• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby bearded shedding Not eating help

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Hi my baby bearded has stopped eating the last 2 days since the shedding started. Today he is hiding in his cave not sure if he is feeling warm. The temperatures seem fine appox. 105 basking temp and other side 85. I have syringed ReptiBoost supplement to boost his appetite but no luck. Any suggestions?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi my baby bearded has stopped eating the last 2 days since the shedding started. Today he is hiding in his cave not sure if he is feeling warm. The temperatures seem fine appox. 105 basking temp and other side 85. I have syringed ReptiBoost supplement to boost his appetite but no luck. Any suggestions?
Let's go over the uvb-- what are you using and where in the tank is it? The basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- please NO coils-- your dragon will go thru relocation stress and shedding can cause lack of appetite but for him to be hiding in his cave is not good

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Reptisun T8 desert for uvb located on top of the tank screen. We have him for 3 weeks so maybe not relocation stress but maybe the shedding could cause no appetite. He will not eat his dubia roaches for 2 days. I did give him some Repashy Beardie Buffet yesterday but today he will not eat anything. Keeps going into the cave which he has never done.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Reptisun T8 desert for uvb located on top of the tank screen. We have him for 3 weeks so maybe not relocation stress but maybe the shedding could cause no appetite. He will not eat his dubia roaches for 2 days. I did give him some Repashy Beardie Buffet yesterday but today he will not eat anything. Keeps going into the cave which he has never done.
Ok so check the basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer- temps need to be 105-110 for a baby--- Is there a clear plastic cover over the bulb? If there is take it off and put the fixture inside the tank- place a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb approx 6-8 inches - the screen is blocking approximately 30% of the rays and a cover even more- do this ASAP--

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
I can take the plastic cover off the reptisun bulb but how can the fixture be 6-8 inches away since the tank top screen was holding the Reptisun strip fixture? Is there a way the fixture can be held without the tank top screen ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can take the plastic cover off the reptisun bulb but how can the fixture be 6-8 inches away since the tank top screen was holding the Reptisun strip fixture? Is there a way the fixture can be held without the tank top screen ?
You can set the fixture width wise across the tank on one end w/ the screen butted up to it and the basking light set next to it- what size tank are you using?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
20 gallon. I also have a 10 gallon if I can position the uvb light fixture on that easier.
No leave him in the 20 gallon if you haft to set it at a angle so it's straddling over the tank- at a angle you can move decor around and the screen half way on -- how long is the T 8 fixture? The 20 gallon tank is not going to last long- he is going to need a bigger tank by the time he's 6 months for sure- optimal tank for a full size dragon is 75-120 gallon- I can post all kinds of info for you but you must get your uvb and basking temps correct- this is crucial to his overall health and behavior-

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
It also seems like his body is darker when I take him out of the cave. I thought maybe his tank was too hot and he was going in the cave to cool down?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok . The Reptisun fixture is 18” in length
Will it fit width wise across the tank? People have angled it across down on one end of the tank if it won't fit across- you just need to get so he can get under it 6-8 inches-

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
His tail shed yesterday but not his body yet. His body looks very hazy like it is getting ready to shed also.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It also seems like his body is darker when I take him out of the cave. I thought maybe his tank was too hot and he was going in the cave to cool down?
That is a possibility but you need to take the probe place it on the spot he basks for 10 minutes what wattage are you using? I used a 75 watt on mine when I had blaze in a 20 gallon I can post pics of it if you like

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
I just took him out of the tank to show you the skin changes

Attachments

• A9E223EE-F5F8-49FE-8672-25397A422549.jpeg
    A9E223EE-F5F8-49FE-8672-25397A422549.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 46DB225F-F7F2-47E5-BA93-FEC370447120.jpeg
    46DB225F-F7F2-47E5-BA93-FEC370447120.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just took him out of the tank to show you the skin changes
Yes hes getting ready to shed--- this would not cause him to hide out in his hide tho - incorrect basking temps and your UVB is behavior issue -- please get the UVB positioned like I recommended and the basking temps corrected if they need be - also you will need to upgrade the UVB to a 24" fixture when you get a bigger tank - distance and placement for the T 5 will be different from the T 8-- after getting those corrected you should see a difference in his behavior --- make sure your dusting his crickets w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding -- the UVB is what helps him absorb / synthesize the calcium hes eating - fresh salads should be offered every day I would order him some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com they are a great staple feeder feed as many as you want use those to lure him to the bowl -- add them in front of him to the salads I would get some large ones they are small - DO NOT dust them - they are calcium enriched - hand feed him those every morning before adding to the salad bowl that will start hand taming him -- I would get him switched over to dubia roaches they are a better feeder and easier to take care of -- your 10 gallon tank would be perfect for keeping roaches in --- www.dubiaroaches.com order the size NO bigger than the space between his eyes length wise-- winter is coming and people had a hard time getting staple feeders from the pet stores year - I would recommend getting this set up as soon as you can -- crickets are hard to keep they are escape artist and they stink - you can get some dubia food and some dubia dew for hydration - make sure your gut loading the crickets before feeding-- your dragon will get some hydration from the feeder but gets most of his hydration from the greens rinse before serving even if hes eating a little bit of the greens that is good - but his main diet is the protein for now that will switch up around the time hes a year so you want him started on salads now -- you can get him some small super worms feed 1-3 every other day as well NO meal worms they are too hard on babies stomachs -- you will want a bowl like this for the BSFL and the roaches https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
here is a nutrition website ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
but first you need to get that lighting set up correctly so he starts eating again

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Hi! Usually they lose their appetite during a shed. But do you think it could be the start of brumation?? Just a thought! Was he doing okay when you had him out..acting any different?

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Ok thank you. Do you think he has no appetite because of his uvb light? Or could it be from him being irritated by the shedding process?
I switched him to dubia roaches when he wasn’t eating the crickets a few weeks ago. Should I try the crickets again?
Hi! Usually they lose their appetite during a shed. But do you think it could be the start of brumation?? Just a thought! Was he doing okay when you had him out..acting any different?
He was acting very sleepy today when I took him out a few times. I was trying to get him to eat but he wasn’t opening his mouth for anything. I gave him Reptiboost by syringe to help stimulate his appetite. Yesterday he ate a few bites of Repashy Beardie Buffet since it was the only thing he wanted to eat. Also Is Beardie buffet safe for a baby dragon to eat? He is only around 2 months old.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok thank you. Do you think he has no appetite because of his uvb light? Or could it be from him being irritated by the shedding process?
I switched him to dubia roaches when he wasn’t eating the crickets a few weeks ago. Should I try the crickets again?

He was acting very sleepy today when I took him out a few times. I was trying to get him to eat but he wasn’t opening his mouth for anything. I gave him Reptiboost by syringe to help stimulate his appetite. Yesterday he ate a few bites of Repashy Beardie Buffet since it was the only thing he wanted to eat. Also Is Beardie buffet safe for a baby dragon to eat? He is only around 2 months old.
The buffet is good and its good hes eating it --- stick w/ your roaches and as soon as you get that UVB adjusted he should perk up and start eating --- but you must get those things fixed first before he will eat like he should be eating --- that UVB is crucial to him ---
Do you think he has no appetite because of his uvb light? YES!!
Baby dragons DO NOT brumate ----------- brumation does not start for a dragon till a year or older - UNLESS the dragon is over 300 grams --