• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking Lamp

Uziestbean

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys I’m a new parent to the bearded dragon community and I have a young adult female that I got from a reptile store in a 40 gallon tank. Her basking lamp has been fine for the past few days and then today I noticed from the digital thermometer that the temperature is dropping. It was at around 93 but now it’s at 83. Is it still safe for her to be in or do I need to get a new light ASAP? I have work shortly and I’m afraid of the basking lamp goes down even more. Should I put the heater on in the house before I go?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys I’m a new parent to the bearded dragon community and I have a young adult female that I got from a reptile store in a 40 gallon tank. Her basking lamp has been fine for the past few days and then today I noticed from the digital thermometer that the temperature is dropping. It was at around 93 but now it’s at 83. Is it still safe for her to be in or do I need to get a new light ASAP? I have work shortly and I’m afraid of the basking lamp goes down even more. Should I put the heater on in the house before I go?
You need basking temps of 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a juvie/ adult --- it should be a bright white basking bulb that keeps those temps - where is the probe sitting ? It needs to be placed on the spot she basks --- what are you using for a UVB NO coils please --

Uziestbean

Hatchling Dragon
I’m not sure the kind it is I forgot. We had the boxes but I think my bf threw them out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m not sure the kind it is I forgot. We had the boxes but I think my bf threw them out.
Is that just a basking bulb? Shut the light off and look and tell me what it is please - is it a MVB which is a mercury vapor bulb that would have heat and UVB ?

Uziestbean

Hatchling Dragon
Is that just a basking bulb? Shut the light off and look and tell me what it is please - is it a MVB which is a mercury vapor bulb that would have heat and UVB ?
91E79A0D-5BF6-40D5-8B86-280DEA76B514.jpeg

Large Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture, ReptiSun 10.0
Compact UVB Fluorescent Bulb, and Repti Basking Spot Lamp

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 25269
Large Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture, ReptiSun 10.0
Compact UVB Fluorescent Bulb, and Repti Basking Spot Lamp
Spot light for basking is good - the UVB is junk and needs to be replaced along w/ the repti sand if your using it - the stick on can be used but for ambient temps only -- the food sampler stuff is no good as well - these kits are not any good as you need to replace alot of this stuff --- the first thing is the UVB-- replace w / this please
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" hood this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang onto it for a back up
get this bulb 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
Get this ASAP this place I sent you to is good and fast and they sell out very quickly -- these are the best on the market at this time -- you need to get a digital probe thermometer like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-thermometer.html I would get two - the stick on can go on the back wall and it will give ambient temps of the tank - that you will need to keep track of at nite time - they should be 65-75 -- the substrate can be replaced w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank from your local home improvement store - clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 solution --

Uziestbean

Hatchling Dragon
Spot light for basking is good - the UVB is junk and needs to be replaced along w/ the repti sand if your using it - the stick on can be used but for ambient temps only -- the food sampler stuff is no good as well - these kits are not any good as you need to replace alot of this stuff --- the first thing is the UVB-- replace w / this please
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" hood this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang onto it for a back up
get this bulb 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
Get this ASAP this place I sent you to is good and fast and they sell out very quickly -- these are the best on the market at this time -- you need to get a digital probe thermometer like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-thermometer.html I would get two - the stick on can go on the back wall and it will give ambient temps of the tank - that you will need to keep track of at nite time - they should be 65-75 -- the substrate can be replaced w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank from your local home improvement store - clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 solution --
Thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you!
Let me know if you need anymore help -- the basking temps need to be 105-110 for a baby taken w/ a digital probe thermometer place the probe on the place he sits for basking wait 10 minutes get temp- if you need websites for insects/ worms or help w/ feeding please ask I will post- he needs fresh salads every morning along w/ his staple insect-- they need to be dusted once per feeding do you have supplements?

Uziestbean

Hatchling Dragon
Yes I will definitely hit you up! And yes I have the supplements! I will fix those things you told me ASAP! Thank you so much!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I will definitely hit you up! And yes I have the supplements! I will fix those things you told me ASAP! Thank you so much!
Ok please do-- those two lighting things are the most important things in the tank they control their behavior and overall health- let me know when you get the UVB I will help you get it placed

Uziestbean

Hatchling Dragon
Ok please do-- those two lighting things are the most important things in the tank they control their behavior and overall health- let me know when you get the UVB I will help you get it placed
Hi Sadie I finally got my correct uvb light. Took awhile because when I first got it it wasn’t turning on so I had to return it in the mail and get a new one. Right now I have it sitting on top next to the basking light

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9

Uziestbean

Hatchling Dragon
Hi Sadie I finally got my correct uvb light. Took awhile because when I first got it it wasn’t turning on so I had to return it in the mail and get a new one. Right now I have it sitting on top next to the basking light

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9

Uziestbean

Hatchling Dragon
Okay it’s been some time and she went into a hiding spot. Does this mean she doesn’t like it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8

Uziestbean

Hatchling Dragon
Okay it’s been some time and she went into a hiding spot. Does this mean she doesn’t like it?
Okay I switched out the bulb which seems a little dimmer than the other time and now she’s sticking her head out. Sorry for the spam.

Attachments

• D242784B-1996-45AE-93A0-2A6AEF538C81.jpeg
    D242784B-1996-45AE-93A0-2A6AEF538C81.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay I switched out the bulb which seems a little dimmer than the other time and now she’s sticking her head out. Sorry for the spam.
Ok so the screen is a fine mesh or wide hole type? And you switched out the bulb? What bulb is in the 10.0 or 5.0?

Uziestbean

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so the screen is a fine mesh or wide hole type? And you switched out the bulb? What bulb is in the 10.0 or 5.0?
Screen top. We got one that came with both t5 and a t 10 I think. One seemed brighter and it was on for a few mins then she went into an unusual spot she never goes. When I switched the bulbs she came out. At first I used the bulb that’s was already in the Hood but I switched it out to the bulb that was in the thinner box.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Screen top. We got one that came with both t5 and a t 10 I think. One seemed brighter and it was on for a few mins then she went into an unusual spot she never goes. When I switched the bulbs she came out. At first I used the bulb that’s was already in the Hood but I switched it out to the bulb that was in the thinner box.
Please post a pic of the screen from above so I can see it--- you have the T 5 in now the bulb that was in the hood is a 5.0- it is not as strong as the T 5-- depending on your screen will determine placement of hood

Uziestbean

Hatchling Dragon
Please post a pic of the screen from above so I can see it--- you have the T 5 in now the bulb that was in the hood is a 5.0- it is not as strong as the T 5-- depending on your screen will determine placement of hood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok take your screen off place a piece of basking decor directly underneath- distance should be 12-15 inches-- or attach it under screen w/ same distance- you need the UVB unobstructed