• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon setup

hannah.

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m looking into getting a bearded dragon soon and I wanted to check with some experts if this is a good setup. I’ve made a list of the things I’m considering buying if I get one

120cm long vivarium
100W prorep basking bulb
Exoterra uvb light
Tissue paper for substrate
Basking hide
Hammock
Some other decorations for the enclosure
Hygrometer and thermometer
Thermostat
Food dish

is there anything here unsuitable or anything I should add? Thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m looking into getting a bearded dragon soon and I wanted to check with some experts if this is a good setup. I’ve made a list of the things I’m considering buying if I get one

120cm long vivarium length is good you need at least a 24 inch width and 18 or 24 inch height
100W prorep basking bulb-- this will be trial and error temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate
Exoterra uvb light is this a tube or coil --- NO coils please for a UVB I recommend a 24" Zoo Med Sunblaster or Arcadia for a 40+ gallon tank Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or a Arcadia Desert Bulb 12% coils are NO good they cause too many health issues
Tissue paper for substrate-- I recommend textured NON adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile nothing to coarse and no smooth - cut to the size of the tank w/ a tile cutter you dont want jagged edges - this can be found at your local home improvement store
Basking hide- I recommend two of them
Hammock-- no green mesh they cause too many foot / leg injuries I would use cloth or fleece
Some other decorations for the enclosure you want something under the basking light that gives a gradient heat - something they can sit stand lay on or lay against --
Hygrometer and thermometer you want both digital on these --
Thermostat is this like a dimmer ?
Food dish - you want a dish that is ceramic or glass one insects cant get out of

If you have any questions please ask --- the one thing you need to remember is the basking temps and the UVB is the MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank - they control the overall health and behavior of your dragon

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Keep in mind the very specific type of UVB bulb & fixture you need -- I use ReptiSun 10.0 T5 Linear. You will need a log or basking rock you can place light this 16" above.

Your heat fixture and 150 watt bulb will also be hanging above this at about 6-8" above your dragon. *Be sure your dragon cannot burn themselves on it!*

Other than that everything looks great I like that you have hygrometers and thermometers, I recommend getting a temp gun (not the ones recommended for human temperature taking), they make it easy to check the basking temperature and they are accurate :)

hannah.

Bearded Dragon Egg

120cm long vivarium
100W prorep basking bulb
Exoterra uvb light
Basking hide
Hammock
Thermostat
Food dish

120cm long vivarium
100W prorep basking bulb
Exoterra uvb light
Basking hide
Hammock
Thermostat
Food dish

Keep in mind the very specific type of UVB bulb & fixture you need -- I use ReptiSun 10.0 T5 Linear. You will need a log or basking rock you can place light this 16" above.

Your heat fixture and 150 watt bulb will also be hanging above this at about 6-8" above your dragon. *Be sure your dragon cannot burn themselves on it!*

Other than that everything looks great I like that you have hygrometers and thermometers, I recommend getting a temp gun (not the ones recommended for human temperature taking), they make it easy to check the basking temperature and they are accurate :)
I actually have one already since I have a tortoise! I will use that :)

hannah.

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you have any questions please ask --- the one thing you need to remember is the basking temps and the UVB is the MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank - they control the overall health and behavior of your dragon
Yeah I got that! Thank you, will definetly let you know if I have any questions :)

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I actually have one already since I have a tortoise! I will use that :)
Sadie is really good with placement she's helped me place lights in two enclosures now.

Highly recommend having your setup reviewed by them once your done setting up just to be on the safe side if you are unsure.

hannah.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sadie is really good with placement she's helped me place lights in two enclosures now.

Highly recommend having your setup reviewed by them once your done setting up just to be on the safe side if you are unsure.
Yeah I will if I do end up getting one.. could be quite a while even if I do get one, this was just some ideas for the enclosure!