• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon with no tail!!

sammichiaki123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, Im new to this forum!! :)

We recently adopted a Bearded dragon from a rescue centre. Sadly the batch were in a poor state when found. Due to neglect and not being fed,they were all missing limbs from somewhere as they had began eating each other in starvation :( Some were missing hands or feet. The one we have adopted no longer has a tail. You wouldn't of thought he had been through such an experience, he is eating well, very lively running about and is a friendly little guy :) we think he is around 3/4 months.

As he dosen't have his tail for balance sometimes when he climbs he falls over, occasionally onto his back, and he has to roll around a bit (like a tortoise) to right himself. It's quite a sorry sight sometimes although it is quite cute seeing him flip back over :)

I was wondering if anyone else has owned a bearded dragon without a tail? is this a necessary part of anatomy, could it affect his longevity? anything i should look out for? apart from the falling over issues he has sometimes he seems quite happy. We named him Stumpy as we thought it was quite fitting ;)

Thanks!! :)

2.jpg

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Poor little fella. I dont know how it will affect him in the long run, but I'm glad someone that will give him the care he needs got him. Keep me posted as he grows, Im curious to see him grow.

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Stumpy is such a cutie without his tail. I don't know of any way that will affect him, besides some minor balance issues. But I'm sure with your love he'll learn to do anything he needs to.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Theres a poster on another site whos dragon had an absess in his tail. It was amputated millimeters from the vent so he has even less of a tail than yours. :eek:

As long as the wound is healed up, it shouldnt affect him at all and he will have a happy healthy life with you.

Emily

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
How precious! He's adorable! So what if he's a little handicapped? I always liked different. As long as he makes it work for himself, he's perfect. I've only owned one beardie but I would own a million if it could prevent them from being abandoned like that.

Gemsheard

Hatchling Dragon
awaaah hes very cutee
i did a course at college involving reptiles and we had a beardie with no tail also named stumpy :p
he was fine he lived his life as usual and was happy and friendly so i dont think it will have any major set backs for him just maybe the falling over some times :)
hes lovely so glad hes got a good home now

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you 4 doing what u you do, there aren't enough people that do rescues with any animal. It is greatly appreciated ;)

Cody Badger

Bearded Dragon Egg
Stumpy is very cute and unique and thats always a good thing to be different. Now your cute beardie has a name that he can live up too and will stand out to your friends when they see him and will probably be mentioned to other beardie owners. good luck and keep my updated on how Stumpy is doing, i love him already :D