• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Barely eating, barely basking

Metu.martyr

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, my sons dragon is approximately 11 months old and has over the past couple weeks slowed down in regards to his appetite. He was eating in total 20-30 super worms a day, now most days he won't eat one. He will eat his salads, but rarely has been going for protein. I tried to entice him with horn worms which he typically goes crazy for and he just gives them a lick and walks away. I tried crickets, which he historically has not like and loved them for one feeding and then refused to eat them after that feeding. He has also historically spent 85% of his day on the warm side of his enclosure though the past couple weeks has had a strong preference toward the dark side.

I don't think it's prebrumation, and he's not currently shedding. We live in south texas, our house is enever cooler than 73 or so where he is, and his enclosure is always within recommended temp / humidity guidelines. Please help me help him, or him assuage my concerns. I've been researching for days and it all points to prebrumation behavior though that feels so out of place to me.

TYIA

BeardiesForever45

Hatchling Dragon
Ok,
In short, there are a few ways to help food seem tastier.
1. Try a different insect. There are Dubia roaches -you said you've tried crickets- and (don't come after me) mealworms. Super worms are also great.
2. Dust your insects with a (SMALL) amount of bee pollen you can find on Amazon. It will sweeten things up a bit and may get your Beardie to eat it.
3. This one might be gross for you- but it has worked with many people. Blend you insects into either a powder or a 'dressing' for the salad. This is so you can get it to eat a little while you figure out another plan.
4. Hold your ground and schedule a vet appointment. While it may seem like all is lost, don't give up hope! Keep trying to give them insects and get them in with the vet to check if anything is wrong.

Metu.martyr

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok,
In short, there are a few ways to help food seem tastier.
1. Try a different insect. There are Dubia roaches -you said you've tried crickets- and (don't come after me) mealworms. Super worms are also great.
2. Dust your insects with a (SMALL) amount of bee pollen you can find on Amazon. It will sweeten things up a bit and may get your Beardie to eat it.
3. This one might be gross for you- but it has worked with many people. Blend you insects into either a powder or a 'dressing' for the salad. This is so you can get it to eat a little while you figure out another plan.
4. Hold your ground and schedule a vet appointment. While it may seem like all is lost, don't give up hope! Keep trying to give them insects and get them in with the vet to check if anything is wrong.

He loved Dubias for a few weeks, but worms and crickets he'll hunt, he got to the point where he would wait for the roaches to come to him. He got real lazy with them specifically, and wouldn't put much effort into catching them. I will give them another go though. I hate crickets with a passion.