• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Beardie enclosure

Ofwgty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone. Can you guys let me know if I’m on the right track? I have a baby beardie. I havent found a name yet. But it’s a baby I’m not sure what gender. I have a 75 watt basking light with a CHE also on the left side of my tank. I have a long UVB T8 light as well. Is my setup ok or is there anything I should change, add, or remove? Here are some pictures.. also have digital thermometers coming in the mail today

Attachments

• 7CE0F01C-E47A-4EEE-BB2B-81E15CBE455A.jpeg
    7CE0F01C-E47A-4EEE-BB2B-81E15CBE455A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 1EA18997-482C-4F27-8298-916FDC06F50C.jpeg
    1EA18997-482C-4F27-8298-916FDC06F50C.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone. Can you guys let me know if I’m on the right track? I have a baby beardie. I havent found a name yet. But it’s a baby I’m not sure what gender. I have a 75 watt basking light with a CHE also on the left side of my tank. I have a long UVB T8 light as well. Is my setup ok or is there anything I should change, add, or remove? Here are some pictures.. also have digital thermometers coming in the mail today
Welcome --- your tank is a what gallon? Heads up he wont be in it long- your going to need to upgrade that tank very soon--- you want to get a accurate basking temp w/ the digital when they come in -- basking temps should be 105-110 -- set it on the spot where he sits to bask for about 10 min then get the temp-- I see the screen is a wide hole type but for a T 8 it needs to be unobstructed - the T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen so I recommend you take the screen place it 3/4 on the tank place the UVB length wise across the top w/ the heat lamp next to it so they are together --- basking distance for your T 8 should be 6-8 inches directly under it -- you do not need the CHE if your tank is staying 65 or above at nite -- those are good for temps dropping below 65 - your dragon needs cool and dark at nite to sleep-- I would look at upgrading the tank to a 75-120 gallon tank - and also the UVB as well I would go w/ a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- what is the bulb in the fixture now ? If its a Thrive fixture I would look at getting rid of it all together -- and the Thrive bulb - they are no good - you can change the bulb out now to a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 its a way better UVB bulb -- if you have more questions please ask -- the UVB and basking temps are the two MOST IMPORANT things in the tank -- cannot stress that enough - its what keeps them eating and healthy and controls the behavior

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
He's gonna need a 120 gallon by the time he is full-sized. It truly makes a difference, I upgraded my five year old to a Zen Habitats and he never hides away like he used to anymore. He really takes advantage of the space!

Follow all of the husbandry information Sadie provided above as well, it will do you justice in the long run. Have your husbandry reviewed again by us once it's done being adjusted.

Ofwgty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok s
Welcome --- your tank is a what gallon? Heads up he wont be in it long- your going to need to upgrade that tank very soon--- you want to get a accurate basking temp w/ the digital when they come in -- basking temps should be 105-110 -- set it on the spot where he sits to bask for about 10 min then get the temp-- I see the screen is a wide hole type but for a T 8 it needs to be unobstructed - the T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen so I recommend you take the screen place it 3/4 on the tank place the UVB length wise across the top w/ the heat lamp next to it so they are together --- basking distance for your T 8 should be 6-8 inches directly under it -- you do not need the CHE if your tank is staying 65 or above at nite -- those are good for temps dropping below 65 - your dragon needs cool and dark at nite to sleep-- I would look at upgrading the tank to a 75-120 gallon tank - and also the UVB as well I would go w/ a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- what is the bulb in the fixture now ? If its a Thrive fixture I would look at getting rid of it all together -- and the Thrive bulb - they are no good - you can change the bulb out now to a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 its a way better UVB bulb -- if you have more questions please ask -- the UVB and basking temps are the two MOST IMPORANT things in the tank -- cannot stress that enough - its what keeps them eating and healthy and controls the behavior
o I just purchased a reptisun hood and t5 10.0 uvb and I do have a 100 watt thrive basking light. My tank is 20 gallons tall. My tank doesn’t go below 65 at night but I have trouble getting the temp to stay at 105-110. The new uvb is unobstructed besides the mesh top. He likes to sit on the net in the middle of the tank as well. Should I move the light closer? Won’t that heat up the other side?
oh and the cool side is about 82 degrees and the basking side is 90.1 slowly rising. I have the basking on and the CHE to help heat up the basking side. Am I doing anything wrong still?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ok s

