• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon food/schedule

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I’ll be getting my beardie when it’s 12 weeks (in 3 weeks time) - I work from home currently and am looking at this until at least July/August (maybe later).

just wanted to ask a fair few questions about the food and schedule as I see contrasting info online.

Dubia Roaches are best to feed I understand. And I understand the 75% meat 25% veg etc.
I’ve heard about people breeding or keeping their roaches in special tanks etc - if I buy them from the reptile shop every other day, that’d be fine surely? What else can baby dragons eat? (Also which age are they ‘juvenile’, as I’ve seen 5 months but then seen 9 months

when the time comes (hopefully it’ll only need feeding twice a day then) and I need to return to office, between 8:30am-4pm there would be no one home - I can ask someone to come feed them no issues.
But, is there any dishes that I can put live food in before I leave (which cannot escape), that the dragon can eat? If so which dish and which insect ? - I’m looking at alternative ‘what ifs’

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I’ll be getting my beardie when it’s 12 weeks (in 3 weeks time) - I work from home currently and am looking at this until at least July/August (maybe later).

just wanted to ask a fair few questions about the food and schedule as I see contrasting info online.

Dubia Roaches are best to feed I understand. And I understand the 75% meat 25% veg etc.
I’ve heard about people breeding or keeping their roaches in special tanks etc - if I buy them from the reptile shop every other day, that’d be fine surely? What else can baby dragons eat? (Also which age are they ‘juvenile’, as I’ve seen 5 months but then seen 9 months

when the time comes (hopefully it’ll only need feeding twice a day then) and I need to return to office, between 8:30am-4pm there would be no one home - I can ask someone to come feed them no issues.
But, is there any dishes that I can put live food in before I leave (which cannot escape), that the dragon can eat? If so which dish and which insect ? - I’m looking at alternative ‘what ifs’
You can use this bowl until the insects get too big which they do w/ the exception of BSFL
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
BSFL are great for babies they can be left in the bowl I just posted - dubias will also stay in there till the size gets too big then they can get out but by that time your dragon will probably be only eating once per day - he needs salads every morning I would put the BSFL on top that will draw him to the salad bowl -- dust the insects dubias NOT the BSFL they are also called nutri grubs phoenix worms and calci worms -- dubias can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium fed dubia food along w/ water crystals apples carrots squash all for hydration - I recommend you start getting feeders on line DO NOT rely on the pet stores --- had lots of people having issues feeding their dragons over this winter because of weather shortages etc ------------ you can stock up on dubias they keep for a long time - crickets however die off very quickly --- you can also stock up on super worms as well they can be kept in containers w/ lids w/ holes fed regular oatmeal along w/ carrots potatos for hydration -
I believe 6 months is considered a juvenile -- up till a year old--
If you feed dubias and BSFL that is a good combo along w/ some small super worms 1-3 only -- they can be added to the salads as well -- silk worms are a good staple feeder too --

Jamie2094o

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can use this bowl until the insects get too big which they do w/ the exception of BSFL
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
BSFL are great for babies they can be left in the bowl I just posted - dubias will also stay in there till the size gets too big then they can get out but by that time your dragon will probably be only eating once per day - he needs salads every morning I would put the BSFL on top that will draw him to the salad bowl -- dust the insects dubias NOT the BSFL they are also called nutri grubs phoenix worms and calci worms -- dubias can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium fed dubia food along w/ water crystals apples carrots squash all for hydration - I recommend you start getting feeders on line DO NOT rely on the pet stores --- had lots of people having issues feeding their dragons over this winter because of weather shortages etc ------------ you can stock up on dubias they keep for a long time - crickets however die off very quickly --- you can also stock up on super worms as well they can be kept in containers w/ lids w/ holes fed regular oatmeal along w/ carrots potatos for hydration -
I believe 6 months is considered a juvenile -- up till a year old--
If you feed dubias and BSFL that is a good combo along w/ some small super worms 1-3 only -- they can be added to the salads as well -- silk worms are a good staple feeder too --
Thanks for this. I’ve looked online and it’s definitely a better option so I will do that. I’ll look into getting Dubias and also BSFL. Would it be good to incorporate crickets too? In terms of hunting instinct for example to keep them alert? Maybe 1 feed of crickets every other day or something?
I’ll be using textured slate tiles (so there is grip), however would you recommend a seperate feeder tank for the baby beardie? What size roughly? I’ve seen 10 gallons (which is 37litres which in the UK I see litres more) - but for cost, would a plastic tub be okay or would it need to be transparent? - just looking at best for costing wise for the feeder tank.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for this. I’ve looked online and it’s definitely a better option so I will do that. I’ll look into getting Dubias and also BSFL. Would it be good to incorporate crickets too? In terms of hunting instinct for example to keep them alert? Maybe 1 feed of crickets every other day or something?
I’ll be using textured slate tiles (so there is grip), however would you recommend a seperate feeder tank for the baby beardie? What size roughly? I’ve seen 10 gallons (which is 37litres which in the UK I see litres more) - but for cost, would a plastic tub be okay or would it need to be transparent? - just looking at best for costing wise for the feeder tank.
I never used a feeder tank I used that bowl would get the salad ready set it down in front of him and add the BSFL in front of him so he could see the movement I also hand fed a few to him before luring him to the bowl - he got to where he would sit on his log and wait for me to come w/ the food in the mornings- it was a daily routine and he was still a little ****- he was meaner than my older one hiccup- took longer to get him hand tamed-
I added the roaches about a hr later - crickets will be harder to do but it's doable you would need to pull a leg off or two or you can use those as a second feeding - up to you - just dust one of the insects tho at one feeding not both- and don't dust the BSFL- use as many as you want to feed