• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beard flex/gulp Help

Heroicchip

Bearded Dragon Egg
ive purchased my beardie about a month ago. He is approximately 3 y/o male. He does this gulping/flex with his beard and it has me concerned. He’s done it since the day I’ve gotten him. I was wondering if it’s a health concern or an intimidation act towards me from being scared. He seems to do it mostly when I’m trying to pick him up from inside his cage or if he ends up falling asleep outside the cage and I scoop him up to put him back in he’ll do it then too. He’s not quite tame yet. I’ve been spending many hours a day trying to calm him down when I take him out. I will slowly approach his cage and gently place my hand inside so he will notice me. Go to pick him up from underneath “he’ll try to back off” and then gently take him out. Anyways here’s a link to the video

His temps and uvb are in working order. No health issues I can visually see. Using the bathroom correctly.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's just a normal dragon thing. Mine do this like they are psyching themselves up for being touched or something.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Males will rent to do this especially, it either means he doesn't quite trust you so much, or you're reaching for him from above and he feels like he's in danger (they are still prey animals). But other than that it's completely normal lol mine does that to me all the time.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
He also might also just be telling you "I don't want to get back on the cage" [emoji23]

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk