• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon tank questions

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Hello, I recently was gifted a baby beardie with little knowlege of the animal. She came with a ten gallon, which I learned later on was bad for them. I just got a 55 gallon tank and I won't be able to get a bigger size, will this be okay?? How would I heat a 55 gallon correctly?

Giselle.gigi.4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im going to be getting the same but a 40 gallon I did hear its bad for them but I only have the 10 gallon for now and for you're tank you need a cool side and a basking side what's what I heard

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, I recently was gifted a baby beardie with little knowlege of the animal. She came with a ten gallon, which I learned later on was bad for them. I just got a 55 gallon tank and I won't be able to get a bigger size, will this be okay?? How would I heat a 55 gallon correctly?
The 55 gallon is fine-- you need a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO STICKONS they are inaccurate-- you need a 24" Zoo Med fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb look at this website-- www.pangeareptiles.com you need this ASAP--- look under fixtures and T 5 bulbs--- get this ASAP--please-- those three things I just posted are the most important things in that tank-- let me know what the rest of your set up is -- NO SAND NO COLORED BULBS NO HEAT MATS--NO COIL UVB's

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
The 55 gallon is fine-- you need a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO STICKONS they are inaccurate-- you need a 24" Zoo Med fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb look at this website-- www.pangeareptiles.com you need this ASAP--- look under fixtures and T 5 bulbs--- get this ASAP--please-- those three things I just posted are the most important things in that tank-- let me know what the rest of your set up is -- NO SAND NO COLORED BULBS NO HEAT MATS--NO COIL UVB's
Thank you for the help, I will get this immediately. Do you know anything about substrate?? I have reptile carpet, and I read that it was bad for their nails. I looked into tile and saw that it could hurt their joints. Is this true? What do you recommend?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the help, I will get this immediately. Do you know anything about substrate?? I have reptile carpet, and I read that it was bad for their nails. I looked into tile and saw that it could hurt their joints. Is this true? What do you recommend?
Yes tile is hard on the joints but as long as you can provide something soft like fleece blanket in their hide and lots of decor for them to climb on it shouldn't be that bad- I use tile in my tanks- you want slated ceramic w/ some texture no coarse or smooth- or you can go w/ a textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- both are good and easy to clean- what are you feeding?

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
I feed her about 15 small crickets a day (Dusted with Fluker's Reptile Calcium once every two or three days) and a salad usually made with collard greens and other veggies. I read that this was okay because she's still a baby? I really appreciate all the help!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feed her about 15 small crickets a day (Dusted with Fluker's Reptile Calcium once every two or three days) and a salad usually made with collard greens and other veggies. I read that this was okay because she's still a baby? I really appreciate all the help!!
She needs more insects- is she eating the salads ? And please start dusting her crickets 5 x per week w/ calcium D 3 once per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene- 2 x per week once per feeding-- dust the insects and she should be offered them 2-3 times per day w/ salads once per day for now-- I would get her some BSFL they are a great staple feeder and you don't need to dust- dubia roaches are a great staple as well - I will post some websites for you

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
She needs more insects- is she eating the salads ? And please start dusting her crickets 5 x per week w/ calcium D 3 once per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene- 2 x per week once per feeding-- dust the insects and she should be offered them 2-3 times per day w/ salads once per day for now-- I would get her some BSFL they are a great staple feeder and you don't need to dust- dubia roaches are a great staple as well - I will post some websites for you
She usually eats the salads, and I will start dusting them more often from now on. Where do I get the vitamins?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She usually eats the salads, and I will start dusting them more often from now on. Where do I get the vitamins?
those need to be dusted just like the insects 2 x per week once per feeding -- example M-F calcium Sat and Sun vitamins this will change once she becomes a year old - you will need to start dusting calcium D 3 2 times per week w/ calcium w/ out D 3 NO phosphorus 3 times per week but for now its just the vitamins and Calcium D 3 --- she needs this to prevent MBD BUT you must have the proper UVB for her to be able to absorb / synthesize the calcium--- did you find the UVB I posted for you? Also here is a pic of the tile I was talking about
websites for insects / worms
www.symtonbsf.com you will need a glass or ceramic dish they cant get out of like this -- use these as salad toppers and hand feed to her as well
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
nutrition website --- ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
www.dubiaroaches.com great roaches -- you can see if they have some small super worms and feed as a salad topper 1-3
www.reptilianarts.com great silk worms and super worms as well - silk worms are another great staple feeder - order in bulk like 50 they come small -- you would need to order food as they dont come w/ food and clean containers out every day -- I have other sites as well but this is a start let me know how it goes

Attachments

• floor tile.jpg
    floor tile.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
those need to be dusted just like the insects 2 x per week once per feeding -- example M-F calcium Sat and Sun vitamins this will change once she becomes a year old - you will need to start dusting calcium D 3 2 times per week w/ calcium w/ out D 3 NO phosphorus 3 times per week but for now its just the vitamins and Calcium D 3 --- she needs this to prevent MBD BUT you must have the proper UVB for her to be able to absorb / synthesize the calcium--- did you find the UVB I posted for you? Also here is a pic of the tile I was talking about
websites for insects / worms
www.symtonbsf.com you will need a glass or ceramic dish they cant get out of like this -- use these as salad toppers and hand feed to her as well
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
nutrition website --- ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
www.dubiaroaches.com great roaches -- you can see if they have some small super worms and feed as a salad topper 1-3
www.reptilianarts.com great silk worms and super worms as well - silk worms are another great staple feeder - order in bulk like 50 they come small -- you would need to order food as they dont come w/ food and clean containers out every day -- I have other sites as well but this is a start let me know ho
Thank you, I think I have/ will soon have the correct UVB. I'm very interested in the roaches, and I think I'll order some soon. Can they be a feeder on their own, or do they need to be fed with the crickets?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, I think I have/ will soon have the correct UVB. I'm very interested in the roaches, and I think I'll order some soon. Can they be a feeder on their own, or do they need to be fed with the crickets?
Feeder on their own the BSFL is a good compliment to the staple feeder --- they like variety and crickets can be fed later as well but for now I would do the roaches and BSFL-- crickets are a pain in the butt --- they stink they chirp and they are escape artist -- you can keep dubias in a 10 gallon tote or aquarium feed dubia food and squash/ carrots for hydration -- they are easy to take care of -- and they dont die off like crickets do as well -- they are more nutritious as well --when you get the UVB let me know I will help you place it in the tank they require proper placement and distance -- the T 5 has options for placement depending on the screen your using