o I just purchased a reptisun hood and t5 10.0 uvb and I do have a 100 watt thrive basking light. My tank is 20 gallons tall. My tank doesn’t go below 65 at night but I have trouble getting the temp to stay at 105-110. The new uvb is unobstructed besides the mesh top. He likes to sit on the net in the middle of the tank as well. Should I move the light closer? Won’t that heat up the other side?
oh and the cool side is about 82 degrees and the basking side is 90.1 slowly rising. I have the basking on and the CHE to help heat up the basking side. Am I doing anything wrong still?

upper your wattage on your basking bulb. You may need a 150. My guy is an adult so he stays at 95-105, but when I used the ReptiBasking Bulb 150 Watt his basking spot was 120 degrees. Had to remove it and stick with my 100 watt.

what are you taking temps with? Some methods aren't as accurate as others. I prefer a temp. gun (not one for human temperatures).

Ofwgty

Bearded Dragon Egg
upper your wattage on your basking bulb. You may need a 150. My guy is an adult so he stays at 95-105, but when I used the ReptiBasking Bulb 150 Watt his basking spot was 120 degrees. Had to remove it and stick with my 100 watt.

what are you taking temps with? Some methods aren't as accurate as others. I prefer a temp. gun (not one for human temperatures).
I have two digital thermos inside the enclosure. Right now the one on the basking area is 97.3 and the one on the ground that’s the cool side is 83.6 I’m going to upgrade the enclosure soon I know I need too

Ofwgty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you mean like this?? Also my basking light has heated one side up too 117 lol is that too hot?

Attachments

• 9F0F5E90-F020-4654-8768-6E713C3A6E77.jpeg
    9F0F5E90-F020-4654-8768-6E713C3A6E77.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you mean like this?? Also my basking light has heated one side up too 117 lol is that too hot?
Yes if it's 117 it is way too hot- 105-110 no hotter! Either lower the basking decor or the wattage of the bulb - I would try lowering your basking decor - if you haft to use two different ones do that - if it doesn't work get a lower wattage and keep.track of temps

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The thrive basking bulb is fine as long as it's solid white and keeps temps 105-110 no hotter-- cool side of tank around 80 is good - small tanks are very hard to keep temps- the UVB fixture you have coming is what length?

Ofwgty

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s 12”. And you mean solid white like the uvb? The basking is yellowish kind of like the light in your bedroom

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s 12”. And you mean solid white like the uvb? The basking is yellowish kind of like the light in your bedroom
Your 12" UVB fixture is not going to be long enough to go into a bigger tank - I recommend you return it and get a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med or Arcadia - I would recommend a Sunblaster but I am not sure whats going on w/ them right now - there have been people having issues w/ them so I would go w/ a Zoo Med for now-- the basking bulb you want a bright white bulb here are some links to show you what I am talking about
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html you want a 24"
you will need this bulb when he goes to a bigger tank like a 40+ gallon
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" and its currently out of stock
this basking bulb or similar to it
this would be trial and error w/ heat bulbs but for your 20 gallon I would start w/ a 75 watt -- but you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get the temps -- place it where he sits for basking wait 10 minutes or so then get the temp -- you do not want it over 110 -- you can find the basking bulbs and digital probe thermometer at Pet Smart or Petco ---

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Just keep adjusting your wattage and your placement of basking decorations / lighting. That temperature needs to be no hotter than 110, your guy will bake like a sauna.

I recommend putting the UVB diagonal and not vertical like that but its placement is good. There should be that good portion of the tank that he can go to get away from both lights.

kaithebabydragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, I really hate to say it but that tank is way too small. It looks like it's maybe 10 gallons? I would definetly upgrade him to a 20 gallon minimum for now, when he's full grown he'll need an at the bare minimum over 60 gallons, 75 gallons would be best, bigger is better. You will probably won't to replace the bulb with a slightly lower wattage as well because the 117 is too hot. I would keep it at 105-110. Also when you upgrade the tank you should upgrade the size of the uvb light as well.
Good luck with your new beardie!