• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby bearded shedding Not eating help

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Ok thank you. Do you think he has no appetite because of his uvb light? Or could it be from him being irritated by the shedding process?
I switched him to dubia roaches when he wasn’t eating the crickets a few weeks ago. Should I try the crickets again?

He was acting very sleepy today when I took him out a few times. I was trying to get him to eat but he wasn’t opening his mouth for anything. I gave him Reptiboost by syringe to help stimulate his appetite. Yesterday he ate a few bites of Repashy Beardie Buffet since it was the only thing he wanted to eat. Also Is Beardie buffet safe for a baby dragon to eat? He is only around 2 months old.
My Mikey was the same way with the crickets..still is, very rarely eats them! He loves his worms tho and dubias/hornworms. Definitely try a few crickets it wouldn't hurt! :) good luck..he is adorable!!

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
ooh also you could try giving him a nice warm bath as well! That helps with the shed and they say w/the shed they really feel lousy.

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
The buffet is good and its good hes eating it --- stick w/ your roaches and as soon as you get that UVB adjusted he should perk up and start eating --- but you must get those things fixed first before he will eat like he should be eating --- that UVB is crucial to him ---
Do you think he has no appetite because of his uvb light? YES!!

Baby dragons DO NOT brumate ----------- brumation does not start for a dragon till a year or older - UNLESS the dragon is over 300 grams --
Ok thank you so much for all your help!

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
Hi. I have a baby dragon too and she doesn't really eat much when she is shedding. At this age I think it stresses them out. Her appetite came back normally after the shed was over. Although I have a nice comfy hide for her, she's never used it. Your baby will be ok after that aggravating shed is over. A nice warm bath may help him also.

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Hi. I have a baby dragon too and she doesn't really eat much when she is shedding. At this age I think it stresses them out. Her appetite came back normally after the shed was over. Although I have a nice comfy hide for her, she's never used it. Your baby will be ok after that aggravating shed is over. A nice warm bath may help him also.
Yes I have been trying to give him a warm bath everyday to help with the shed also. I will adjust his UVB light to get it closer to him and hopefully his appetite will get better. I hope he starts to eat his roaches again today. I just worry because he is so tiny.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I have been trying to give him a warm bath everyday to help with the shed also. I will adjust his UVB light to get it closer to him and hopefully his appetite will get better. I hope he starts to eat his roaches again today. I just worry because he is so tiny.
You do not want to wait to long w/ out him eating - let me know how hes doing after you adjust the UVB - you should notice a difference right away

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Today I will go buy a new reptisun hood and the Reptisun 5.0 UVB reptile bulb. I think it will better to have the stronger UVB since it will help his appetite.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Today I will go buy a new reptisun hood and the Reptisun 5.0 UVB reptile bulb. I think it will better to have the stronger UVB since it will help his appetite.
You already have the same thing do not go buy another -- you need the T 8 on the 20 gallon do not go to something stronger till you get a bigger tank the T 8 is perfect for him now in the 20 gallon -- here is a pic of my 20 when I had it set up --- the dome hanging over the tank is a heat emitter -- ignore it --- I only used it for 2 days when I first got him -- the basking bulb is clamped on the very end of the tank and the UVB is towards it directly over his basking spot ---

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 15

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you I did the same with my tank. My baby beardie still does not have an appetite today. Checked all temperatures Basking 107 cool side is 88. I syringed the Reptiboost mixed in water. He took a few sips. He has pooped regular twice yesterday and twice today. I put in 5 Dubia roaches this morning however he has not eaten any of them. I bathed him in warm water today also. Hoping for some change in him soon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you I did the same with my tank. My baby beardie still does not have an appetite today. Checked all temperatures Basking 107 cool side is 88. I syringed the Reptiboost mixed in water. He took a few sips. He has pooped regular twice yesterday and twice today. I put in 5 Dubia roaches this morning however he has not eaten any of them. I bathed him in warm water today also. Hoping for some change in him soon.
Please post a pic of him and his tank ---- what is his behavior? Is he basking - its good hes pooping and drinking -

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Please post a pic of him and his tank ---- what is his behavior? Is he basking - its good hes pooping and drinking -

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I will as soon as I get back home
He’s basking but not too active . Hides under cave a lot. Last night he did eat a cricket and a Dubia roach. Today again has not eaten at all yet. I also attached some pictures of his tank.

Attachments

• 1698A024-4DC0-4CA6-8825-D81E25B9B5F2.jpeg
    1698A024-4DC0-4CA6-8825-D81E25B9B5F2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • DFF86ECD-6828-4C30-90EC-F707ED129BED.jpeg
    DFF86ECD-6828-4C30-90EC-F707ED129BED.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He’s basking but not too active . Hides under cave a lot. Last night he did eat a cricket and a Dubia roach. Today again has not eaten at all yet. I also attached some pictures of his tank.
Ok set up looks good --- hes eating thats good --- now we need him to eat more -- so I am going to recommend get him some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com order some medium for now DO NOT dust them --- feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder along w/ the dubias / crickets -- I would recommending going w/ dubias they are going to be easier to use for your salad bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
the BSFL and small dubia will not be able to escape out of that bowl - use the BSFL to lure him to the salads - feed first thing in the morning -- still dust your dubias tho 5 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ the calcium D3 - Vitamins 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated w/ the supplements --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder ---
how are you getting the temps in the tank I see no gauges --- please get a digital probe thermometer 2 of them one on the basking side and one on the cool side take the probe and place on the spot where hes basking wait 10 min get the temp -- 105-110 -- stick ons are good for ambient temps - these temps are extremely important for him to eat please get a digital probe hygrometer Exo Terra are good ones - you can google them -- you want the hygrometer probe on the back center wall it will read the whole tank -- 20-50 % is optimal --- nothing below 20 and over 70% --

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Ok set up looks good --- hes eating thats good --- now we need him to eat more -- so I am going to recommend get him some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com order some medium for now DO NOT dust them --- feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder along w/ the dubias / crickets -- I would recommending going w/ dubias they are going to be easier to use for your salad bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
the BSFL and small dubia will not be able to escape out of that bowl - use the BSFL to lure him to the salads - feed first thing in the morning -- still dust your dubias tho 5 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ the calcium D3 - Vitamins 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated w/ the supplements --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder ---
how are you getting the temps in the tank I see no gauges --- please get a digital probe thermometer 2 of them one on the basking side and one on the cool side take the probe and place on the spot where hes basking wait 10 min get the temp -- 105-110 -- stick ons are good for ambient temps - these temps are extremely important for him to eat please get a digital probe hygrometer Exo Terra are good ones - you can google them -- you want the hygrometer probe on the back center wall it will read the whole tank -- 20-50 % is optimal --- nothing below 20 and over 70% --
Ok great I will get the BSFL for him. I just got him to eat 1 cricket a few minutes ago but that’s it for today.
also yes I have the probe temperature gauge sitting on the side of the tank because I have been testing the tank moving it around all day long on each side. I also have a second probe in the package still. I will set up a probe on each side of the tank to always have a constant reading on each side.
I have been feeding him the dubias for the past few weeks. He does like them. I also give him a few crickets as a treat with dinner. He was doing so well until he started to shed. Hopefully he will start to get better soon.
Thanks for all the help again, Vanessa