• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon hissy fit?

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
So, for the last 2 days my beardie has been putting up a big stink. He will eat his veggies in the morning, but for the last 2 days he won't touch crickets, which were his favorite. I have always used a separate feeder bin and he's never cared, just went to town chowing down, but he just sits there, let's them walk around then tries to jump out after a few mins. He's also being more squirmy when held. Nothing has changed, except the outdoor temps. Inside he has had his consistent temps.

He has 2 basking spots. Both stay about 103°-105°, low 90's around the hot side, 86ish middle and 82 cool. Night time stays 70 with a thermostat. He's currently not shedding either. Nothings changed in the tank and neither has the routine. I am having to spray his hammock inside the tank, because this cold weather is dropping the humidity though and that's the only thing that may hold a teenie bit of moisture. My humidifier I bought leaks

He's pooping, eating veggies, I spray him daily outside the tank to make sure he's getting water as well, there are no stress marks, he doesn't puff up, darken his beard or attempt to bite.... it's just weird.

Do they just have times when they just say screw you? Lol what do you guys think gave him the large stick up his behind? Lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So, for the last 2 days my beardie has been putting up a big stink. He will eat his veggies in the morning, but for the last 2 days he won't touch crickets, which were his favorite. I have always used a separate feeder bin and he's never cared, just went to town chowing down, but he just sits there, let's them walk around then tries to jump out after a few mins. He's also being more squirmy when held. Nothing has changed, except the outdoor temps. Inside he has had his consistent temps.

He has 2 basking spots. Both stay about 103°-105°, low 90's around the hot side, 86ish middle and 82 cool. Night time stays 70 with a thermostat. He's currently not shedding either. Nothings changed in the tank and neither has the routine. I am having to spray his hammock inside the tank, because this cold weather is dropping the humidity though and that's the only thing that may hold a teenie bit of moisture. My humidifier I bought leaks

He's pooping, eating veggies, I spray him daily outside the tank to make sure he's getting water as well, there are no stress marks, he doesn't puff up, darken his beard or attempt to bite.... it's just weird.

Do they just have times when they just say screw you? Lol what do you guys think gave him the large stick up his behind? Lol
Time to change feeders --- get him some dubia roaches to start w/ - https://reptilianarts.com/
they will get to where they dont want certain feeders and it sounds like hes tired of them

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
Time to change feeders --- get him some dubia roaches to start w/ - https://reptilianarts.com/
they will get to where they dont want certain feeders and it sounds like hes tired of them
He does get dubia's as well, but he's ignoring all feeders... I've tried crickets and dubias ( granted, I can't find any local that are larger than nymphs)... he ate a small few mealworms when I mixed them with his veggies, but not all. I usually don't give him many mealworms, I just keep them for little treats essentially, but I wanted to see. It's also his sketchiness that's off...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He does get dubia's as well, but he's ignoring all feeders... I've tried crickets and dubias ( granted, I can't find any local that are larger than nymphs)... he ate a small few mealworms when I mixed them with his veggies, but not all. I usually don't give him many mealworms, I just keep them for little treats essentially, but I wanted to see. It's also his sketchiness that's off...
Sketchiness? Ok try some silk worms from reptilianarts I would go for the cup first I think there's like 20-25 and those come w/ food - your better off getting feeders on line they are cheaper than pet stores+ I can post some more websites if you like -

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
Sketchiness? Ok try some silk worms from reptilianarts I would go for the cup first I think there's like 20-25 and those come w/ food - your better off getting feeders on line they are cheaper than pet stores+ I can post some more websites if you like -
That would be great, thank you! I'm actually planning on starting a roach colony soon.

And yea. He's just super jittery and squirmy lately. Always ready to bolt

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That would be great, thank you! I'm actually planning on starting a roach colony soon.

And yea. He's just super jittery and squirmy lately. Always ready to bolt
Could be hormones mine glass surfs every year this time- does it for weeks drives me crazy - I get him out for 2 hrs or so and he's fine when he goes back to his tank but for the month of Jan into February we're glass surfing and not much interest in food

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
Could be hormones mine glass surfs every year this time- does it for weeks drives me crazy - I get him out for 2 hrs or so and he's fine when he goes back to his tank but for the month of Jan into February we're glass surfing and not much interest in food
OK, that makes since too. He was taming so well for only being 4 months and not being handled much before then (in my opinion) he'd relax against my chest and pig out for dinner, now he acts like I gave him a bottle of mountain dew lol

Srmcclure

Hatchling Dragon
He ate today like nothing happened lol ‍♀️