• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Diet Nutritional Information

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've found it's always good to give as wide a variety as possible, especially if they go off one type of food.

yellowrosesATX

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a question, I am in Texas and we have prickly pear cactus in our yard. The fruit (pear) are almost ripe and I noticed this list reads that they are very good for dragons. The fruit is full of very hard, tiny seeds. Would this cause threat of impaction as sand does? The seeds are rock hard but very small.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have a question, I am in Texas and we have prickly pear cactus in our yard. The fruit (pear) are almost ripe and I noticed this list reads that they are very good for dragons. The fruit is full of very hard, tiny seeds. Would this cause threat of impaction as sand does? The seeds are rock hard but very small.
Please pick the seeds out..... Most seeds are poison to them..... So pick em out than feed away

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What Luv said! I just bought cactus pear and fed them everything but the seeds , even though most of the fruit is seeds.

yellowrosesATX

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, it is more seeds that fruit. You are really dedicated to peel those prickly things and pick the seeds out. Thanks for the heads up, I will feed the cactus and skip the pears.

yellowrosesATX

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is an extremely useful link for finding the nutritional values of common beardie diet items.

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition List
So this lists cucumbers at a low nutritional value. Cucumbers have Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc, does low nutritional value just mean these vitamins and minerals are not of much use to dragons?

yellowrosesATX

Bearded Dragon Egg
So this lists cucumbers at a low nutritional value. Cucumbers have Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc, does low nutritional value just mean these vitamins and minerals are not of much use to dragons?[/QUOTE

Never mind, it turns out cucumber does have nutritional value: https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/vitamins/

Andrew69

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi can you help I've had my beardie nearly a yr now he looks healthy and has.good colour but he won't eat only 3or 4 meal worms twice a week if that should I be worried about him or is that normal

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Hi can you help I've had my beardie nearly a yr now he looks healthy and has.good colour but he won't eat only 3or 4 meal worms twice a week if that should I be worried about him or is that normal

I would recommend against mealworms. And at that age I believe he should be eating mainly vegetables and insects like every other day

rizwan

Bearded Dragon Egg
On the website it says silkworms are a good staple but the ca:p is 1:2.4? That's not good i thought?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Like most nutritional charts, it depends on the sample and study used. Silkworms are usually between 1:2 and 1:1, which is a pretty good ratio all things considered. And its not just about calcium, they have a high degree of mineral and vitamin content aside from those two that make them a good feeder to add to the mix. Try not to think of feeding in staples though. The more variety you can offer, the less likely you are to have nutritional shortcomings

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Nearly all insects have a higher concentration of phosphorous than calcium, which is why you dust and gut load them. This helps increase the calcium vs the phosphorous, but it still remains at best around 1:1, even after both those things. We shoot for the 2:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorous largely because they eat so many things that are the opposite ratio, and more heavily loaded with phosphorous. Most insects are much further towards the phosphorous end of that ratio (like roaches, crickets, mealworms, supers, etc that are around the 1:14 ratio), so silkworms at 1:1 or 1:2 are actually MUCH better, even though they arent quite what you want.

rizwan

Bearded Dragon Egg
1:14?? 14x the amount of phosphorous to Calcium??
Why are they not quite what you want?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What you want is a 2:1 ratio ideally. However, since most bugs are not anywhere near that, the ones that are closer have that advantage. Simply dusting silkworms will usually put them up in that range, whereas that is usually not true of other inverts.

Beardielizzy

Hatchling Dragon
My beardie doesn't seem interested in crickets any more ? It's weird ! It's like one morning she woke up and just wasn't having them ! Is it ok for the beardies to have worms and kale with calcium sprinkle and fruits/ veggies added in