• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

beard problem?

athazagoraphobia

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just got this girl back from a negligent home. She is very thin and I'm not sure what other problems she may have. The bottom of her beard has a smooth, leathery white patch of skin. When I had her a couple years ago this was not there. I am not very experienced with beardies so I dont know if this is normal? However I've never seen this on another dragon. Any ideas? Should I be worried?

2hx6845.jpg

2ztc2n6.jpg

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Sandy. Definitely an old battle wound. Do you know anything about her past?

athazagoraphobia

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I bought her as an adult a few years ago and had to hand her over to family because of living conditions. They live out of town so I've only gotten to see her recently, and took her home. They dont know whats happened to her.. didnt even notice the problem. She was in a large cage by herself so I dont see how it could be a battlescar. I do want to take her to the vet, but I'm in the process of moving and just spent money to get my cat spayed.. so I wont be able to until next month. Taking her home was an on the spot decision.. She looked horribly thin and I just couldnt leave her there.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
athazagoraphobia -Interesting screen name. The fear of being forgotten.

From the picture, the area appears to be a healed burn. Maybe from a bulb or heat rock. It doesn't appear to be infected from the photos, but it is hard to be certian from here.

I would pick up chlorhexadine (nolvasan) wash and give her a good bath with a soft bristle tooth brush, re-examine the area for irritations, open wounds or infectious tissue. I'd also put her thru a round of parasite treatment and feed her a heaping lot for the next few months.

*prowls thru papers looking for the one on "burns"*..............I'll find it eventually if you need it.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
athazagoraphobia said:
I bought her as an adult a few years ago and had to hand her over to family because of living conditions. They live out of town so I've only gotten to see her recently, and took her home. They dont know whats happened to her.. didnt even notice the problem. She was in a large cage by herself so I dont see how it could be a battlescar. I do want to take her to the vet, but I'm in the process of moving and just spent money to get my cat spayed.. so I wont be able to until next month. Taking her home was an on the spot decision.. She looked horribly thin and I just couldnt leave her there.

I don't mean to sound rude at all, but maybe your family should help you pay for a vet visit, since she was in their care when this happened? Is that an option? Or maybe just loan you the funds for a few weeks... I don't know your situation (or theirs)... just trying to help :-\

athazagoraphobia

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Lexi, that thought has already crossed my mind. I would ask if not for the fact that they are not doing well at all moneywise. I wont go into details but I know that is not an option unless I want to force them out of a bill :-\
Ladyknite, I don't *think* it is infected. I dont see any signs of irritation, but then again I am not knowledgeable on skin problems. I have given her two baths since I've gotten her back, but I only let her soak and swim. I thought it might have been a burn and asked if they had an electric heat rock (I hear they are death traps) but they said no. I realize she may have burned herself on anything else but I'm still worried it may be something else. I'm hoping it is only a scar. And of course I am feeding her a lot! And a large variety. She loves the waxworms :) Oh and nice job knowing what my name means :D

By the way I think she is stressed out. Is there anything I can do to calm her? Shes been very dark and her beard has been very red. She has huffed up at me twice since I've gotten her back here. It may be because she hasnt had so much attention in so long.. or because of the move.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She is probably going through relocation stress.

Did you take the viv with you?
What is your setup -
1. What is your UV light?
2. What are your temps?
3. What is your substrate?

athazagoraphobia

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a uvb and heatlamp. The bottom is sand. I have her in a large tubby right now.. I'm going to get an aquarium as soon as I can, already speaking to someone. I was not prepared at all to house her but I am picking up the things I need as I go along and she is much better off here than there. At least she is fed here.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Considering the neck, not knowing if it is a vulnerable area, I think i'd remove the sand and go with some non adhesive shelf liner. You can remove it and change it. (plus it can go in the laundry)

I tried to increase the picture to view the area just under the lip of the scales at the top. The area appears to be darker colored, possibly fungal, but it's hard to tell. Blowing the picture up made everything else quite blurry. Anyways, fungal infections are very common with burns, and with other issues relating to scales. This is usually combatted with antifungal topicals, and probiotics. What I'm seeing may not be really there..........after all, i am looking at a picture.