• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking/UVB setup

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
I’m curious to see if this set up will work. Will he get the rays even though the basking spot isn’t directly under the UVB lam?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m curious to see if this set up will work. Will he get the rays even though the basking spot isn’t directly under the UVB lam?
What UVB bulb are you using? The screen looks to be a fine mesh --- and no he will not if this is the case--- it would need to be inside the tank and depending on the bulb it depend on inches from distance-- if you need help w/ hanging inside I can post some things to use -- from there we will go w/ distance of placement

rflyn0742

Hatchling Dragon
What UVB bulb are you using? The screen looks to be a fine mesh --- and no he will not if this is the case--- it would need to be inside the tank and depending on the bulb it depend on inches from distance-- if you need help w/ hanging inside I can post some things to use -- from there we will go w/ distance of placement
I have a T5 HO 10.0. The screen is metal. It’s the thrive 40gallon kit. I have a 120 gallon zen habitat on the way. Will I have better luck with the top on that? I had it like this since I got him and I just decided to switch it today. He was basking on the hammock under the uvb as well as the basking spot. He had no issues digesting. However I am starting to worry he may be developing MBD all 4 limbs look a little swollen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Placing the UVB on top of the screen like that is just fine. There should be ~18" of UVB penetration from that light bulb iirc. The screen does not "filter out" UVB like a pane of glass would.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a T5 HO 10.0. The screen is metal. It’s the thrive 40gallon kit. I have a 120 gallon zen habitat on the way. Will I have better luck with the top on that? I had it like this since I got him and I just decided to switch it today. He was basking on the hammock under the uvb as well as the basking spot. He had no issues digesting. However I am starting to worry he may be developing MBD all 4 limbs look a little swollen.
Please put it in the tank distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor--- the swelling may go down after its properly placed you will haft to watch and see --- he could be developing MBD or it could be gout as well but we wouldnt be able to know for sure about gout w/ out a uric acid test --- hopefully its not that and the swelling goes down after the UVB is in there correctly -- does he flinch at all when you touch his legs? Gout is very pain full but can be controlled w/ meds like allopurinol -- that would like I said need to be prescribed by a vet and uric acid test done --- also they would need to do a X ray to look at calcium levels for the MBD -- are you giving supplements? Calcium D3? W/ the UVB not properly placed hes not been able to absorb / synthesize his calcium properly -- here are some things to get the UVB into the tank
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line - potted plant wire hangers
I use this stuff it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips wrap around the fixturehttps://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You have a Zen coming --- I have 2 of them -- the UVB's are inside my tanks w/ a distance if 12-15 inches for the T 5-- I can post a pic of the tank if you like -- there is 2 metal bars inside the tank that you can use the straps I posted for you --

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The placement is good the UVB just needs to be inside the tank. -- Be sure to take the temperature of the basking spot with a temp gun (I ordered mine off of Amazon).