under the heat lamp to warm up a bit.

TaterTotTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all for replying, but I've got some terrible news. Tater Tot passed away this morning. I tried getting her to wake up, but still nothing. I cried so much over her body. I just couldn't believe it. We were gonna take her back to the vet bit now it's too
late. Tater Tot will always be remembered by the ones who loved her

TaterTotTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's been a few hours and I'm still crying. You never know with animals. Yesterday, she was happy and running around, then she was limp this morning. My dog did the same thing. She barked at people outside that night and then she couldn't get up the next morning. My whole family is upset and my sister is out of the country for four more days. It's going to be heart breaking to tell her. I loved Tater Tot so much.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I know it sucks so bad. It's never easy to lose them but it is a little better knowing they didn't suffer long, if that makes sense. We had a cat for 15 years and a few years ago she got an abscess on her neck. She was being treated by the vet and it was healing but one day she was a little "off" and I took her to the vet to be rechecked and she stopped breathing while they were examining her. They revived her but after we left her, it happened again and she passed. I was crushed but it felt a little comforting knowing that she went quick and she wasn't in pain and she wasn't being treated for some long term illness. Our other cat was 18 years old and she developed kidney disease and for 6 months I gave her sub q fluids daily and it was such a horrible feeling sticking her with a needle and having her upset with me for a little bit. Luckily she was one of those cats that was very forgiving and a few hours later would come snuggle with me. We got to the point though that it was more than just her kidneys and we made the decision to end her suffering. Animals are very good at hiding their illnesses and pain until the very end. Just hold on to your good memories of TaterTot, she really looked like she was a sweetheart.

TaterTotTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
She really was amazing. Never showed aggression or illness until that night. She died in her sleep with no pain and had many people who loved her. I told one of my friends that she had died and she started bawling. I wish the vet knew what was wrong so he could give her antibiotics. I really want to carry on with having a Bearded Dragon so after all this, I'll probably get an adult Bearded Dragon in a few months so I have a scaly buddy. Tater Tot will never be forgotten or replaced.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I'm so sorry for your loss, like Patsy said it's never easy losing a beloved pet. You did the best you could, I know I'll be a mess when mine start to go (2- 10 yrs & 6-7yrs) . Glad to hear you'll try again to have a beardie, there are so many out there that need a loving home (adult beardies ) you'd be surprised how many idiots get 1 and don't take proper care for them, but you did and I'm happy that tatertot was loved, again I'm sorry ...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm glad to hear you will get another one. No one can replace TaterTot but beardies have such a unique personality, you have to have another.

TaterTotTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's just so sad that she's gone. I did everything with her. I keep sleeping downstairs because if I go to my room, I'll start crying if I see the terrarium. It's going to be hard finding an adult Bearded Dragon. Do you guys know where I can get a healthy one?

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I'm gonna leave this to the others, only thing I can think of is Craigslist.
I'm happy that you're gonna open your heart again to another dragon, as you've seen on this forum they're awesome ! Keep us posted