• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Disease Risk/Management

BeardieBeginner

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have always known that animals can carry diseases that can be passed onto humans however despite working with animals, I've never worked with reptiles and have recently researched into taking on a bearded dragon needing a home.

I know you need to wash your hands after handling and cleaning however, I've heard people with opinions on what other precautions to take, can I have some advice on the below statements I was told you need to do please :)

- Clean all surfaces after handling ( for example, if a dragon was on the bed you must was all bedding immediately even if they didn't defecate)

-No use any appliances, phones/laptops while handling as the traces will be on your hands and go onto your appliances which in turn cannot be disinfected like hands and the same applies with work (I had always thought I could sit the dragon on my bed while I completed my university work by hand or laptop or while watching TV, however I've heard otherwise)

-Also you must change clothes every time you handle a dragon as the traces will be on your clothing and never so much as take a sip of water while handling a reptile as that will cause a salmonella outbreak to occur.

I am no way an expert in any animals and if the above are correct as I work with other animals and those precautions aren't a thing except the basics of hand washing to ensure no cross contamination between animals or for prevention of Salmonella.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Wow those are extreme measures that are certainly not necessary for anybody in normal health. If you have a serious autoimmune disorder are or otherwise extremely susceptible to germs, then *maybe* those measures would be needed, but otherwise, no. Wash hands after handling , of course disinfect anything that has gotten poop on it. That's about it.

BeardieBeginner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow those are extreme measures that are certainly not necessary for anybody in normal health. If you have a serious autoimmune disorder are or otherwise extremely susceptible to germs, then *maybe* those measures would be needed, but otherwise, no. Wash hands after handling , of course disinfect anything that has gotten poop on it. That's about it.

I believed it wasn't so extreme since the amount of people keeping reptiles but when you hear these things and you are a little bit of a germaphobe it's concerning. I had asked a lot of people and they all said the same as yourself, that general animal care and hygiene and it's pretty much the same as when I clean up after my guinea pigs I was shocked that another person with normal health was told the above 'rules' by a VET!

But thank you for taking the time to reply, it's incredibly helpful and puts my mind to ease.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
I believed it wasn't so extreme since the amount of people keeping reptiles but when you hear these things and you are a little bit of a germaphobe it's concerning. I had asked a lot of people and they all said the same as yourself, that general animal care and hygiene and it's pretty much the same as when I clean up after my guinea pigs I was shocked that another person with normal health was told the above 'rules' by a VET!

But thank you for taking the time to reply, it's incredibly helpful and puts my mind to ease.
Glad to hear it - and I'm thinking I would find a new vet if I were that person. Wow.